Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 10:37:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsEthios: Valiant Plume Saga - A 3d Zelda-Like With a Party of Heroes
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27
Print
Author Topic: Ethios: Valiant Plume Saga - A 3d Zelda-Like With a Party of Heroes  (Read 99254 times)
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: October 25, 2017, 02:25:58 PM »

He is talking about the navmesh implementation of unity, which handle everything you just said :D

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #481 on: October 31, 2017, 10:21:14 AM »

He is talking about the navmesh implementation of unity, which handle everything you just said :D
I was talking about avoiding colliding with the wall.  The exact opposite of what the "Ghost Capsule" enemy did. Wink

The awareness part seems to refer to being aware of the player's character, not the environment.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 31, 2017, 08:42:42 PM »

I know what I said Wink
Agent Radius defines how close the agent center can get to a wall or a ledge.
https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/nav-BuildingNavMesh.html

The Navigation Areas define how difficult it is to walk across a specific area, the lower cost areas will be preferred during path finding. In addition each NavMesh Agent has an Area Mask which can be used to specify on which areas the agent can move.
https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/nav-AreasAndCosts.html

NavMesh Obstacle components can be used to describe obstacles the agents should avoid while navigating. For example the agents should avoid physics controlled objects, such as crates and barrels while moving.
https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/nav-CreateNavMeshObstacle.html

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #483 on: November 03, 2017, 06:04:56 PM »

I know what I said Wink
Agent Radius defines how close the agent center can get to a wall or a ledge.
https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/nav-BuildingNavMesh.html

The Navigation Areas define how difficult it is to walk across a specific area, the lower cost areas will be preferred during path finding. In addition each NavMesh Agent has an Area Mask which can be used to specify on which areas the agent can move.
https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/nav-AreasAndCosts.html

NavMesh Obstacle components can be used to describe obstacles the agents should avoid while navigating. For example the agents should avoid physics controlled objects, such as crates and barrels while moving.
https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/nav-CreateNavMeshObstacle.html
Ah! You mean the Unity Navmesh can do that!  Why didn't you say so?! Grin 

Because the Navmesh that he was talking about and showing with gif clearly did not do that.  Wink   Yeah, communication is a tricky business.  Some things can be misinterpreted.  Noir

(Obviously) I wasn't aware of that Navmesh feature, so thanks for mentioning that. 

Though, I'll just make my own navigation system because if all enemies follow the Navmesh then their movement could look uniform and predictble.  Plus, I'd like one that can be used by characters to deal with any type of surface (e.g. ceiling).

Manaflow
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 07, 2017, 07:01:03 PM »

This looks pretty cool. I'm always a fan of good old rpgs. I like how you show the evolution of the character designs on the front page. Gonna be following this one.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: November 09, 2017, 12:05:14 PM »

Though, I'll just make my own navigation system because if all enemies follow the Navmesh then their movement could look uniform and predictble.  Plus, I'd like one that can be used by characters to deal with any type of surface (e.g. ceiling).

You make a good point there, actually. I'll need to consider how to do navigation for flying enemies and stuff.

Thanks, ManaFlow- glad you like 'em!

Progress lately- I stumbled across an article about using Mecanim as a general-purpose state machine rather than just an animation one, so I thought I'd give it a try.

It's... It's like a whooooole new woooooorld!  Tears of Joy

(If you aren't familiar with Mecanim, all of the hexagonal nodes also contain their own sub-state machines. MOAR STATES!)

Nothing is visualized at the moment- I'm currently setting up everything to run through the machine, making sure it all works as it should before I really get into it.

Super useful for dodge/jump canceling and combos and stuff!
Chaoseiro
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #486 on: November 09, 2017, 01:27:26 PM »

You make a good point there, actually. I'll need to consider how to do navigation for flying enemies and stuff.

Progress lately- I stumbled across an article about using Mecanim as a general-purpose state machine rather than just an animation one, so I thought I'd give it a try.

(If you aren't familiar with Mecanim, all of the hexagonal nodes also contain their own sub-state machines. MOAR STATES!)

Nothing is visualized at the moment- I'm currently setting up everything to run through the machine, making sure it all works as it should before I really get into it.

This... this is madness!!

(Could you kindly share this article? Thanks!)

Making Games Like A Sir!
X-UniTMX, a Tiled TMX Importer for Unity3D
X-UniTMX Forum
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #487 on: November 09, 2017, 02:15:18 PM »

Yeah, navmesh can be useful for pathfinding to get from A to B and can be updated with static object but the character still needs to be aware of other things.   

For example, once the character is close to it's target, it still needs to be know if a certain type of attack movement is possible by not colliding with other characters or the environment.  I've done some "basic" AI that can deal with such issues but want to make it into one that can deal with as many situations as possible. Smiley

This... this is madness!!

(Could you kindly share this article? Thanks!)
Yep, if you're not careful you can end up with Mecanim Madness! Grin

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 09, 2017, 08:41:51 PM »

It's too late... Mecanim Madness has already set iiiiiiin!  WTF

Here's that article, Chaoseiro:
https://medium.com/the-unity-developers-handbook/dont-re-invent-finite-state-machines-how-to-repurpose-unity-s-animator-7c6c421e5785
io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #489 on: November 09, 2017, 09:22:33 PM »

It's too late... Mecanim Madness has already set iiiiiiin!  WTF
Blink Halloween season still lingers on. Blink

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #490 on: November 10, 2017, 12:51:39 AM »

It is a nice idea to use Unity Mecanim as FSM for a character, but IMHO watch out that it is "risky" in a project: now the animation (what you see on screen) controls the Actor (the logic), while generally it is the Actor that has to implement the logic indipendently from what you see on the screen (the logic is indipendent from the rendering part).

Basically, now if you want to replace your Mecanim for your character, or just replace a single animation with a different timing, your actor will not work anymore as intended.

Games:

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: November 10, 2017, 09:21:09 AM »

Hopefully it won't be too much of an issue- The intent is to have the animation pretty much divorced from the state machine (at least directly- I use Legacy animations, so they aren't compatible with state motions, anyway).

This'll be used purely to shift between the various states depending on player input. The only thing that the animations will inform is the attack animations and their Windup-Active-Recovery states, as well as animation length for how long you get stuck in certain states.

It's actually running as a simulacrum of actual gameplay, at the moment, despite not having any animations attached to it- or even a character at all.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 11:41:12 AM by McMutton » Logged
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: December 12, 2017, 09:17:38 AM »

Finally getting back into it!

Have some jumping and plunging attacks- though these are just rough placeholder animations for now.

(Click for GFY)
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 13, 2017, 10:52:01 AM »

I'm super late in the navmesh stuff but to keep it short, all concern can be adressed because:
- you have a special raycast inside the navmesh space, cheaper than physic raycast, it adress knowing if your move will collide stuff.
- you can have multiple navmesh, and have them move relative to each other
- you can have navmesh in their own local coordinate, which mean ceiling and wall are navigatable.
- you can bake navmesh at runtime
- offlink is how you bridge different navmesh
- each object can have a specific navmesh (so flying don't have trouble)
- you can assign weight to navmesh region, they can be changed dynamically I think (need to check)
- If you are still bothered, you can still hijeck the data to build on top your own solution, like capturing the navmesh actual mesh data (vertex and polygon) or precompute waypoint path and baking them (which I might do for a fake town simulation procedurally generated, after generation time, to have npc routine to POI)

Assuming unity navmesh

Ordnas
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: December 15, 2017, 12:57:59 AM »

Finally getting back into it!

Have some jumping and plunging attacks- though these are just rough placeholder animations for now.

(Click for GFY)

Very cool!  Wink

Games:

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: December 15, 2017, 12:44:36 PM »

Thanks!

Doing this lady, too:

Zaeche
Level 0

Is 'story' the words, the meaning, or the telling?

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 16, 2017, 07:31:39 PM »

I love the cleanness of your 3D work! I like her design too  Hand Thumbs Up Right

I'm curious: do you use a rigging solution or prefer to slog through setting up the rigs manually?

Coming soon (Unsolicited quotes unwelcome)
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 17, 2017, 05:45:02 AM »

Hey, thanks!

Are Blender's Automatic Weights a rigging solution? Sometimes I'll use them to get a big chunk of it done, and then just refine it if need be with a really weak Add brush.

Other times I do cheat a bit by reusing already-rigged components from other characters. For her, I took the arms, hands, and base head from somewhere else, so they're already rigged up.

I sometimes model some sections using separate mesh pieces- this character's legs, for example, are made up of eight separate pieces, so rigging them up was super easy. Pretty much just getting a huge, full-weight brush and going over the piece, and then rig a bit of it to nearby bones if need be.

So it's mostly the latter, but I've found ways to make it a lot easier.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: January 07, 2018, 01:29:46 PM »

Almost done

io3 creations
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #499 on: January 09, 2018, 04:00:47 PM »

I'm super late in the navmesh stuff but to keep it short, all concern can be adressed because:
- you have a special raycast inside the navmesh space, cheaper than physic raycast, it adress knowing if your move will collide stuff.
- you can have multiple navmesh, and have them move relative to each other
- you can have navmesh in their own local coordinate, which mean ceiling and wall are navigatable.
- you can bake navmesh at runtime
- offlink is how you bridge different navmesh
- each object can have a specific navmesh (so flying don't have trouble)
- you can assign weight to navmesh region, they can be changed dynamically I think (need to check)
- If you are still bothered, you can still hijeck the data to build on top your own solution, like capturing the navmesh actual mesh data (vertex and polygon) or precompute waypoint path and baking them (which I might do for a fake town simulation procedurally generated, after generation time, to have npc routine to POI)

Assuming unity navmesh

Thanks for the notes.   Hand Thumbs Up LeftSmiley
At this point, I'd say my system is working fine for me but I'll look into some of the points you mentioned since those might be useful in certain situations.

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic