Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411499 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 09:28:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Me and myself, like the sun and the moon [DEMO]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Me and myself, like the sun and the moon [DEMO]  (Read 14727 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 12:33:30 PM »

Okay, good things first!

I like the graphical style you went with, and the overall atmosphere is pretty boss. The combat mechanics are more interesting than you usually see in RPG's which is good.

However, holy crap man, remove those random battles. Have enemies pop up on the game world and move around, and you engage in battle if you touch them. Random battles are fucking annoying.

I guess there's nothing to do after you're told to find the suspect besides walking around engaging in random combat. I think you have a nice base here. Also, make sure in the complete game people can stock on bullets and stuff.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 02:07:53 PM »

Excellent work !
Sincerely genuine to the inspirational famicase you've chose.

Btw, what language or engine was used to make this game, just curious ? Tiger

Thanks, man! This was made using Multimedia Fusion 2 Gentleman

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 02:21:20 PM »

However, holy crap man, remove those random battles. Have enemies pop up on the game world and move around, and you engage in battle if you touch them. Random battles are fucking annoying.

haha yeah, that's a good suggestion actually. although I like the surprise factor of random battles, but I guess I can find some kind of middle ground.  Well, hello there!

I guess there's nothing to do after you're told to find the suspect besides walking around engaging in random combat. I think you have a nice base here. Also, make sure in the complete game people can stock on bullets and stuff.

The demo has a proper ending, but there isn't much more than you mention, really.

On the final game you will be able to increase your stock limit as the game preogresses. But ammo should really be used more like in Resident Evil than in Contra. Being accurate and wise with your bullets is important (it's not very clear on the demo, but should be on the final game).

Thanks for the feedback and setting up the compo, it was pretty fun!  Coffee

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 11:36:04 AM »

The random battles were really cool actually. I dug how it played out.
HOWEVER i lost bullets like crazy and random ammo popping up was just weird to me.

My suggestion is to make ammo unlimited but still take a sec or 2 to reload after running out.

Also I was told to check out Han's but then nothing happened around the house. If you can't go there at least put "Locked" or something.

The music loops...very baddly too. @_@ just read the music is placeholder

other then that it's a pretty cool demo.

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 12:29:22 PM »

The random battles were really cool actually. I dug how it played out.
HOWEVER i lost bullets like crazy and random ammo popping up was just weird to me.

My suggestion is to make ammo unlimited but still take a sec or 2 to reload after running out.

Also I was told to check out Han's but then nothing happened around the house. If you can't go there at least put "Locked" or something.

The music loops...very baddly too. @_@ just read the music is placeholder

other then that it's a pretty cool demo.

Thanks! That's a nice suggestion actually. I'm not quite happy with the method I used to get more ammo either but I used this solution because it will keep you busy chasing the ammo items instead of having you waiting idly. I surely have to come up with something better.

heheh well, that's not the house. The house you should go to is in the forest to the left. But cool for pointing it out, it never occurred to me that it may create confusion.

Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010, 04:02:16 PM »

cant say that i had fun with the game. It does look cool, but it is very annoying to stuck everywhere. A player smaller than one block might have been better, or maybe restricted movements in full block lengths, but the way it is now is not very beautiful.

And there are too frequently battles.
deathtotheweird
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 04:21:31 PM »

yeah I too got stuck a lot, pretty frustrating.

I didn't know you could run from battles, and it was so frustrating progressing that I kinda gave up. Good graphics and a great concept that could be really fun if fleshed out and polished more.
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 05:11:30 PM »

@Krux @allen

Thanks for the comments! I know movement is an issue (didn't know it was that bad though) and for the final version I've considered adding tile based movement (like the one used on Final Fantasy and Dragon Warrior for the NES), but I haven't had the chance to try it on the battle scenes, so I don't know if it will be too awkward for them. But this will be fixed.

I'm also working on making most of the battles less random and more avoidable.  Coffee

RichVreeland
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2010, 11:56:21 PM »

i just wanted to drop in and say i'm working on audio for this game and we're doing some cool stuff.

I'm creating all of the sound effects/music in famitracker using the VRC6 chip.

I've never tried doing sound effects this way, which is a shame because it's a LOT of fun. I could do this all day. Actually I did.

Here's a peek:

a variation on the theme...  http://www.richvreeland.com/work/sunmoon/sunmoon_nes.mp3

a walkie-talkie conversation!... http://www.richvreeland.com/work/what_am_i.mp3

rain!... http://www.richvreeland.com/work/sunmoon/rain.mp3

Cheers!  Gentleman
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2010, 06:04:30 AM »

I really liked the battle system, but after a while I got tired of picking up ammo.  Since either by glitch or lack of implementation getting hit by enemies wouldn't kill me, after a while I ended up just running away from every battle until I finally found the shack and the demo ended. Huh?

hi
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2010, 03:47:46 PM »

Rich is lending his talent and skills to this project, doing a great job so far! He's also helping me with lots of feedback and ideas, so we are working really hard on fixing and improving everything to have an awesome game for all of you.

I really liked the battle system, but after a while I got tired of picking up ammo.  Since either by glitch or lack of implementation getting hit by enemies wouldn't kill me, after a while I ended up just running away from every battle until I finally found the shack and the demo ended. Huh?

Thanks for the feedback! We are gonna change that ammo system, it's resulted to be a bit annoying but we will come up with something much better. And yeah you can't die on the demo! It's written on the readme file. Tongue

I've fixed several issues thanks to everyone's feedback. A mix of visible enemies and random battles is being implemented, movement's getting fixed, etc. etc. Devlog coming soon!  Smiley

deathtotheweird
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2010, 04:22:29 PM »

good  Beer!
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2010, 04:23:18 PM »

I think it would be fun if you made the battles have a lot less obstacles so the player can maneuver, (and honestly I'm kind of confused why there were always trees in the battles even when I was in the middle of an open field. Big Laff) and if the enemies moved a little faster but were one-hit kill.  Cause you know, it's a firearm.

hi
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2010, 05:47:43 PM »

I think it would be fun if you made the battles have a lot less obstacles so the player can maneuver, (and honestly I'm kind of confused why there were always trees in the battles even when I was in the middle of an open field. Big Laff) and if the enemies moved a little faster but were one-hit kill.  Cause you know, it's a firearm.

haha, the battles have obstacles because that would make escaping harder also I'm planning on making like mini levels of these stages sometimes, with small mazes and stuff, but there are some battle fields that are more open too, so there will be a bit of everything. Wink and more variety too.

Also, let's be honest, maneuvering can't be exactly a strong point in a game with tile based movement like this one (tile based movement not yet implemented on demo) because it isn't exactly fluid. Also, it's a firearm? Yes! But it's a game too!  Big Laff You want to turn this RPG into an action game  Cheesy Also you get more powerful weapons along the way and as you level up your Aim stat goes up so that inflicts more damage to enemies  Well, hello there! so yeah, there will be a point where you will be able to kill weak enemies with one hit  Tongue

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2010, 04:23:48 PM »

Hi, just to inform you that I opened a new DevLog topic for this game here: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=14424.0

We will be posting about game progress there, and will use this topic just for the stuff regarding the demo submited to the competition.  Grin So go there for updates! Thanks.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 21, 2010, 08:22:56 AM »

This started of really well, but when I started getting random combats every two seconds I quit pretty quickly. Well actually I couldn't find out which key to press to quit, so I Alt-Tab'd out and killed the app. I liked the way the story was shaping up though. Good work.

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2010, 05:13:14 PM »

Thanks, man. Random combats are gone. Well, you can now see the enemies walking on the field, so you can choose to face or avoid 'em. But, 'til the point the combat starts, you don't know what you are really getting into. So in some way they are still random, just less annoying.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2010, 07:28:49 PM »

Awesome!  Can't wait to p play the full version.

hi
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic