Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411485 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58427 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 05:43:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingStudent Game Project, A+
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Student Game Project, A+  (Read 2911 times)
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« on: March 10, 2008, 04:08:24 PM »

Bacteriophage is a project for a class I'm in. I'm a student at UCSC looking to be a game designer, and this is my first attempt at a game.

Its due tomorrow morning so this final edition is a little bit rushed. There are a few problems that need fixing, and over the next few weeks there will definitely be some updates and new versions.

I'd love to hear what people think of it, and this game isn't done yet, so any feedback will be thoughtfully taken into consideration and perhaps implemented.

Here's the link to the game:
http://www.yoyogames.com/games/show/27114

And a link to an extensive manual I had to write up for class:
http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dggqw3f3_122gzddb2cz

I recommend visiting the instructions before you play, it might be a bit confusing at first to the inexperienced.

I look forward to hearing people's feedback and criticism.

PS I haven't actually gotten an grade on this game, but as soon as I do, I'll be sure to post it.
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 06:18:55 PM »

Hey, can't play the game because it's game maker and I only have a mac but I just wanted to say that I'm also at UCSC.  Did you make the game for 80k or whatever the game making class is?  I'm a computer science major not a game design major but that's mainly just because I didn't want to be boxed in.  Anyway hope it goes well, let me know if you recommend the class.
mrfredman
Level 4

off on an adventure

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 05:56:19 PM »

I absolutely recommends this class. The professor is a good lecturer, and the first 20 minutes or so is spent showing a video game on the media theater screen (which is huge). Plus you get to make a game, which is always a fun challenge. Tests were a little hard, but really easy with minimal studying.
Also the final is gonna be fun, we have to design a non-video game, like a boardgame or something, and then go in and write an essay about it.
If you can, definitely take this class.
Pacian
Text Heavy
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 01:04:49 PM »

I like this game - the idea, the presentation and ambience.   Smiley

A few things stood out to me, though:

1. It seems weird how you go around spawning all these little viruses and when that chain reaction is over, a single virus spawns in the centre of the screen.  Maybe it could spawn in the location of the last cell to explode or something?

2. The respawn takes a while, and you can't move while it's happening.  It can be frustrating to see a white blood cell bearing down on you and be unable to do anything about it.

3. Too easy.  I never thought I'd say this about a game, as I suck at everything, but I only died once, and didn't really feel like the game was pushing me.

4. Have you tried playing the game for a few minutes?  I racked up half a million points and then the music stopped and all the cells disappeared.  Not sure if this happens every time or if I hit a random bug.

On the whole, though, I thought this was a polished and fun little game.  I'd be surprised if you didn't get a good grade.

(\ /)
(O.o) - Achtung, baby!
(> <)
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 04:13:14 PM »

Hey there!

Here are a couple of quick comments from my behalf.

First off, I think the main problem with this game is that it offers little in terms of mastership. Once you've played a few minutes, you've pretty much seen everything the game will be able to throw at you. There's nothing more to do/learn. How can this game satisfy both beginning and experienced players? How can you allow players to pick up and play this game and have fun while making sure that those who already played it still find something interesting in your game? I suggest to focus on depth of mechanics. Try to think of as many ways as possible for your player to reach his goal. It's one thing to explode and infect but could there be some way to infect while not dying? Could there be a way to protect yourself from the enemies? Is there some way to alter the traits of the virus (speed of movement, rotation, color, enemies I can or cannot infect, etc) using the basic mechanics? Would adding a second mechanic enhance or not the experience? These are all questions that you have to answer because your player asks them.

Linked to masterhsip are goals. The game offers only a few short-term goals which is pretty bad. Besides making chain explosions to score points, the player doesn't have anything else to do and has no other purpose in the game world. You have to provide enough goals to the player so he'll want to play again. You need much more than high scores. How about if you could alter the amount of explosions you could do by infecting different cells? Perhaps you could create cancers or diseases that allow you to become stronger? Perhaps you could think of a way to alter the play field so that the player has to use the movement mechanic in new ways. Perhaps you could create different types of enemies wich would have their own behaviors instead of just moving around randomly. Perhaps you could add blood streams that would alter your movement, pushing you in different directions... Try to think about your subject (viruses and stuff like that) and come up with various ways to keep the player wanting more. It's an interesting concept so you have alot of options with it.

In terms of emotional content, I feel like the player isn't part of the world. I mean, you're a virus detroying the body right? Well, why are all the colors so happy? Why doesn't the body react to the multiple cell destruction? Why can't I invade the whole body? Try to make me feel like an important part of experience you are offering

In terms of balance and difficulty, as stated before in a previous post, the game lacks challenge as of now. Of course adding more goals will change that since the player will have to master different things in order to truly win, but still, the player can easily become "invincible" once he knows when to blow up. There are many ways to fix that, like increase the amount of points needed to get an extra life every time the player scores one or make it that only certain cells give lives or simply just make the score limit higher. Be creative, it will work as long as the first extra life is easily achieved. 

Well, that's all I can say right now. Good job and keep at it. I know you've just started to work on game design so don't give up. It's a long and rocky road but it's not impossible to go through it. Smiley

Good job!
Guert

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 05:54:09 PM »

It was fun. Not as fun as Boomshine (which is in the same genre), but good for a student project.

I think it could use a lot more polish, though. There was a lot of pixelation issues (due to using a lower resolution and stretching it to full screen). Also, not being able to move diagonal felt a bit weird. There was also very little context explaining what I was, what I was doing, or why. Perhaps that was in the manual, but I prefer if it's in the game. It was also too short, with little variety -- once you play it once there's really no reason to play it again. It also "just ended" with a blank room and you staying there, not giving you any end message, just forcing you to press escape to exit.

EDIT: I posted that before I saw Guert's reply, looks like he beat me to most of what I was going to say.

medieval
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 10:15:56 AM »

This is really fun to play, addictive and challenging. I like how you implemented the chain reaction.

Good job, that class sounds awesome.
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 05:01:06 AM »

This is Every Extend, right?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic