Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 05:20:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallNIGHTMARE in the Overbourn Marshes
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: NIGHTMARE in the Overbourn Marshes  (Read 1918 times)
nicknicknicknick
Level 0

idkfa

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2010, 10:25:46 AM »

Hey all,

About a year ago, I threw together a little game inspired by one of ChevyRay's procedural generation blog posts. I never got around to posting it, because a) I was new to the forums, b) I was terrified of negative responses, and c) I was pretty sure it would crash on just about everyone's system.

Anyway, I got over those issues (read: am ignoring them), and so present you with NIGHTMARE in the Overbourn Marshes, a short, abstract puzzle game in which you have no idea where you are.

It's really more of a proof-of-concept, potentially buggy, and definitely amateurish. But I welcome any and all feedback.

Oh, and MAKE SURE TO READ THE README FILE. All the controls are in there, and some people completely missed that and had no idea how to proceed.

INFORMATION AND DOWNLOAD: here. (Linux/Windows)

BLOG POST IN WHICH I SORT OF EXPLAIN MY PROCESS/INSPIRATION: here.

SCREENIES

8-Bit Personality, 16-Bit Looks
http://nicknicknicknick.net
deathtotheweird
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 09:33:14 PM »

I'd like to try it but it doesn't work. windows 7 here.

gives me an error about zlib1 so I copy that dll over, than msvc100d or something and I copy that over and it still gives me the same error and refuses to launch.

really like to check it out though, sounds interesting.
nicknicknicknick
Level 0

idkfa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 03:56:24 AM »

Merde, sorry to hear that. I tested it on XP and Vista and it worked alright. I don't have access to a Win7 machine though...have you tried running in compatibility mode? Otherwise, I'll have to get back to ya. Apologies!

Urist McDorf
Level 0

CR 12 Ruskie Werebear

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 06:43:12 AM »

Oh, I have the same problem and I'm running windows xp. It first requests zlib1.dll, then msvcr100d.dll, then msvcp100d.dll then I got tired of finding the necessary dlls in the internets. Maybe that's an entire library (note that that probably doesn't mean what I think it does because I am derp today) you forgot to mention?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 06:47:49 AM by Urist McDorf » Logged
deathtotheweird
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 12:22:35 PM »

Apparently it's only the three, I must have misspelled it when I tried earlier.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2773617/my%20games/overborndlls.zip

Extracting these three into the same directory as the exe should fix it, it did for me. Now, to play it  Hand Point Right
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 01:14:57 PM by allen » Logged
nicknicknicknick
Level 0

idkfa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 02:21:55 PM »

Wow, I can't thank you enough. As I said, I'd tested the original package on both XP and Vista with no problems; I may have had libraries installed from previous games. Anyway, I've added those DLLs to the .zip file on my website. Hopefully that'll resolve the issue for future players.

Thanks again, hope the all-of-10-minutes of gameplay is worth it. Wink

Urist McDorf
Level 0

CR 12 Ruskie Werebear

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 01:23:57 AM »

Thank you, allen.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 11:58:46 AM »

Yeah it was worth it, I enjoyed it. I haven't beaten the game, I take it the 3rd riddle is the last? Or maybe it's the one after the 3rd...I forgot the exact number.

Definitely look forward to the other entries into the NIGHTMARE series  Hand Thumbs Up Right
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic