Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:24:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEthios: Valiant Plume Saga - A 3d Zelda-Like With a Party of Heroes
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27
Print
Author Topic: Ethios: Valiant Plume Saga - A 3d Zelda-Like With a Party of Heroes  (Read 99245 times)
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 13, 2012, 11:53:29 PM »

Thanks guys.

I think I'll just redo the leaf textures and have the trees use the usual method, rather than billboards.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 12:12:25 AM by McMutton » Logged
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2012, 12:50:46 PM »

I've gotten Elle's new face finished:

« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 02:19:27 PM by McMutton » Logged
FawfulBeans
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2012, 09:03:53 AM »

This project looks beautiful. Can I ask how you go about creating the environments?
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 28, 2012, 10:23:16 AM »

Thanks, Fawful. (I've heard that you have fury)

I start off with Unity's terrain tools to create most of everything. For the water features, I take a screenshot of said terrain, where I've distinguished the path the rivers take, and use it as a reference in Blender, where I model the surface, following the form of the rivers.

For the cliffs, I've made a variety of cliff objects from a single rock, which I've rotated, scaled, warped, and such.

And then I just set them along the walls.

Trees and other vegetation also use the terrain tools.

So I've been working on modifying the combat controls to something that JWK5 suggested. The camera is still controlled by the mouse, but instead of two attack types spread over the left and right mouse buttons, attacks been streamlined to use just the left mouse button, and the right one's been made to target.

Attacking is rather simple: Holding down the button begins charging an attack. If the player releases the button before the charge finishes, then they do a normal attack. If it charges all the way, then it becomes a heavy attack.

That said, I should be able to get a little video out soon that shows all of this.
FawfulBeans
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2012, 06:15:17 AM »

Ahh, I see. That's pretty effective. Thanks, McMutton. (Rage is the apropriate dressing for a salad of evil.)

I asked because I wasn't sure how much attention one should give to filesize or how feasable creating the entire level in a 3d modeling program is. I had this idea that if you made the level out of a bunch of seperate pieces intead of one big model it would reduce filesize.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 04, 2012, 10:04:38 PM »

I couldn't say for sure, since I'm a total amateur at environment art.

Back to working on this, starting with getting Van done. (The actual fur is done in-game, so I just drew some on.)

Originally, I was going to have him wear a pair of normal gauntlets and use fisticuffs, but that wasn't over-the-top enough. Conversely, as it's probably too subtle to notice, I'm pushing the proportions a bit more. Bigger feet and hands/forearms, thinner shins, wider thighs, thinner waists.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 10:26:25 PM by McMutton » Logged
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 05, 2012, 05:29:34 AM »

Absolutely amazing work here. I like to peek at your art postings, they are are always a treat. This work is incredible.

Best of luck in your project.

Yeah.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: September 05, 2012, 06:33:58 AM »

Very nice. The fur on his collar looks a bit too over-rendered, maybe? I mean, maybe it could have less colors to match the style of the rest of his clothes. Nice work so far, though, really. You've got awesome art skills.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 11, 2012, 09:11:08 AM »

Your probably right about the fur, although it doesn't really matter since it isn't actually the fur. Neither is this:

I've finished the guards for the first city:

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 11, 2012, 06:34:07 PM »

And then some animations:

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: September 12, 2012, 04:46:29 AM »

Cool. I don't know if you're looking for critiques, but it looks like you could have a bit more up & down on the walk and some more twist in the hips. For the guard idle I would involve his body a bit more in the big arm movement, like have him tilt to the side a bit and maybe shift his hips as he brings his arm up, then have a minor impact when his fist hits his side... Also if the rifle is meant to be resting on the ground make sure it doesn't look like it's sliding.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 13, 2012, 09:51:36 AM »

Yeah, I see what you mean. The spear would be a lot easier to keep still if I were able to use IK in that arm, though.

Anyway, I've given the trees actual leaves rather than those billboard blobs. I've also set of a particle system for clouds:

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 14, 2012, 03:55:37 PM »

Just messing around with some weather:

You can also see the archway's lantern is able to light up, as well as an actual entryway to Highmill. As soon as I manage to stop floundering about, I'll be getting started on the actual area.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: September 15, 2012, 10:11:22 PM »

Really cool. Nice work, indeed. The trees look pretty good, and the rain's looking nice, as well.

jeko88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: September 16, 2012, 02:14:54 AM »

very very cool man!!! :O

i love this style!! Wink

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 16, 2012, 09:38:15 PM »

Thanks, guys. I've gotten the weather system implemented, so I'll throw up a video soon.

In the meantime, here's a dude's house:

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2012, 05:04:55 PM »

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2012, 02:26:16 PM »

Faces, ahoy!

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2012, 10:12:23 AM »

Now that all of the main heroes are done, I can do stuff like this:
Lynx
Level 5

Upstart Feline Miscreant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2012, 03:11:01 PM »

Winged brown-haired girl is cute!

The curly blond-haired guy is kind of offputting in some way, I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn on the hero at some point and reveal he's been a villain all along.  It may be something about the straight line over his eyes and his smirk.

Everyone else looks really young and he has much more adult (smaller) eyes than the rest, that may account for it.

Currently developing dot sneak - a minimalist stealth game
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic