Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411489 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 02:45:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGAce Starkiller in: Hillbilly Burger Bastards! [Completed and improved!]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Ace Starkiller in: Hillbilly Burger Bastards! [Completed and improved!]  (Read 21934 times)
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 01:35:18 PM »

I beat it. It is a really well-made production and the scale felt just right for a competition such as this... Loved how there was some branching and several ways to solve some of the problems, and some of the dialogue was really funny.

Not convinced that pixelated graphics was the way to go, though. I had trouble making out stuff all the time (the lightswitch in the beginning was really tricky to see), and it looked off when the scaled characters or dialogue options where using a higher resolution.   Undecided
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2008, 12:28:17 AM »

I finished it and loved it...  The world felt like it went on far beyond the little we were shown, which is so important in point'n'clicks.  The interface was not bad - like Saint said I'd like to have had WALK to be the default action, although with right click it wasn't so bad.  A little more feedback on non-doable options would also have been nice, as well as different mouse pointers for different actions.  The dialogue was pretty good, although somewhat cliche I know that was your intention anyway.  I enjoyed melting people.

Would love to see it re-done in PC VGA!

Ciardhubh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2008, 06:41:38 AM »

I really like it. Story and graphics are good and I don't think that controls are cumbersome.

I'm stuck on the space station, though. What I've done so far: <spoiler> talked to Ace's old buddy, got an ident-upgrade for my computer with the coupon, caused an "accident" at the fountain and bought the female cop dinner</spoiler>. I've got no idea what to do next. Could anybody please give me a hint? Wink
Saint
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2008, 06:44:57 AM »

I really like it. Story and graphics are good and I don't think that controls are cumbersome.

I'm stuck on the space station, though. What I've done so far: <spoiler> talked to Ace's old buddy, got an ident-upgrade for my computer with the coupon, caused an "accident" at the fountain and bought the female cop dinner</spoiler>. I've got no idea what to do next. Could anybody please give me a hint? Wink

Oh, it sounds like you need to Go and rest in your cabin
Ciardhubh
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2008, 07:12:08 AM »

Oh, it sounds like you need to Go and rest in your cabin

Thanks, that did the trick.
Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2008, 07:42:36 PM »

I don't agree with the complaints about pixel-hunting. The cursor lights up when you're over an object you can interact with, and darkens and contracts when you don't have control. Plus, you can get an (optional?) HUD upgrade that tells you the names of each item at the spaceport.

The puzzles were nice and logical, and I appreciate that you made some of them have multiple endings. The action Ciardhubh neglected did have a hint in-game, although it is a fairly long time relative to the game after exploring the spaceport since the last time it was brought up.

The game takes too long to get through the intro to the point where you can load a game if you die, even skipping using esc. And the single save slot made me fear that I'd accidentally overwrite my late-game save with one in the first room after death.

I liked it. Pity the story wasn't complete by the deadline, but what's there is fun and polished. I like the writing, in a fun camp, not-too-cheesy type way. Hopefully the full version contains this introduction, since I would like to see if any of the choices you make affect the plot down the line. It's always nice to see another well-made adventure game. Smiley

Was Maureen inspired by the character of the same name in Full Throttle by any chance?

tenth
Level 0

Keepin' it real(ly bad)

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2008, 08:23:42 PM »

It was really heartwarming to see both old school point and click adventuring, and C64 colored double-wide pixels... Especially in the same entry. Kiss  For those about to L shift O to the quote, we salute you.

That being said, I can sort of understand the frustration some people have had with the object-hunting. But it is a historical part of the genre, and it's not like it's hard to click on pixels the size of hams! And the identifier upgrade definitely helped a lot, especially arriving as it did during a scene with lots of tiny, interesting, but totally unidentifiable objects.

The writing was a lot of fun, too... I hate to say it, but Ace is way more appealing to me as a character now than Roger Wilco was even after six sequels and a fan prequel. And the puzzles were pretty well balanced, difficulty-wise, and I can't say enough good things about allowing players to choose between multiple solutions.

Though I did spend almost two hours stuck trying to figure out (spoiler)how to arm the  @#%*ing warhead! I knew the weapon systems were offline, but Ace was saying something weird about there being "Nothing to shoot at" when I tried to activate them, even though I was in the middle of a ship to ship standoff... So after pressing the warhead gently but firmly against almost every object on the ship (and both Repario brothers), I decided I must have done something wrong and broken my save state, and started over again in the hope of fixing it.(spoiler) ...but I did get it eventually, and it wasn't all that far from the start of the game anyway.  Wink
ProgZmax
Level 0

I'm gonna get that kid!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2008, 10:11:03 PM »

Glad people are having some fun with Ace, and I totally agree with some of what has been said about the gui icons.  However, I will address a few things that some other posters have even pointed out:

1.  The cursor does change significantly when over something you can mess with (it pulses in/out).  I could've made the cursor change to a million different things, sure, but they would likely have confused just as many people in different ways.

2.  Walk is the default action in the game, and right-clicking (as the readme says) will always cancel your current action back to walk except when in gun mode.  This is important, and also, it's the way many, many p&c's were made in the early 90's (and what I was shooting for emulationwise, if you'll pardon the pun).

3.  It seems like about 1/4 people have trouble identifying the gui icons by image.  My first instinct was just to use words, but in c-64 format that makes for VERY WIDE text.  The one thing I did do was explain in the readme what each icon was in advance just in case they weren't perfectly clear, so do have a look at it if you are confused!  Also, if I can think of some more obvious shapes that will inform people what the icons do, I'll certainly change it.  Those were the best I could think of at the time.

4.  The status bar upgrade was purely an experiment on my part with making the gui more of a gameplay element, and I thought upgradeable guis were a cool idea.  I could've equipped the status bar at the beginning, but with the cursor auto-animating over anything of value I figured most people would get it -- and it seems I was right!

5.  The one pixel issue I somewhat agree with is the light switch, although I did try to make it stand out from the rest of the wall (it's light gray on a dark grey patch).  I'm curious if some of you at least aren't playing it windowed?  I highly recommend you play it full screen since 320x240 (even doubled) looks really tiny on conventional monitors.

Not convinced that pixelated graphics was the way to go, though.

c-64 16 color double-wide is a style choice and something I enjoy working with, and a lot of people still like it so all I can say is...   Wink

and it looked off when the scaled characters or dialogue options where using a higher resolution.

The font choices were mainly necessity.  I started off with c-64 fonts and couldn't fit dialog options or anything into the gui window or dialog tree.  I'm thinking of finding some small bitmap fonts that look more retro, though!

The writing was a lot of fun, too... I hate to say it, but Ace is way more appealing to me as a character now than Roger Wilco was even after six sequels and a fan prequel. And the puzzles were pretty well balanced, difficulty-wise, and I can't say enough good things about allowing players to choose between multiple solutions.

What an awesome thing to say!  I really appreciate that, especially since I always hated Roger for being such a wimp, and I'm glad you found the puzzles to be challenging without pissing you off.  If there's one thing I hate about adventure games it's puzzles that can only be solved the way some weird designer made them with no latitude, so I step back, think of what Ace would do, provide that as an option, and then try to come up with 2 alternatives.    This is also a hint that there are, in fact, 3 ways of approaching most of the conflicts in the game:  Badass, pure logic, or a combination of the two.

The game takes too long to get through the intro to the point where you can load a game if you die, even skipping using esc. And the single save slot made me fear that I'd accidentally overwrite my late-game save with one in the first room after death.

Even with the escape key?  My aren't you an impatient one! :D  How about if I have escape also substitute for 'enter' at the title, would that help?

Was Maureen inspired by the character of the same name in Full Throttle by any chance?

Sort of.  She's collage of Mo from Full Throttle and Maggie Robbins from The Dig.  Well spotted!

And as for development, I'm adding music and sound effects now and will then extend the game a bit!  I hope it won't disappoint people to know I'm not going with chiptunes but am using a rather retro sci-fi cowboy approach.  It sounds good, I promise!
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2008, 11:55:21 PM »

Wow this looks cool, downloading! Didn't expect an adventure game for the RVNGCXRTACRNYMCOMP

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2008, 09:11:13 PM »

I really enjoyed this! Thanks for taking me back to my adventure game roots.

BUG:
******************SPOILERS**********
If you give the burgers to one-eye's crew before bombing it, they will take it away, if you use the grabber crane on the position where the box used to be, it will magically pick up a crate. I dunno.
******************/SPOILERS*********

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
ProgZmax
Level 0

I'm gonna get that kid!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2008, 07:00:23 PM »

Interesting bug find, TeamQuiggan.  I'll have that fixed for the next release.  Glad you liked it!  Actually, what the game 'should do' (but I forgot to implement) was

***warning***
if you let them take the crate without doing anything, the game should end.
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2008, 11:50:51 PM »

***** THAR BE SPOILERS IN THIS HUR POST*****

I thought it would be like some other adventure games where you could just keep taking boxes out of the stacks until you figure out the puzzle, or you could have a really long hard limit, like that Guybrush can hold his breath for 10 minutes.

I guess I was more of a Lucas Arts' Adventure gamer, where their wasn't a lot of complete failing, just spinning your wheels until you figure it out.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
ProgZmax
Level 0

I'm gonna get that kid!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2008, 11:30:53 AM »

I make it a point not to completely punish you like sierra games do, but since your character in this game is being forced under law to deliver this cargo (and is a tough guy), giving it up isn't really an option Smiley.  In this case though, since there is another way of getting rid of OneEye, I won't have it end the game.

Also, new and improved version up at the same link.  The new version includes:

1.  Music

2.  Sound

3.  Bugfixes

4.  Additional animations.

5.  You can now buy things from Big Ray if you have the chits.

Get it here!

http://www11.asphost4free.com/veradinx/HBB.rar

« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 11:35:15 AM by ProgZmax » Logged
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2008, 06:35:25 AM »

It looks like you've put a lot of work in to this so I don't wish to be too critical, but there were few issues that stopped me from enjoying this game. The biggest was the pixel hunting. Now I could see instantly when the cursor was over a hotspot, but nearly every time I had absolutely no idea what I was pointing at. That meant I had to use examine just to identify what anything was, and that got tedious fast. Just showing the name of what the cursor was over would have saved me a lot of frustration. I also a lot of the time didn't know what action type was currently selected. I'd be pressing on things to activate them and Ace would just stand there, and it would take me a while to realise that the current action had defaulted back to walk. Just highlighting which action is selected would solve this one. Besides this, the game has nice pixel art and the script is competant enough. Good stuff.

ProgZmax
Level 0

I'm gonna get that kid!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2008, 04:06:57 PM »

The readme would have told you what the icons were for, and also, there's a gui upgrade you can get a bit later on that will auto-identify stuff for you.  Sorry you didn't enjoy it, but from your feedback it seems this isn't your kind of game anyway.  Thanks for playing!
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic