Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:31:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Under the Garden [FINAL GAME/EDITOR]
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Under the Garden [FINAL GAME/EDITOR]  (Read 179197 times)
Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 09, 2010, 08:34:39 AM »

well uploaded and saved(makes editing faster some how) the edmund maps and downloaded the final version so I can work on porting it.
I found earlier that the new item the E crate has no instructions nor responds to the Right click when you press on it.
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: August 09, 2010, 01:06:59 PM »

Holy shit, a Minecraft & Metroid combo for a forum comp? Beyond amazing.

The atmosphere in the game is great as well, with a lot of attention to detail it seems.

Didn't get the zombie house mod at all, though... zombies ran like 100mph in it, and when I got to the house, I got repeatedly greeted by a "you made i back" screen every time I stepped into it. I mean, I never even made it off the screen in the first place, so that's a bug, I think...

EDIT: Forgot to ask... what was this game made with?

EDIT: Oh, and is this the speed at which the game is supposed to run?

My character runs twice as fast, I think, including jumps and loading times... I play on the latest Macbook Pro which should be slower than most desktop computers (8gb of ram and 64-bit Windows 7, though).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 01:29:16 PM by eobet » Logged

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: August 09, 2010, 06:18:15 PM »

Nah thats about normal speed, it runs about 2x that on my laptop too and its slowish, its just really sluggish to record for some reason.  The game is made with mmf2 as are all my competition games  Grin

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: August 10, 2010, 06:09:48 PM »

Just a quick one, updated the level files so they are signifigantly smaller now, you should notice slightly quicker level loads.  

well uploaded and saved(makes editing faster some how) the edmund maps and downloaded the final version so I can work on porting it.
I found earlier that the new item the E crate has no instructions nor responds to the Right click when you press on it.

The explosives crate isnt actually ingame at the moment because it doesn't function yet, im doing that shortly, you should be able to place them but they are a dead item.  Keep sendin the bugs through, thanks everyone  Beer!

edit: If anyone would be keen to do a video recording or two and has a machine that could handle it do send me a PM, im still struggling to record the game...

edit 2:  Im removing the dialog out of the weather changes, people can figure that out themselves and hopefully be less anoyed reading the same thing every day haha
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 07:22:42 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 11, 2010, 03:28:53 AM »

thanks gnome, I would have spent 5 hours bashing the crate on stuff to see it worked.
oh finished coding the levels in Detroit and play tested them. the zombie loop mechanic I tested works when one slap makes one script read another script which reads another than the script reading it self and makes walking around Detroit more deadly.
all is left to do now is to port them to the final version of the game(and finish drawing the comic).
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: August 11, 2010, 04:26:53 AM »

Are you supposed to whack away at every rock you come across?

If so, I would optimize that bit slightly, because for each whack, the rock not only moves, forcing you to reposition the cursor, but the target area also becomes smaller and smaller and easier to miss.

The procedure is very annoying to the point of where it breaks the otherwise great atmosphere of the game.

Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: August 11, 2010, 05:09:43 AM »

Ill keep that in mind when I do a post competition revision, though all the skills in the game are sort of the same, trees, rocks, plants etc require some repetition to them.  By the same arguement trees take the same amount of hits, and move less than when your character jolts around when smashing rocks for example, they both provide the same sort of user feedback (rocks get smaller, trees get a hack into them).  Planting food requires repeition occasionally if the seeds dont plant, I dont see anything really wrong with it, I mean all the skills can be quickened with better tools anyhow to the point where you can level a tree with the chainsaw in 2-3 hits and the same with the hammer vs rocks, maybe even quicker.

I think shrinking the rocks collision could be a really bad idea however, they are hard enough to hit as is.

And I guess answering the initial question, "Are you supposed to whack away at every rock you come across?" - Thats entirely upto you.

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 11, 2010, 06:49:28 AM »

wait what do you mean move the cursor?
the pick axe/hammer swings doesn't change the angle of the swing when you hit the right click.
the only real challenge is moving yourself up a little to hit the rock.
Ant
« Reply #168 on: August 11, 2010, 07:18:52 AM »

I just wanted to say how awesome this game is. That is all.
hammedhaaret
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2010, 12:07:07 PM »

wow.. this is a great game.
atmosphere, graphics, the survival feel is right on.

now I feel like we only got to the woodchopping part of the game

Grin kidding, but this is really good
belbeeno
Level 1

video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: August 12, 2010, 12:55:22 AM »

A relaxed free-roaming exploration platformer that is also completely merciless and unforgiving?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this qualifies as "a first of it's kind" as well as a magnificent game, even if the snow and rain particles kill my FPS.

@belbeeno - website
Buy my dang game, Factory Hiro!
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: August 12, 2010, 05:22:47 AM »

Thanks dudes, makes it all worthwhile when peoples like it  Beer!  Ummm I did have a toggle ingame to reduce particle effects, but alot of the damage generation stems from particles touching the character, so I decided to leave it out as it breaks the weather damage system a little, sorry man Sad

miconazole
Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 12, 2010, 05:46:37 AM »

I excitedly entered a secret area only to fall into a PIT FULL OF BEARS. My Word! What controls whether we restart at the last fire[place or "never make it home"?

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 12, 2010, 09:19:20 AM »

I excitedly entered a secret area only to fall into a PIT FULL OF BEARS. My Word! What controls whether we restart at the last fire[place or "never make it home"?
I think it's just /deadwrp but if one want to instantly kill you then /src\"the dead script that talks about never coming back from home."\ slap this into silly scripts like ii6 or ii84 and add this before the "/src\" tag 
Code:
\then the gun suddenly\ discharged\while you where looking in the nozzle\
barrel of laughs to the poor sap who picks up those items.
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: August 12, 2010, 05:13:57 PM »

Its randomly determined, you have a 1/10 chance of dying every time you injure yourself, sick5=1 from memory.

edit: Okay so this is my random thought for the day, and it might be crazy so we shall see, but im considering scrapping the map based levels for a entirely editable ingame height based map solution, generates at the start of the game, I would add in some tools ingame so you have limited ability to modify it...  This would fix alot of the problems I forsee with the game currently...  Ill prototype it see how it goes.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 06:45:49 PM by Farmergnome » Logged

Rumrusher
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 13, 2010, 01:19:57 AM »

Its randomly determined, you have a 1/10 chance of dying every time you injure yourself, sick5=1 from memory.

edit: Okay so this is my random thought for the day, and it might be crazy so we shall see, but im considering scrapping the map based levels for a entirely editable ingame height based map solution, generates at the start of the game, I would add in some tools ingame so you have limited ability to modify it...  This would fix alot of the problems I forsee with the game currently...  Ill prototype it see how it goes.
wait won't this make all that effort in modding it Pointless, and that I need to do all this modding all over again?! Screamy oh well hopefully you keep your older versions of your game.
♒ben
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: August 13, 2010, 04:27:24 AM »

LOVE IT. will be back later with something constructive once i've played some more, just wanted to tell you how i got "that" feeling and couldn't stop playing today. Very similar feeling i got the first time i played spelunky. I feel like this game would be such a perfect fit for procedurally generated worlds...
Vania
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 13, 2010, 09:49:09 AM »

I like it!

Came to the forums to ask what the possibilities are.

So far I've cut like a hundred trees and made a big pile outside my house,
what can I do with all that wood?

I read you can farm in some post but im not sure how...

You might want to come up with a different way to find tools than just smashing rocks, maybe placing them in different locations around the map to encourage exploration.
Sirwazzle
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 13, 2010, 08:33:06 PM »

Alright, I have to say this game is fabulous, if not a bit easy. I've enjoyed every second I have played of it! Actually, I do have a single complaint, which is the slipperiness of movement (the tediousness of tasks I don't mind, but the way he jerks forward is uncalled for.) Other than that, I love you, and please do make a random-generating version.

I do have an inquiry about something in the game too. It's actually a possible spoiler so...

SPOILER ALERT BELOW

If you could explain this thanks!

So, I've gone through the bear's cave, killed the bear, got the spring, and moved as far right as I could tell. However, when I'm up there, I see a random pink thing at the bottom of the screen. Does anyone have any idea what that is or could be, and is this indeed the end of that corridor? Here's a picture of what I see there: http://img826.imageshack.us/i/underthegardenoddity.png/
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: August 13, 2010, 09:12:57 PM »

A relaxed free-roaming exploration platformer that is also completely merciless and unforgiving?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this qualifies as "a first of it's kind" as well as a magnificent game,
Well, they aren't platformers, but survival-based exploration games are nothing new. There's Notrium and Stranded, for example. Although this game does quite a few creative things that other games don't.

even if the snow and rain particles kill my FPS.
Did you try turning the blurriness off? This made it run a lot faster on my machine (as well as making it look nicer, IMO).

I'm very impressed with this game. It contains a lot more content than any other competition game I've played so far. I can't say it particularly appeals to me, since I don't usually like slow, repetitive survival-based games. But I can still appreciate your work. I'm sure a lot of people will have hours of entertainment with this. And there's a good chance I'll come back to it again when I have more time.

I think the control is a bit too slippery, though. Though precise platforming doesn't seem necessary that often, it comes up enough for the loose controls to be an annoyance.

I found it amusing that you could travel the world through the sky by carrying two boxes with you. I'm not sure if that's an exploit or if it's intentional. It does seem to go a against the game's theme a bit, though.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic