Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:07:27 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsGames Inspired by Music Compo
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Games Inspired by Music Compo  (Read 2844 times)
lansing
Level 2

View Profile
« on: June 24, 2010, 02:30:17 AM »

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/06/14/games-inspired-by-mu.html

We love chiptunes, the quirky celebration of 8-bit-style music that's become a a vibrant genre of its own with a thriving scene supporting it. The compositions evoke a time when electronic musicians had to make the most of the limited resources offered by primitive computing technology. Keeping that fire alive, the latest compositions are like the soundtracks to vintage videogames that never existed.

As teased last week, we're joining with Safari Books Online, the massive online library of technical know-how, to honor the mighty chip in the form of a Game Dev Challenge. Your task is to make real the imaginary games embodied by chiptunes. For inspiration or technical insight, Safari Books Online is offering Boing Boing readers 30 days free access to five videogame-related books from the library.

The game can be in the format and language of your choice, but we'll be particularly impressed by those whose style and economy matches the music. Compatibility with mobile browsers is a big plus, too! Flash, javascript/HTML5, Silverlight and Java will allow us to embed your game in our site, but native iPhone and Android apps are good options as well.

Of course, if you love Python or Unity or Locomotive BASIC, don't let us stop you.

You have until July 5 to complete your game. If that feels like a tight deadline, remember that games don't have to be epics. A perfectly-formed 5-minute vignette is better than a poor RPG.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2010, 04:30:11 PM »

I think they specifically mean Chiptunes.

This is a pretty idea for a compo though. I don't listen to chiptunes much but I have a few albums with some good songs I'd love to make a game out of.
unsilentwill
Level 9

O, the things left unsaid!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2010, 04:50:13 PM »

This ideas has been discussed a bit before, and I think it's a way better idea than Famicase. Allow for greater creativity in visuals and playstyle, and it sounds like an amazing collaboration of the arts in the way music videos and album covers have been.

Yes please  Beer!

Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 05:35:14 AM »

All my games are inspired by music.

Zachary Lewis
Level 1

Professional by day, indie by night.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 06:25:39 AM »

So, did anyone make a game for the actual BoingBoing competition?

I did. You can play it!

deathtotheweird
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 01:18:05 AM »

I had a game going for this but I took a day break and never went back to it. I really should finish it, as it's so close to being done.

Incidentally it was also a space game.
zachstronaut
Level 0

Legend of Equip > Pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 01:04:38 PM »

Yes! I entered a game. Mine is "Infiltration at Dusk."  Well, hello there!

I did. You can play it!

zachstronaut
Level 0

Legend of Equip > Pants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 08:07:41 PM »

Zachary Lewis won 1st place for Space Junk and I (a different Zachary) won 2nd place for  Infiltration at Dusk.

Is it a coincidence that 1st and 2nd place winners are forum members? I think not!

I did. You can play it!

deathtotheweird
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 08:08:32 PM »

Congrats both of ya   Beer!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic