Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 10:06:33 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingc0re: organism strategy
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: c0re: organism strategy  (Read 9546 times)
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2008, 10:19:37 AM »

Hi!
I'm new to the forums. Smiley I did know and visit it for quite a while now really impressed by the friendly and interesting community here.

With my first post I'd like to introduce you to a project I've been working on... well for years now. In different forms with different people and differing success.  :D  The footage you'll be seeing now is taken from a game the team is working on since Fall 2007. We're 4 young lads (or something like that) from Germany.

c0re is of course being developed 100% indy (I hope so, at least) and we do not intend to sell the game when it's done. Freeware.

Since the development is working quite well (the basic code is actually finished) (more or less) I chose to present you a little sneak-peek (or how do you call that?), so here we go:

"c0re" is an (multiplayer-)RTS (Real Time Strategy), which simulates the conflict between 2 lifeforms in an abstract way.
Although running in real time c0re plays on a (hexagonal) grid of panels. It's style moves somewhere between the microcosm and the world of  insects and invertebrates . We try to create something like a "meta-style" , which can be interpreted in many different ways.

With c0re our intention is to create a competitive game, which is easy to learn yet hard to master.
According to this the rules are relatively simple:

- There's only one ressource: Energy.
- The "building" of buildings and units, aswell as "research" etc. (known in almost every RTS out there) does no longer exist in c0re. (at least not in the traditional form)
- Each unit is able to transform to an attacking-unit, a defending-unit or a ressource-gathering-unit. It's up to the player how he uses each of his units.
- The game's units aren't different because of their specific parameters - they differ in the way they play.

All the 5 units (Core, Scion, Absorber, Parasite, Subcore) are absolutely different from each other and have to be used in the right constellation to be truly effective.
Still, c0re's goal is pretty classic: Destroy your enemy's stationary "Core". How the player achieves this is up to him.

The game has alreay been pre-developed in 2D and an (almost playable) alpha has been released. In the meantime the team changed, and now a 3D-Version is in development. We can't state an exact date for the final version's release. Still, with our team being pretty productive we estimate  Fall 2008 for a first beta.

The Team:

BaronCid
- Gamedesign
- project lead an management
- music, sound

Innovater:
- graphics and artdirection
- artist
- Portfolio: http://www.hyperreality.de (visit highly recommended!)

AnTeevY
- graphical programming (OGRE)
- audio-programming (IrrKlang)
- input-programming (OIS)
- game mechanics programming

Maxi
- network-programming
- responsible for webspace, forums and all the technical stuff Smiley
- later responsible for our websites and gameservers

Some material:

Some shots of 2D-c0re
http://www.developia.de/developia/viewprojectscreenshotgallery.php?cid=30682

First graphical concepts:

"Alpha"-models:

--------------------------------------------------------------> scroll please  Wink

a sneak-peek on the soundtrack:

c0re_intro:
http://home.arcor.de/baroncid/c0re_intro.mp3

c0re_scion:
http://home.arcor.de/baroncid/c0re_scion.mp3

c0re_down:
http://home.arcor.de/baroncid/Down.mp3

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We couldn't state any system requirements so far, but be sure that we try to allow even low-end-PCs to play it smoothly. Smiley

More stuff soon(ish)!
We're happy about every single comment!  :D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 10:28:18 AM by BaronCid » Logged

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 11:40:40 AM »

Kiss Kiss Kiss

jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 11:50:54 AM »

I really like most of the concepts and the soundtrack. The intro song is awesome, heavy bass reminds me of red alert 2. Smiley This is gonna be good!

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 06:20:32 AM »

wow! nice stuff here Smiley

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
axel
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 07:04:55 AM »

I think I'm in love Kiss

That is some absolutely sweet concept art you got there! And just yesterday I was thinking that we have too few decent indie RTSs around. Let alone freeware ones. The best of luck with this!

Chainsaw surgery.
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 12:34:15 PM »

Hey!
Thanks for the positive feedback so far. Smiley

BaronCid

I make (60s/70s) rock music. Listen to my band's new album here: www.speicher.bandcamp.com
Erik Svedäng
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 03:14:09 PM »

Interesting, I'm looking forward to screenshots from the 3d-version.

Latest news about my games: www.eriksvedang.com
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 02:26:47 AM »

Sounds interesting. I'm seeing a lot of phallic imagery, is that deliberate?

Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 06:52:15 AM »

Phallic imagery?  Shocked Huh?

Tongue

CagyBaronCid

(soon you'll see some early ingame-screenshots Wink We still have to finish and animate the 3D-models)

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 12:48:42 AM »

Looking really good so far! I'm not too sure about the name 'c0re' though.

Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 05:34:28 AM »

I'm not too sure about the name 'c0re' though.

Please explain.  Smiley

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 06:56:49 PM »

Looks great, but every time I read the name, I see 'orgasm strategy'.  Huh?

Radnom
Level 8

BANNED

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 08:30:36 PM »

I'm not too sure about the name 'c0re' though.

Please explain.  Smiley
to be very blunt, I don't like it  Undecided
For one thing, it's a bit too much like the name fl0w (four letters, a big O..). For a second thing, it doesn't really explain too much about the gameplay. I guess I don't really like the idea of having a zero in place of an o, as well.

I think a better name would help emphasize the 'one-resource' aspect of the game. Something to do with energy or something. 'c0re' doesn't really tell me much.

Still, that's only my personal opinion on the name, the rest of it is looking incredible enough to make up for it so far! :D

Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 04:52:27 AM »

Well... Why the heck is this game being so over-sexualized in this forum?  :D

to be very blunt, I don't like it 
For one thing, it's a bit too much like the name fl0w (four letters, a big O..). For a second thing, it doesn't really explain too much about the gameplay. I guess I don't really like the idea of having a zero in place of an o, as well.

I think a better name would help emphasize the 'one-resource' aspect of the game. Something to do with energy or something. 'c0re' doesn't really tell me much.

Maybe you are right. I should think about something like a poll...
Anyway, I like the name and most people I've asked aswell.
Since flOw covers the biological area (evolving of organisms (not orgasms))aswell the name could build something like a link. Anyway, I didn't actually intend this link. fl0w was released after I started working on the idea.

Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 11:10:29 AM »

I also love the concept art - like something from an old Metroid game, only more believably organic.  I also like the polygon stuff too.  I think you seem to have a nice strong visual style there, which a lot of 3D indie games seem to have trouble with.

I'm glad it's not just me.

We couldn't state any system requirements so far, but be sure that we try to allow even low-end-PCs to play it smoothly. Smiley

Nice to hear.  Smiley

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Lukas
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 11:41:43 AM »

By the way:

From now on we are open for name suggestions!   Grin

We also think that c0re isn't really the best name to choose after having thought about it again. Since the game isn't finished yet we can still change the final name. Actually we are not creative enough to come up with a better name so: Please assist us!

Thanks in advance, BaronCid

(Coregasm is a no-go!)

dankna
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 02:07:14 PM »

I think I would go with something like "Energy" or "Energy Economy" or something.  never hurts to tell people in the title what they're supposed to be enjoying, haha, and even if it sounds silly at first you kinda get used to it ^^'

Resist the urge to use typographical weirdness to make the name memorable.  All that sticks in people's memory is the fact that you did something typographically weird - like everyone else is doing.

PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 06:09:46 PM »

(Coregasm is a no-go!)

Why not? It's pretty catchy, orgasms and organisms aren't that far apart either and the involvement of cells and energy is pretty obvious... oww and it has a nice ring to it.  Cool

"Fun is rule."
Boder
Level 0

Player One

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 07:50:11 PM »

Pure Energy Organisms
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 08:07:16 PM »

(Coregasm is a no-go!)
Angry That was my great idea! Damn pre-emption!

How about Invertebrate?

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic