Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 03:28:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEthios: Valiant Plume Saga - A 3d Zelda-Like With a Party of Heroes
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27
Print
Author Topic: Ethios: Valiant Plume Saga - A 3d Zelda-Like With a Party of Heroes  (Read 99293 times)
Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #440 on: February 23, 2017, 08:34:36 PM »

i like how theres the sound of rustling cloth as you fly, really adds a fair bit to immersion and its such a small detail too. the thunderhead sound effects sound almost too distant all the time, id almost suggest focusing a single sound emitter on each sphere as it is made, but i dunno how difficult that is to do. itd be awesome if you could pull it off though.

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 04, 2017, 09:36:25 AM »

I like flying in games.  Your interpretation is just awesome - I get a real sense of vertigo and the FOV is spot on!

Yusss. It feels alright to have the camera control your flight direction and all that?

i like how theres the sound of rustling cloth as you fly, really adds a fair bit to immersion and its such a small detail too. the thunderhead sound effects sound almost too distant all the time, id almost suggest focusing a single sound emitter on each sphere as it is made, but i dunno how difficult that is to do. itd be awesome if you could pull it off though.

Incidentally, I actually intended for the cloth to sound like wind as well... But if it's good like that, then that works, too!

For the thunderheads, I was lazy and just played a couple of rolling thunder ambient videos during the filming as filler- I'll probably do as you suggest once I get the sound effects.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 19, 2017, 08:21:35 AM »

I tried a new method for easily creating normal maps, and it turned out fantastic:

It ended up being the opposite of the usual method, where I take the texture...

...And model the detail that only exists on the texture over it...

...And then bake it down, which results in a superbly crisp normal map
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 19, 2017, 12:55:25 PM »

That's polycount worthy post here!

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #444 on: March 22, 2017, 11:46:22 PM »

haha, yup, there's a lot of those in this devlog  Grin

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #445 on: May 11, 2017, 09:37:40 AM »

Yusss

Also, last Gil update forever. Promise.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #446 on: May 11, 2017, 04:39:34 PM »

Well we are concern about the game coming out, but in reality we would watch this thread forever lol

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: September 10, 2017, 10:53:51 AM »

So I had an idea!

The story I've been working with for this game is a bit too much for a first project. The areas and levels and characters would take forever, most likely.

BUT, that doesn't mean that there aren't other stories that can be told! So I've decided to stop this storyline, and start on a new one that takes place a good deal prior to this one.

The same characters are involved, but the story I'm working on now is much shorter and easier to deal with- probably about 1/4 - 1/3 the scope of the original one.

Nothing is set in stone just yet, but it deals with Ellie and Gil meeting and befriending Van.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: September 10, 2017, 11:02:44 AM »

Other changes- I finally figured out what Gil's ideal weapon is.

It's either gonna be called an Archdriver or Impact Lance. Essentially a giant, handheld pile driver/lance thing!

It ties in much better with his mechanics- You charge the weapon up in different ways depending on which particular one you're wielding. This particular one has a central rotor that spins and loads up the three pistons. Once all three are readied, you can press the charge button again to fire the driver.

Timing is important when firing it off. If you do it just as the attack is connecting, it'll maximize the damage output, shatter defenses, and throw enemies back. Too early or too late and it'll jolt Gil off-balance, minimizing the damage and making the attack recovery take longer.

There's also gonna be a system much like DMC4's Exceed, where if you press the charge button just as an attack hits, you'll immediately gain a level of charge.

I've been doing some FX stuff, too. Dust poofs are the best!

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #449 on: September 10, 2017, 12:44:35 PM »

It's the ff15 of indie arpg, I hope you will meet similar relative success at the end, ff15 did well!

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #450 on: September 20, 2017, 09:46:18 AM »

Thanks! The smaller scale should help quite a bit in that regard.

The story change also comes with a slight renaming, since the "Key" part was story related. For now, I've got a less specific title, and am working a bit on the logo:

Ethios is the world the game takes place in, Valiant Plume is the name of the heroes' group, and it might just get a bunch of sequels making it a saga.

I'm also working on some nice, snowy environment stuff:

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 20, 2017, 01:37:44 PM »

Sell the season pass right away, episodic tend to falter a bit in sales (and mindshare) with each new releases, unless the story hooks are planned in amazing fashion, and there is an actual progression of quality and gameplay hook. So don't overload all gameplay idea right away, but have at least one notable one per episode. At least that's what my survey of non story telltale like game seems to imply.

But since this game dev has been going for so long, the business part might not be that important lol Anticipating your next move, you are doing great!

Ayrik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 20, 2017, 02:42:14 PM »

This is looking amazing. I can't believe you've been working on this project for 7 years though Shocked Shocked Shocked that's such a long time... Hand Thumbs Up Left
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 21, 2017, 12:39:07 PM »

This is looking amazing. I can't believe you've been working on this project for 7 years though Shocked Shocked Shocked that's such a long time...

Thanks! And I definitely know what you mean- I can barely believe it myself, sometimes.

Thanks, as well, Gimymblert. It's not actually gonna be episodic, as such. Just a bunch of self-contained stories featuring the same main characters. Not to say, of course, that there won't be some sort of overarching narrative hook, eventually. Those are still some good points, though- I'll keep 'em in mind!

I've got a picture to post, but my internet's deciding to be EXTRA SHITTY today. Maybe later.  Lips Sealed
Zaeche
Level 0

Is 'story' the words, the meaning, or the telling?

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 21, 2017, 08:05:45 PM »

I can't believe I just came across this Wizard This is some terrific work Mister McMutton (I needed that third alliterated syllable).

As well, I have to say the flight mechanics/presentation/feel is downright inspiring (there's a small side-project I've been whittling away on that hinges on flight as it's main conceit; playing the demo has really help slot some of the pieces into place, so, thank you!).

Coming soon (Unsolicited quotes unwelcome)
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 22, 2017, 12:10:30 PM »

Ah, dude- it's great to hear that I could be of help! Thank'eh!

Here's that stuff I promised:

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 22, 2017, 04:03:46 PM »

Took me a while to realized it was 3d and not an illustration lol (due to scrolling slowly)

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 24, 2017, 10:07:03 AM »

That means I win, right?

I decided to update Unity to get my hands on that tasty new Post-Processing Stack. Definitely a worthy idea:

Koicrow
Level 0

Cryptic Corvid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #458 on: September 24, 2017, 12:10:35 PM »

Those 3D models are incredible! I really love how everything looks so far. Definitely going to keep an eye on this thread. <3
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 24, 2017, 09:29:45 PM »

A note SEGI is now free and open source, it's a global illuminiation solution, I wonder if it can add something to your style.
https://github.com/sonicether/SEGI
Try also the free open source volumetric light
https://github.com/SlightlyMad/VolumetricLights

Those are high end effect though lol fortunately you already look good without them. I'm just interesting to see some image with them enable to see how it goes (pixar look?) Tongue

The GI particulary is fast when you disable the voxelization (if the cam don't move too much), work well in small space (though there is cascade for outdoor, but don't work very wel with vanilla unity terrain) maybe for some cinematic or climax scene (or some cave).

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic