Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:56:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsThe "A Game By Its Cover" Competition
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Author Topic: The "A Game By Its Cover" Competition  (Read 76651 times)
stampede
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2010, 04:32:53 PM »

I'd prefer if people used carts with original concepts and strayed away from simple game parodies, but if you're feeling strongly about that one go ahead.
In that case I will go with this one (a game about thumb wrestling sounds like a fun challenge):

http://famicase.com/09/softs/31.html?TB_iframe=true&width=620&height=580
Can anyone tell me what the title is (in English)?

white text: Thumb Fight
yellow text: 10 finger tag match from the dreams 3
Stwelin
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2010, 05:01:46 PM »

"8-bit state theory."
Paragin / Haipamediakurieitibuashisutanto
Scholar athlete to promote nation-building, educational software developed by the Ministry of Science and Man Mo. - Crisscross a red dot on the white screen <people> explore ways to lead the ideal flag. Flag can be square, which also depends on the skill of the players round the flag. Kimi to no nation-building? - It was distributed as a learning tool and billed to each school, determine the conditions that children thought was a soft spot for children and potential risk factors would commit future criminal behavior.

My attempt will be loosely based on the above translation.

Very loosely.
Galaxy613
Level 1

10,000 Lightyears of Awesome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2010, 05:22:39 PM »

I would like to remind everyone that if you intend your game to be freeware, Assemble Part 1 is filled with GPL licensed artwork, music, and sound effects for games.

[ Quest! ] A new year, with new possibilities. [ Follow me on Twitter! ]
Theon
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2010, 05:42:28 PM »

I'd prefer if people used carts with original concepts and strayed away from simple game parodies, but if you're feeling strongly about that one go ahead.
In that case I will go with this one (a game about thumb wrestling sounds like a fun challenge):

http://famicase.com/09/softs/31.html?TB_iframe=true&width=620&height=580
Can anyone tell me what the title is (in English)?

white text: Thumb Fight
yellow text: 10 finger tag match from the dreams 3
Aww, fuck, a manbaby beat me to translating it...but yeah, he's right. Tongue
Paint by Numbers
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2010, 06:14:45 PM »

Um, I was thinking of using a boxart way back from the VGNG competition... I can't remember what exactly it was called, but something like "ADVANCED LIGHTNING FROM HELL!". If nobody actually did that game, I'd like to claim it as my entry.
Galaxy613
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2010, 06:22:53 PM »

Um, I was thinking of using a boxart way back from the VGNG competition... I can't remember what exactly it was called, but something like "ADVANCED LIGHTNING FROM HELL!". If nobody actually did that game, I'd like to claim it as my entry.

There are no dibs so don't worry.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2010, 06:43:39 PM »

You can get it as well. It's in the rules.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
compositeredfox
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2010, 06:44:04 PM »

omg I think I'll drop everything I'm doing and start something for this Kiss
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2010, 06:49:14 PM »

This is the thread.
http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=1215.0
But it seems that pictures get randomly delelted from old threads, its a pity, because I remember uploading a nice pic in this thread.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2010, 06:53:11 PM »

If anybody wants to translate the text that goes along with the cartridge which I'm using (tales of an unspoken world), I'd be very glad: http://famicase.com/chronicle/#/2005/shimizu/ (for lack of a link to a 2005 page, if there even is one)

I think the text relating to the game is on the topright of the screen when zoomed in on the case. (aka, what it does after they all load)

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
jfroco
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2010, 07:25:46 PM »

Hi all,

Hadrian Węgrzynowski already posted this collection by Penney Design, but I think it deserves a second mention:

http://www.penneydesign.com/folio_IM_retrogamesmodernthemes.html

I think I will go with this one:

A racing game for the Atari 2600 FTW!!!

Best regads

JF

Paint by Numbers
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2010, 07:31:22 PM »

Yes! Thanks for the help, guys.

I'll post a concept thingy in a bit.
Snow
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2010, 09:03:57 PM »

I found this:

It instantly made me think of a game which would make as much sense as any Aqua Teen Hunger Force episode. This is not an original idea... just an nonsensical addition to an old game. I have no idea if I would do this. I know if I did, it would not have a chance of winning, but would be just fun to do something silly. The game would be mildly fun for at least 10 minutes.

Concept:
An alternate version of one of the Spacecataz episodes. Ignignot and Err find their ship being loaded to the nines with 500'000 pizzas. Ignignot has an emergency time machine aboard and pops the ship into the past at some random time. Oglethorpe and Emory are left to pay the bill with a very angry pizza company owner. In the meantime... in the past, Ignignot and Err find themselves at the exact time that the Apollo 11 Lander is making it's descent. They decide to screw with history and start piling pizzas on top of the lander, increasing it's weight and making it harder to land.

Game Concept:
(so far) The game is a one button game (notice Use with Joystick Controllers). It starts with the lander zipping along above the surface of the moon in an upright position (not technically accurate I know). The terrain scrolling by is much like the terrain in the original game - multiple levels of jagged peaks. The button controls only the thruster and of course there is only so much fuel left. Once the scrolling ground slows down to a manageable speed, flat landing spots show up. As soon as the game starts, the Mooninite's space ship appears and instantly they start stacking large pizza boxes on top of the lander. Each pizza box is a point multiplier. The player can either try to land the lander right away or try to go for as much points as possible by landing as far as possible with the most pizza boxes stacked on top. The Mooninites may hurl insults while the player attempts to land.
deku
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2010, 10:51:01 PM »

I'm thinking this.

this has aligned perfectly with a two week break in my game design course so cheers. Beer!

procrastination is the best part of game design<br />http://deku1.deviantart.com/
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2010, 12:51:43 AM »

A friend of mine made this a while ago. Since we work together a lot I can't really use it.

up for grabs

you can check out the commercial too http://www.silvascreenproductions.com/sspjoomla/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=8&Itemid=9

and here is some concept art just cause i was bored on scriblink

Wizard
Level 0

metagalactic llama wizard

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2010, 05:52:55 AM »

Anyone got dibs on this? I'd like to give this one a crack Smiley
Could I get a translation of the text as well? I'm curious to know what it means.

Shit, we're up against a Sysadmin...
The Wizard's Lair | my Sketchbookr | Ask me anything!
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2010, 06:38:25 AM »

The title just says "meeting", I believe.
And the top text is "Family Computer" (famicom/NES.)

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
Galaxy613
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2010, 07:04:15 AM »

http://famicase.com/08/softs/12.jpg
Anyone got dibs on this? I'd like to give this one a crack Smiley
Could I get a translation of the text as well? I'm curious to know what it means.

Firstly, THERE ARE NO DIBS.

Secondly, you can find the cart at famicase.com and click on it. It'll show you the name and a description of what the cart's maker thought the game would be about in Japanese. Put it through http://translate.google.com and you'll get:

"Meeting"

Kaori Baba / Graphic Designer

A dozen cats from several animals, that you see together at a certain place, it is a "meeting of the cat" is called. It looks as if in a daze having just seen from the outward eye, and exchange information, and sometimes a power struggle, and the love and you can experience profound truth in the form of cat simulation community.

NijiiX
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2010, 08:21:18 AM »

Another one for the bucket

Zaphos
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2010, 09:02:17 AM »

Oh wow, I've been wanting to try making something looking like vector planet for a long time ... ever since I saw the case a while ago.  I guess now I'll have to legitimately give it a go Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic