Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 12:43:31 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeMinecraft/Dwarf Fortress/Infiniminer, see where this is going yet?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Minecraft/Dwarf Fortress/Infiniminer, see where this is going yet?  (Read 12022 times)
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« on: June 21, 2010, 01:19:02 AM »

As the title implies, I love Minecraft and Dwarf Fortress, and just for the record, it would be godlike if they were combined.

But this is not the main point of this post.

I want to start making something along these lines, as in:
- Tile based 3D world, where each tile can have a material and properties
- Creatures and things that can live in this world
- A player who can move around the world obeying gravity etc. and interact with the tiles

Other stuff like water would be added and I would deal with that at a later point.

But what I'm asking, is how do you think it would be best to go about this?

I have some coding experience, and a lot of spare time to learn in, so I could well pick up C++ or Java and start something from scratch.

But is there an engine out there that would be suited to making something like this, or maybe just libraries to deal with some of the aspects?

I appreciate any advice people have to offer.
mark
Level 7

not actually fat, just posing.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2010, 02:46:06 AM »

Well this is basically what Minecraft is trying to achieve.

If you want to move DF into a 3D space you might have a problem because DF has so much data which would take a lot to replicate.

But if you feel that you can manage such a huge project all alone and that you will actually be able to keep up the spirit for it, and it will take some time, go for it!

I call it the KittenPunisher.

My lisp code told me to leave.
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 03:06:20 AM »

Thanks for the support, but any ideas on a framework/starting point?

Or even language advice, java maybe?7

Also a note, having re-read the above post, I'm not after anything complex at the moment, I just want to build a basic environment, then work from there.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 03:20:53 AM by Onza40 » Logged
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 03:23:12 AM »

Work in whatever you're comfortable with.

Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 03:48:45 AM »

That's the thing, I'm not very familiar with any language, I know coding basics, and fundamentals of game making, but nothing specific to a language, hence I wanted to see what people thought might be most appropriate before I dived in.

I do have a version of microsoft xna 3.1 for free due to my being a student so I might use that, anyone know of any reasons why not?
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2010, 06:22:04 AM »

Project is now being built in C# using XNA framework 3.1, any tips on how to go about the style I described would be greatly appreciated, if not, then I'm getting stuck in starting 9am GMT tomorrow Smiley
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 02:13:25 PM »

Time to move to devlog Wink

Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 01:16:28 PM »

If you want to move DF into a 3D space you might have a problem because DF has so much data which would take a lot to replicate.
DF is already 3d! its just rendered as 2d.
I think this would be perfectly possible. but like you said, this is what df is trying to achieve.
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2010, 09:54:47 PM »

I think the key difference here is, DF is 3D but represented in 2D, my project is full 3D and played from first person.

Also, the main purpose of DF is a sim/strategy/management game, what I'm aiming for is an RPG which will probably be story driven to some extent, with a very cool magic system (I promise very exciting things).

I'm making good headway with XNA anyway, and my teammate and myself will post in devlogs once we've started coding for the game itself (just practicing atm), then in feedback once we have something playable.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2010, 04:49:34 AM »

I'm not very familiar with any language, I know coding basics, and fundamentals of game making, but nothing specific to a language

I think a 3D first person game with a scope similar to Dwarf Fortress seems like way too large of a project for you to take on with the experience you seem to have. Undecided

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2010, 12:41:46 AM »

Hmm, might be, but still, I'm going to see what I can get working, even if I simplify it a lot just to get a basic framework up and running, try out some of the more interesting aspects I have planned, then I can put more work into it from there.

Xna is pretty easy to work with as well.
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2010, 04:42:31 PM »

I think a 3D first person game with a scope similar to Dwarf Fortress seems like way too large of a project for you to take on with the experience you seem to have. Undecided

Don't listen to this guy. Do it. Do it hard and never look back.

If you fail, you will learn. If you succeed, you will have created a miracle of a game.
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2010, 01:26:23 AM »

@Paint by Numbers - Cheers! Be assured that the planning is almost done, and the project will soon be well underway Smiley
adelhaid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2010, 11:23:25 AM »

You could try to contact the guy form goblin camp:

http://www.goblincamp.com/

He's interested in building a game like you specified, only without the 3d (for the moment).
After completing the skeleton of the game, he'll release it as open source. If you don't know how to code such a game, the community which will be built around it could teach you.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2010, 11:44:58 AM »

Don't listen to this guy. Do it. Do it hard and never look back.

If you fail, you will learn. If you succeed, you will have created a miracle of a game.

I certainly didn't mean to discourage anyone -- and it seems thankfully I haven't. I've just seen way too many inexperienced programmers with too wast a project for their first game crash and burn before even clearing the launchpad.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2010, 12:22:52 PM »

I certainly didn't mean to discourage anyone -- and it seems thankfully I haven't. I've just seen way too many inexperienced programmers with too wast a project for their first game crash and burn before even clearing the launchpad.

Oh, I totally get you. Normally I would agree, but I have a feeling there will be no burning out here.

TIGSource generally advises people to start small, and that's fine, but I think that unless you are clinically depressed or anything else that would easily make you give up, you should shoot for the stars, no matter how little you know.
DeadPixel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2010, 08:21:36 PM »

I would recommend the lidgren network library to handle your net code bit.  It even has fancy XNA extension ready for you.  Linky

Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2010, 08:10:13 AM »

Cheers for the link, but I'm not sure if we'll add any multiplayer at this point, and the block-based world is up in the air atm.
How would you guys feels about a more realistic world with slightly less generation/mining elements, more set pieces and carefully handcrafted dungeons?
World interaction and dynamic modification will still be a large part of the game, but less mining, more exploration to find entrances to places.
DrOctapu
Level 0

Brutally modest.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2010, 12:40:15 AM »

Cheers for the link, but I'm not sure if we'll add any multiplayer at this point, and the block-based world is up in the air atm.
How would you guys feels about a more realistic world with slightly less generation/mining elements, more set pieces and carefully handcrafted dungeons?
World interaction and dynamic modification will still be a large part of the game, but less mining, more exploration to find entrances to places.
Sounds cool, is this project still active?

Add me on...
 Desura | Steam
Onza40
Level 0

YES

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2010, 03:18:42 PM »

Project is still live, but the biggest issue here is still the choice of what to build it in, I am exploring XNA at the moment.
I am also exploring integrating different gameplay styles into one game, see sigma star saga for how to do it right, rpg, adventure, scrolling shooter ftw.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic