Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 10:42:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEthios: Valiant Plume Saga - A 3d Zelda-Like With a Party of Heroes
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27
Print
Author Topic: Ethios: Valiant Plume Saga - A 3d Zelda-Like With a Party of Heroes  (Read 99310 times)
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 15, 2016, 08:23:24 AM »

Did a thing so that physics-driven cloth makes appropriate noises.

It's a script that watches the speed of specific vertices and plays from a selection of noises depending on how much it's moving around.

~~

Also, I'm building the main playable characters with a Defensive/Offensive/Mobility/Utility design in mind. Van is Mobility and Celeste is utility, but Celeste has wings and can fly, which is definitely a mobility thing. So I miiiiight swap the two and give Van wings instead. Thoughts?

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 15, 2016, 11:07:58 AM »

Good good!

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 16, 2016, 08:41:41 AM »

Yusss.

I've purchased Toony Colors Pro, and it's pretty gooood:

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 16, 2016, 09:27:45 AM »

OH! they have updated since last time, I was about to roll my own solution lol, well no need now! The only thing is that it doesn't have the conditional saturation of shadow like in the naruto game, that kinda flatten the color range of the image for me. I wonder how deep is their sketch option too ... They have source code or it's closed?

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 16, 2016, 09:31:49 AM »

You can unpack the shader files to access the source code, looks like. I'll probably go in later and add a shadow color map, myself.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: August 20, 2016, 11:32:48 AM »

So I recently discovered a game design thing about Design Pillars, which is a pretty cool method I somehow have never heard of as of yet.

Here's mine:

It's kinda cool how various facets of certain pillars ended up having interplay with other pillars, as denoted by the two-color boxes.
JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 20, 2016, 11:54:25 AM »

You may or may not find the two images I posted here of use, they are somewhat in the same vein as what you've found there.

In any case, keep up all the good work! Your project has always been one of my favorites on TIGS. CoffeeToast Right

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 20, 2016, 02:45:30 PM »

I prefer using proper gameplay loop ensemble to structure the production rates and progression rates. And I prefer using an extended version of psysal's causal chains http://psysal.livejournal.com/51995.html (notice how each end of chain have a repetitive element), it allow me to compose theme, story and gameplay seamlessly with gameplay mechanics at the end of the chain (basically show how a mechanics compose to higher theme, or to decompose theme into gameplay mechanics). It's likely that the interplay you observed point at your pillar just being a flatten version of the causal chain.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 22, 2016, 09:04:15 AM »

Thanks, JWK5; I do love me some charts, and yours are always pretty great!

That's a pretty neat thing too, Gimymblert. A bit more difficult, though.

Another shot at the clouds, using TCP's sss stuff, some blur effects, and slight transparency.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 24, 2016, 08:39:37 AM »

Cave of Ethios
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 24, 2016, 08:47:17 AM »

It's looking good!

FauxOperativeGames
Level 0

Hi there!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #411 on: August 24, 2016, 09:05:53 AM »

This game looks great, and is an AMAZING feat for a single programmer. So yeah, kudos to you this really kicks ass.

That being said, I can't abide the main female characters belly shirt.  Give her an undershirt!  I have to be honest I am just so tired of anime style game characters in belly shirts, or breast armor, or bikini armor or whatever it is.  She looks SO cool and well designed, but the belly shirt just ruins it for me.

Yeah, sorry to harp on a small detail like that, the game looks beautiful and your progress so far is very impressive. (Love the jump animation on the player, although the landing/walking seemed a bit jerky)

Ruin of the Reckless, now on Steam!
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 27, 2016, 10:51:39 AM »

Thanks, guys!

A fair complaint, FauxOperativeGames. I quite like the design myself, but I was planning on having alternate outfits throughout the game that can be equipped. I've a couple more designs:

True on the animations, too. I haven't made a landing animation yet, and I need to do some blending stuff between the various movement speed animations.

Progress on the cave, too:

I'm trying out something new for environment textures: just solid colors, a slightly altered AO bake, and a normal map overlay.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 27, 2016, 11:00:51 AM »

The new constume is looking on point Shocked

freank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #414 on: August 27, 2016, 11:45:00 PM »

very nice and cute ! Good work !

My last game:

Supporter of
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 29, 2016, 11:34:53 AM »

Thanks guys!

Celeste's getting a big change- since I made Van a bird person instead, we're flip-flopping and she gets to be a dragon. I thought I'd make them more draconic. The end result is this:

I also found an old image of Celeste with a cool hat, so I decided to throw that in:

It's a living hat that eats things and changes their nature. You can use it for what is essentially alchemy.
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 29, 2016, 01:16:00 PM »

I like the ears. :D I'm not sure if i would associate 'dragon', though. Maybe additional horns would look cool.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 03, 2016, 11:31:23 AM »

Thank'eh!

I had an idea for lore stuff about races.

So you've got two main Archdeities: The Wysteria King, ruler of Chaos and Form, and the Archon Maiden, overseer of Order and Space/Time.

You've also got two main races, each one tied to either of the Archdeities:
-Humans are children of the Wysteria King, and embody the Chaos that he rules over, so any given human can look wildly different, as you've seen- They have a wide variety of types, which are categorized by Tribes.
-Grell are children of the Archon Maiden, so they embody Order. As such, they're very consistent in form, with little to no variation.

So Grell are Grell and look like Grell, and humans are whatever the hell I want, which is pretty cool. I probably won't end up calling them 'Humans', though.

Here's a few concepts, too.

-A new design for Argyle, taking the race thing into consideration:

He's of the Gargan Tribe. They're large humanoids with stony skin and literal stone outcroppings that resemble hair, horns, and other stuff. Your typical Gargan goes at a slower pace than most other races. Argyle, for example, has a sleep cycle stretched out over a longer time, so he can go strong for three days before sleeping like a rock for the next three.

-This guy Balzac is also a Gargan, but he's abnormally energetic for one. Also he has a cannon shield.

-You might come across one of these automaton knightess' in your travels. You can challenge them to battle, where a victory will be rewarded with cool stuff and the history of their fallen kingdom.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 03, 2016, 12:09:07 PM »

that's cool!

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 12, 2016, 01:06:37 PM »

I've begun reprogramming the player code from scratch. This time, though, I'll be using a state machine from the get-go, as opposed to the previous iteration where it was added in afterwards. It's going SO much smoother this time!

I've also started doing some stagger and knockback stuff (Click the GIF for a GFY)

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic