Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:56:59 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Star Cats IV
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Star Cats IV  (Read 6882 times)
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2010, 09:28:35 AM »

Star Cats IV
Space-battles of epic cat-portions.

http://famicase.com/10/index.html

Play
Prototype

Instructions
Arrow Keys - Move
Z - shoot

Screenshots

(Compo Build Proto)

Sound Track
Use Audio Overload to listen

Theme Song
Interlude of Cats
Searching for Midori
End of Stars

WIP Songs!!
Techno Galaxy
Emergency (loud, warning)
Mystery Cave
Boss Battle

Development Summary:
7/27 -
    Decided I'm going to do this in Flixel. SDL audio is absolute crap, Alec warned me about how many issues the threading causes but I had to experience it first hand. Feel free to try the prototype, but remember this is about 3.5 hours of work. I'm going to try to get it playable by July 31st, and its going to be a bullet hell game. But don't expect the next Mars Matrix Smiley

6/28 -
The cart is just way too wicked. Who knows what my time line looks like with so much family coming in from out of state, and too many projects to finish. But hopefully I pull something together.

Fartron used the google translator to pick this out of the website as well:

"In Star Cats IV you have to return to the Feline Galaxy to save it from the Evil Mice Empire. This is a 8 bit shooter where you control a spaceship through 8 levels full of enemies, explosions and tuna fish!"

I'm not sure how close I'll follow to that, but I like the SWars tie in.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 10:55:32 PM by Cthulhu32 » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 01:04:45 PM »

This is going to be BEAUTIFUL
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 09:19:02 PM »

Alright I added the sound track as it is so far. I haven't had a good chunk of time to work on the art & programming bits, so I've been touching up with Famitracker again. I never really used DCM samples before, so I'm having a lot of fun getting those thumping bass rythms in the background. Plus the cat meow is awesome, check out Searching! I'm hoping to get the WIP + some more tracks out of the way in the next few days so I'll have my music completely done.

Please feel free to leave comments/suggestions/questions about the music. Its not going to be pro, but I'm doing the whole thing myself so it will be whatever I make of it.

tipp
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 09:43:37 AM »

I love the music, and I'm sure this is going to be great.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2010, 05:31:20 PM »

I'm really liking those music tracks. I have no idea how you got that meow sound.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 01:10:52 PM »

Finally added some more content. I'm not using SDL/SDL_Audio anymore just because I want to get something fast out of the way. FamiEngine was completely solid until I started having thread crashes, and realized Alec's wise wisdom held true: FUCK SDL AUDIO. Its terrible, don't use it. Use another library.

daruma_studio
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 04:05:32 PM »

Hi, I'm the designer of Star Cats cartridge for Famicase exhibition. It has been great to discover somebody working on a playable game based on it!

Are you still working on the project?

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 05:00:14 PM »

Hi, I'm the designer of Star Cats cartridge for Famicase exhibition. It has been great to discover somebody working on a playable game based on it!

Hey, man, how do you get to participate in the Famicase exhibition? Is it an invitation only event? or how /when /where you submit your cover design? Also that was an awesome cover  Coffee one can see the Star Wars and the Star Fox influences.  Smiley

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 06:50:51 PM »

The Star Cats cartridge is one of my favorites. One of the biggest disappointments of this competition is that it wasn't made into a finished game.

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 08:07:06 AM »

Hey Daruma, I'm shooting you an email right now. I think I need to finish this even if its way outside the time of the competition.

The Star Cats cartridge is one of my favorites. One of the biggest disappointments of this competition is that it wasn't made into a finished game.

Yeah I probably could have finished it if I hadn't fought SDL audio for two weeks straight before giving up. Alec told me how terrible the threading bits of SDL audio were but I had to experience them for myself. Now if I do this in C++ I'm going to commit to either Fmod or OpenAL because both have been proven to work and stay thread friendly.

Dualnames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2010, 11:15:05 AM »

Seconded, I really love that cartridge! Smiley
Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2010, 10:55:07 PM »

A little update, Daruma Studios emailed me back and said he's very interested in doing some art and design for the game. He also mentioned he's on vacation so hopefully he emails me back again soon!

I also have been playing with the power-up system, trying to emulate Mars Matrix a bit. I was kind of fond of the bloom for a vector style game, but I'm just too programmer arty to do anything good. So off with the bloom, and on with the massive bullets. Try the latest prototype, the enemies loop but you can hit level 5 if you collect enough green rotating blocks.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic