Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:53:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioDiscussion: Open-voice acting project?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Discussion: Open-voice acting project?  (Read 3488 times)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« on: June 22, 2010, 07:28:02 PM »

This is in no way related to my current project (which doesn't even use voiceovers), but it occured to me during dinner tonight. What if there was an accredited, open set of vocal samples - things like vowel and especially distinguished consonant sounds, a few prefixes and suffixes, and maybe a small group of gaming-relevant variable terms - each from different users available to cross-integrate into games?

Nothing huge, maybe 40-50 total; like 8 each of terms and prefix/suffixes, and 16 distinguishable (and chainable) sounds that could be combined into semi-cohesive words. Part of the fun is that some words might not be possibly created correctly at all, and some "cratiff misprununsiatin'" could add a little more flavor and personality to various characters as a result?

Clearly, main vowel sounds should be a must; as well as very distinguished letters like "L" "S" and either "M" or "N" (choice thereof?). Maybe a couple of complexified ones (th/sh/ch come to mind - but this may be covered in prefix/suffix instead). As far as gaming terms, I'd ideally like to stick to a couple of very core things, like punch/kick/shot/spell; but any approximate synonym could take their place. Punch, for example, could also be voiced as "ken," "fist," "blow," etc. (or even other foreign languages thereof). Finally, a good and bad sportsmanship line for both winning and losing. I'd like to keep the whole collection under 50 samples apiece though, possibly under 40 if it doesn't cripple the purpose of it.

I'm interested in hearing what the community here thinks of this idea for now. If there's enough interest to start it up; and we can agree on the content thereof, I'd even request the project become stickied.

noah!
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 07:50:53 PM »

You could always just use Microsoft Sam... ;-)
N. Crayon
Level 0

A man of little talent.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 12:26:11 PM »

I'm up for it, and I support this idea. Having an open-source voice acting depository could be useful, and the way you're suggesting to go about this is pretty neat.
AndroidScholar1
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 04:58:54 PM »

Problem is, you have to take into account different tones - having one tone throughout would sort it, but have some very stale dialogue as a result, and having different tones can result in a clearly artificial voice (for example, the deliberate jumbled-together style of GLaDOs (sp?) from Portal).

Still though, neat project, it'll be good to see where it goes.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 09:37:49 PM »

The idea so far:

01. Good Sport Win
02. Bad Sport Win (rub it in)
03. Good Sport Lose
04. Bad Sport Lose
05. Won/One
06. Punch synonym
07. Kick synonym
08. Strike/Slash synonym

09. "A" (take your pick)
10. "E"
11. "I" (eye)
12. "i" (ih)
13. "O" (oh)
14. "uh"
15. "yoo" (you, eww)
16. "M"/"N"
17. "C"/"K"/"Qu" (kuh/kwuh)
18. "B"/"P"
19. "S"/"Z"
20. "G"/"J"
21. "L"
22. "R" (or "rr")
23. "T"
24. "V"/"W"
25. "Ch"/"Sh"
26. "St"

27. "Pre-"
28. "Un-"
29. "Bi-" (By, Buy)
30. "Man-" (Man)
31. "Play" (Pray)
32. "Or"
33. "-ight" (Fight, right, might, bright - just not "eight")
34. "Gun"
35. "End"
36. "2" (To/Two/Too)
37. "-body" (Buddy)
38. "-ing"
39. "-ism"
40. "-tion" (Shin/Shun,-cion,)

What do you guys think of that?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic