Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 02:41:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] ∞ bit [FINISHED] + source code
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] ∞ bit [FINISHED] + source code  (Read 22032 times)
VinceTwelve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2010, 07:33:19 AM »

Download Alpha 8

New Features
    • The gun
      • Mouse button to fire
      • Move mouse to "bend" the shots
      • Use it to destroy green blocks
      • Currently, it just lets you shoot whenever.  In final game, you'll only be able to shoot after collecting the gun in level three.
    • Debug hotkeys to jump to a level and try it out:
      • Press the 1, 2, or 3 keys to load the respective levels.
    • Toyed with depth transparency to make the game much easier to read. 
      • Front level is now much easier to distinguish.
      • While shooting, the front level fades out to let us see what we're shooting.
      • Level 3 - It's in, but it needs lots of tweaking.  Actually, I'm thinking all the levels might be too hard. Sad

If there's no extension, the game might end up with just these three levels.  With an extension, I hope for several more plus a boss fight.  I also still want to find the time to improve the frame rate.  We'll see![/list]

VinceTwelve
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #41 on: August 01, 2010, 07:54:55 PM »

Download Alpha 9

New Features
    • Revamped levels 1-3
      • Use number keys 1, 2, and 3 as quick shortcuts to jump to the level
      • There's no flying challenges after level 3 yet.
    • New level 4
      • Press the 4 key to skip to it.
      • Moving platforms!
    • Level names
    • Bunch of new in-game text

It still needs some speed tweaking.  Levels 5 and 6 underway now.

VinceTwelve
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #42 on: August 06, 2010, 10:11:15 PM »

Got all the levels and sound in.  Got to polish up the last couple flight sequences and put on some kind of an ending to the game.  I'm super happy with how it plays and feels now!  I look forward to releasing it tomorrow!

Off to bed for now, though!

VinceTwelve
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #43 on: August 07, 2010, 05:41:18 AM »

Little youtube preview of what to expect when I release later today.

tzachs
    Level 1

Look normal...

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #44 on: August 07, 2010, 05:48:27 AM »

The video looks awesome, the music&sound seems to add a lot to the experience.
    Waiting for the final product...

VinceTwelve
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #45 on: August 07, 2010, 10:50:15 PM »

Download ∞ bit for Windows

Finished!  It's still not midnight in California!   Beer!

I'll update some screenies in the first post.  Please try it out and let me know what you think!  There are six levels, some of them very challenging!  Good luck!
    « Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 10:58:40 PM by VinceTwelve » Logged

Melly
    Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
    « Reply #46 on: August 07, 2010, 11:38:40 PM »

Tried it out. Got fairly far. I really like some of the puzzles and ideas you created here. I still think finding your way through the second level is a matter of trial and error, but it's not a big deal. The gun is a very interesting mechanic. And here I was thinking it would be a lot more mundane. Game runs pretty smoothly here for the most part. The player movement is a bit slippery, which makes some of the more precise jumps a little difficult, but it just takes getting used to. The moving platforms had some odd behaviour. Soemtimes if I feel out of them (or through them, depending on the situation) I would continue moving sideways in the air.

I'll try completing the game sometime later. Beer!

Feel free to disregard the above.
    Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
    Ali
    Level 0

View Profile
    « Reply #47 on: August 08, 2010, 02:36:54 AM »

Nice work, Vince! I love the strangely vertigo-inducing tunnel of infinity.
    VinceTwelve
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #48 on: August 08, 2010, 05:45:33 PM »

Thanks for the comments guys!

There might be a few bugs here and there on account of the last-minute rush (really appreciated that extension btw Wink), I'll try to iron those out and update.  But I need to sleep for a week first!

VinceTwelve
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #49 on: August 11, 2010, 05:44:32 AM »

I've released the source code and some assets for anyone who might find that useful/interesting!  My Word!

Download source code

To edit/compile this source code, you need Adventure Game Studio 3.2 Final 5 or later.  3.2 Final 5 can be downloaded at: http://www.bigbluecup.com/AGS-3.2-Final5.exe

miconazole
    Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
    « Reply #50 on: August 12, 2010, 04:24:45 AM »

The level 5 tunnel is brutal. Why do you hate us, Vince? Cry

guille
    Level 3

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #51 on: August 12, 2010, 04:26:01 AM »

Good work on using AGS for this, that was clever. I like how you have 2 different game modes, both simple but fun. I found the backgrounds way too distracting, though. The audio is pretty nice too.  Coffee

miconazole
    Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
    « Reply #52 on: August 12, 2010, 04:59:30 AM »

Oh wait, I beat it. Sweet game! Totally voted for this, btw.
    What do the locked doors on the title screen do? I thought they'd unlock once I finished the game but now I'm mystified.

sergiocornaga
    Level 8

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #53 on: August 12, 2010, 08:30:50 AM »

Man. This is tough.
    VinceTwelve
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #54 on: August 12, 2010, 09:32:32 AM »

@miconazole: Yeah, that level 5 tunnel is definitely the most brutal part of the game! Smiley  It's randomly generated each time you try it (as is the level4 tunnel) so you might get lucky and have it be easy one go.  Thanks for the vote! Glad you liked it!  (Oh, and ignore the locked doors.  I was going to have them unlockable after beating the game, but ran out of time!)

@sergiocornaga: Hopefully it's good/fair tough and not keyboard-out-the-window tough.  I never really had time for any playtesters other than whoever tried out the alphas I was posting in this thread.  So it is what it is!   Wink

@guillermo: Thanks for the comments!  It can get difficult to distinguish between the different depth levels.  I find that moving the mouse a bit when my eye gets confused clears things up during those platforming sections.  I made the background transparent to try and mitigate the issue.  Thanks for playing!

VinceTwelve
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #55 on: August 14, 2010, 10:35:45 AM »

The current download server is having some kind of trouble.  Here's a mirror:

Mirror 1

Dualnames
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #56 on: August 14, 2010, 11:43:35 AM »

As I said this definitely is a great game, and I felt really bad, when I learned so late about this competition. Despite the framerate, despite the difficulty, its very polished and very addicting!! Grin
    György Straub
    Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #57 on: August 17, 2010, 11:56:50 AM »

This game made voting very easy for me. Such excellent execution, consistent style and fun gameplay. There's nothing I don't love about it, except for the spaceship controls which sometimes could be, idunno, more responsive.

The fact that you've pulled this off in AGS (which I don't know up close and personal, but am sure it wasn't intedned for such use) just makes it more awesome.

Gentleman

VinceTwelve
    Level 0

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #58 on: August 18, 2010, 06:53:06 PM »

Hey thanks Duals and Gyorgy!  At least I know the game won't have zero votes!  Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right  Thanks for the feedback!

Noyb
    Level 9

View Profile WWW
    « Reply #59 on: August 28, 2010, 06:54:47 AM »

Really interesting game. Played until the moving platform level when my poor laptop started overheating, AGS crashed and threw an error (didn't think to save it, something relating to rendering, which probably had something to do with my videocard getting too hot). I'm sad that the saves didn't remain in future sessions, or else I might have given it another shot.

Great design! Surprisingly intuitive for such a mind-bending concept. After some thought, I was able to easily trace my way backwards from the gas powerup in that level with all the locked doors to find the right path. And I loved how the relative depths of the levels made a difference once you got the gun.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
    Print
    Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic