Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 12:57:00 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralSteam's having some big sale
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: Steam's having some big sale  (Read 13458 times)
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2010, 11:00:14 AM »

Does anyone know about this DogFighter game? Been a long while since I played a plane game, was wondering if this one was worth buying.
I dont know, but the screen shots look awesome.
Alec S.
Level 10

Formerly Malec2b

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2010, 09:58:52 PM »

Does anyone know about this DogFighter game? Been a long while since I played a plane game, was wondering if this one was worth buying.

Yeah, I bought it (before this sale even).  It's pretty fun.  Flight game that doesn't get too bogged down in being a simulator.  Kind of a 3D version of Altitude.

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2010, 06:15:46 AM »

steam better step things up today.

Gagege
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2010, 09:48:05 AM »

So far I've bought GTA IV and Zeno Clash for under $10. Smiley Not bad at all!

blog
Soli Deo Gloria
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2010, 10:05:15 AM »

I guess the Steam versions of UFO Defense/Enemy Unknown work flawlessly, do they? I already have it from some games magazine CD, but I have to use a fan patch to ungarble the graphics and slow down time in GEOscape so it doesn't fly by even on the lowest setting.
Getting it again in a properly working version would be nice, owning Terror from the Deep, too, and finally getting to play Apocalypse would be sweet. All for less than 4€. Not to forget that it also includes.. no, nevermind.

[edit]
And, thinking about it, I don't even have the slightest clue if Enemy Unknown runs at all on Win7.

[edit²]
Alright, apparently even with the Steam version you are better of using some patch(es), but nothing that much effort. And it should run on Win7.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 10:14:55 AM by MisterX » Logged

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2010, 10:32:18 AM »

Looks interesting! Looked through Melly's recommendation list. Any other recommends for a guy who likes adventures, light strategy and 2d action? Oh and could someone tell a bit about that Hammerfight? Looked interesting but I didn't really figure out what was happening in the screenshots :S

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2010, 10:33:21 AM »

what patches?
@Tumetsu: there's a demo for hammerfight that should be able to explain better than we can.

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2010, 10:35:46 AM »

Yeah, but nevermind since I'm not sure how that would work on my PC with ~1.8 Ghz. Not sure how laggy it would be (needs 2.0Ghz) and I'm not that interested to try out with demo at least for now.

EDIT: I actually decided to download the demo after all Smiley BTW, I have heard lot of good things about Defcon and Darwinia. Are they really good and could them be categorized in "light strategy" games? Thing is I like these strategic games like Fire Emblem etc. which have strategy involdev but don't have lots of things to manage at once like some computer strategies seem to do. I'm really not Civ gamer type and like more about more streamlined "light" strategies.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 10:54:31 AM by Tumetsu » Logged

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2010, 10:51:59 AM »

Whoa, Street Fighter 4 for 10 bucks? Guess I'll grab that too. Too bad it's not the Super version.

Also grabbing the Commandos pack and suggesting everybody that likes a good tactical game to do the same. Ah, the memories.

Also Osmos for that cheap is immensely worth it.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Curseman
« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2010, 11:19:31 AM »

How are Gothic 2 and 3?  I missed the sale, but I'm hoping they do a repeat of it on the last day.  I'm pretty sure they did that with Stalker at Christmas time, didn't they?

Oh, and X-Com is all of $1.  If you've never played that, you really should get it.
soundofsatellites
Level 2

no way baby, let's go!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2010, 11:53:02 AM »

Also grabbing the Commandos pack and suggesting everybody that likes a good tactical game to do the same. Ah, the memories.

dude, buying commandos right now.
Sadface about dawn of war II and chaos rising only being included in the thq complete pack.

and the glitter is gone
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2010, 12:10:59 PM »

what patches?
According to this post, there are two major patches, UFO Extender and UFO Util, which work a bit differently. Also, one of them only works with the Windows version, whereas on Steam you get both the Windows and DOS version.
And then there are some other smaller patches, like one which replaces many of the sounds with older versions which seem to be generally more well liked, notably a different alien death scream Wink I still remember the "unpatched" one..
Anyway, apparently only those two bigger patches are more or less essential.

How are Gothic 2 and 3?  I missed the sale, but I'm hoping they do a repeat of it on the last day.  I'm pretty sure they did that with Stalker at Christmas time, didn't they?
Yes, it seems to have become common that they have a "best of" of the deals on the last day.
I have only played Gothic 2 (in German), and I think it's outstandingly great. I have never played another game which was set in such a highly believable, immersive world. I wrote some more about it here and here. If you'd play it in English and the English voices don't completely suck (the German ones aren't great, either), I can definitely recommend it. You have to get used to the clunky controls, though, which is one of the most common crticisms. But, at least I did get used to them so much so that they never bothered me again.
I've heard that only The Witcher is similar to Gothic (2) in terms of how believable and immersive the game's world is. Maybe that will also be cheaper on the last day.

I haven't played more than the demo of Gothic 3, but generally it is either disliked or said to be only "okay", I think. The world, or rather only its artistic design, is said to be great and atmospheric again, but from what I've heard most aspects apart from that range from mediocre to bad. I've heard the opinion that it plays much like an MMORPG, only without "online" and "multiplayer".

Though, I guess 5€ are still great for one such outstanding game (for me) and one which you still might like.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 12:14:51 PM by MisterX » Logged

Ikiki Games Gallery - Nikujin & Co., the collected works featured in full-motion colour video!
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2010, 12:18:47 PM »

Is there anywhere else that has periodic sales with prices this ridiculous or is Steam some kind of anomaly?

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Syrion
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2010, 12:40:36 PM »

I think the other popular contenders, like Direct2Drive, GamersGate and Impulse, all occasionally have smaller and bigger sales, more and less ridiculously cheap. Really good deals at times.

Gagege
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2010, 12:42:07 PM »

I've never seen prices this low on so many non-indie titles. This is kind of Steam's thing though. I've heard they make a killing on these crazy sales. I can see why too. It's the only time I (and probably a lot of other people people) buy new games. Other than these Steam sales it's Swaptree.com or the occasional used game on Amazon for me.

blog
Soli Deo Gloria
Demon Lizardman
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2010, 12:52:35 PM »

Damn it, I need a credit card, have the money, but not the plastic.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2010, 12:53:21 PM »

Whoa, Street Fighter 4 for 10 bucks? Guess I'll grab that too. Too bad it's not the Super version.

Lol, I bought exactly those two minutes before reading this.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2010, 12:56:58 PM »

Is there anywhere else that has periodic sales with prices this ridiculous or is Steam some kind of anomaly?
iPhone Appstore. Not quite as ridiculous though mainly because the games/apps are pretty cheap in the first place.

Also, as far as gritty, morally-ambigous fantasy RPGs go, it doesn't get much better than Gothic 2. The Witcher is a whole lot more sleazy and deals with serious themes like racism and stuff. I suggest you get 'em both.
PaleFox
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2010, 04:17:39 PM »

Gothic 2 is good, Gothic 3 not so much. I'd skip the combo pack and just get Gothic 2.

The Appstore often has sales with the low price of free, but games are so cheap already there that it's hard to compare. I've got 17 new games and I spent about 20 bucks to do so. That is a good bargain. Got the X-Com pack, since I was going to get UFO Defense, TFTD, and Apocalypse, and the pack was pretty much the price of those three -- hopefully Interceptor and Enforcer are ok too.
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2010, 04:55:19 PM »

Yeah, I just went for II in the sale. Haven't gotten to play it though.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic