Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:46:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Devil Stick Detective: 820 (Demo 5)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Devil Stick Detective: 820 (Demo 5)  (Read 4178 times)
Edrobot
Level 0

New Challenger Approaching

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2010, 05:38:17 PM »

So... yeah. I'm new here. I thought this competition looked pretty cool, so I think I'm going to give it a try. No harm in that, right?

Cover

The Pitch
An 8-bit genre blending pastiche of JRPG's with purposely poor localization.
The best way to describe the gameplay I want is "Persona meets Zelda meets Baten Kaitos".

Story
(Yes, I copied this from a Google's Translation of the cartridge's description. That being said, it wasn't all that different from what I had in mind when I first saw it.)

One day in 1987 was killed by someone Metropolitan SF Kashiwagi Yuki in the school for three years. Yuki has left behind the last breath, "820 characters" blood. These three points and handing out numbers ...! ?

SF School Detectives club you belong to (He likes meat), the child's classmates Yamaguti Maki (15 favorite Strawberry) and their baby niece psychic J.J. (He likes milk powder) , Hayato Yoshioka club members detective (He likes 86 (Ham)) the help of these, Devil Sticks to solve this.

Screenshots

Features basic gameplay, plus the ability to activate your supermove (though it doesn't do anything yet. Yes, it's rough around the edges (for instance, it can't tell the difference between a Full House and Two Pair), but I say it's pretty decent for two days worth of work.

Features basic gameplay, new enemies, plus the addition of functioning super moves. Next up: More enemies, The Dungeon Boss, and the Random Map Generator.

Features a randomly generated dungeon (1 floor only so far), some gameplay tweaks, and more new enemies. Next up: tweaking the dungeon exploration, and the Dungeon Boss.

More rooms, better balance, plus the ability to go up multiple floors. Still haven't gotten the final boss done yet, though. I still need to make 30 more rooms for the Random Dungeon Generator, for more variety. After that, I can get to work on the Date Sim portion of the game.

More rooms, more enemies, more bosses. Now to work on the final boss...

Comments Please?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 06:20:23 AM by Edrobot » Logged
Edrobot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 01:40:32 PM »

Hey! I, um, actually posted some screenshots and an early demo. So come check it out.  SMB Mario
Jo-o
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 02:10:37 PM »

(just played)I liked it!

Lurk
Super Artistic
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 04:02:27 AM »

Controls seem a bit stiff with the kind of action you're going for. Maybe allowing for some diagonal movement for the player at least would help.

Code:
if shooting=false
{
if keyboard_check(vk_left)
{
direction_facing=180
if !place_meeting(x-maxspeed,y,obj_wallparent) && runable=true
{
image_speed=0.2
sprite_index=sprPlayerRunLeft
x-=maxspeed}}   

if keyboard_check(vk_right) 
{
direction_facing=0
if !place_meeting(x+maxspeed,y,obj_wallparent) && runable=true
{
image_speed=0.2
sprite_index=sprPlayerRunRight
x+=maxspeed}}
if keyboard_check(vk_up) {

if !place_meeting(x,y-maxspeed,obj_wallparent) && runable=true
{
image_speed=0.2
direction_facing=90
sprite_index=sprPlayerRunUp
y-=maxspeed}}
if keyboard_check(vk_down)
{
if !place_meeting(x,y+maxspeed,obj_wallparent) && runable=true
{
image_speed=0.2
direction_facing=270
sprite_index=sprPlayerRunDown
y+=maxspeed}
}}

try this in your step event, instead of your control scheme. You need to declare a runable variable in your create event(this is to prevent the player from moving when dead or paralyzed or hit in your case). Replace the obj_wallparent with the name of your wall parent. You also need to declare the direction_facing variable in your create event, but I'm not sure you need it(I use it for strafing). Shooting is also a variable in the create event. I'm not the best coder, but this gives pretty smooth moving around with a maxspeed of 1 at 60 fps.
yokomeshi
Level 0

tonight we're gonna party like it's 1989

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 04:26:25 PM »

Look very closely at the guy on the box art and tell me that's not Morgan Freeman.   Grin

He's literally labeled "Morgan." WTF

Having Morgan Freeman show up out of nowhere in a Japanese detective/dating-sim kind of game would be beyond amazing.
reetva
Level 5

Bee dee bai do beeeee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 05:57:29 PM »

Morgan Freeman should be the father figure of the game.  Kind of like Dojima but with more Morgan Freeman.

Hello!  I am here to boogie.  Shall we?
JMickle
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 05:58:08 PM »

i think you have no choice but to put morgan freeman in this game.

Edrobot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 11:15:00 AM »

Allright, a new demo is out, and this time super-moves actually work!

Now, to respond to your comments:

To everyone that said the old guy on the cover looks like Morgan Freeman, yes, I am well aware of that. I'm probably going to end up calling him "M. Freeman" or "Moreman Freegan" or something like that.

As for Lurk's concerns, the stiff control scheme is a result of me trying to emulate the original "Legend of Zelda"'s controls. You will, however, be able to unlock Diagonal Movement as a powerup, so I'll see if I can use your code at some point.

EDIT: Sorry folks, looks like the demo doesn't work. My bad. I'll get a new one up in a few hours, hopefully.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 12:54:54 PM by Edrobot » Logged
Edrobot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 01:31:20 PM »

Okay, the new demo is fixed. I also added a new enemy too; the Oni.
Edrobot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 09:17:36 AM »

They're called "Devil Sticks" beacuse they're divining rods once owned by the devil. Or something. I dunno, the marketing department insisted that the title be more "Edgy".

Seriously though, there's a new demo up! And this time it actually has good graphics! Woooo! Beer!
Edrobot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 03:56:45 PM »

You know how double posters suck?

WELL TOO BAD!!!

Oh, and another demo is out.

I'd say the "Dungeon" part is 90% complete at this point, once I get the final boss done and make some more rooms, I'll get to work on the Date Sim part of the game. If anyone knows a good script for displaying text one character at a time, or choosing dialogue options that would be a great help. Oh, and finding some good royalty-free music for the game would be useful too.
senselesslydeep
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 10:29:49 AM »

They're called "Devil Sticks" beacuse they're divining rods once owned by the devil. Or something. I dunno, the marketing department insisted that the title be more "Edgy".

I'm going to furiously chime in that devil-owned diving rods should totally be called "damning rods."
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 01:12:43 PM »

I'm going to furiously chime in that devil-owned diving rods should totally be called "damning rods."

But divining rods don't bless or make divine someone. They just find things.
Edrobot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 01:38:55 PM »

You're all completely missing the point. The title "Devil Sticks" is supposed to be a joke about how many Japanese video games (as well as some american ones) have non-indicative, or just plain odd names (Such as Cave Story, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, etc.). My explanation that the "Devil Sticks" are a pair of divining rods once owned by the Devil is supposed to be one of those half-assed explanations that you only get by reading the manual, and is in no way referenced in the game itself.

Oh yes. A new demo is out. It has more enemies, more bosses, and more rooms. You can get it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?lmz11xy3xtx

I hesitate to ask for feedback at this point, as the game is still unfairly hard due to my lack of implementing the date-sim mechanics that you improve your character with. Once I finish the final boss (whom isn't even in this demo), I'll get straight to work on that.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 01:52:54 PM »

I know that, was just pointing out his name wasn't very good.  Wink
senselesslydeep
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2010, 03:47:39 PM »

You're all completely missing the point. The title "Devil Sticks" is supposed to be a joke about how many Japanese video games (as well as some american ones) have non-indicative, or just plain odd names (Such as Cave Story, Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, etc.). My explanation that the "Devil Sticks" are a pair of divining rods once owned by the Devil is supposed to be one of those half-assed explanations that you only get by reading the manual, and is in no way referenced in the game itself.

I agree that "Devil Sticks" is a more fitting name in that regard.

My idea was inspired from the fact that a lot of NES-age games would include items that were clearly not what they were named after (granted, I can't think of one off the top of my head). Just like how a divining rod wouldn't divine, a damning rod wouldn't damn. In my imagination, Satan names things sinisterly just for kicks.  Tongue

Regardless, I'm looking forward to seeing what result your creative direction leads to.
Edrobot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2010, 06:29:15 PM »

If I can get it done... I leave for camp on the 12th, and won't get back for two weeks. That gives me, like, 6 days total to finish this thing up. Still, even if this doesn't get into the competition itself, that just means I have more time to polish it up for the final release (whenever that is).
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 01:09:56 PM »

Okay, you really need to work on your movement code, because it's pretty buggy. If you hold two directions, and your character moves, say, up, and you let go of up, you expect your character to move to the other direction you were pressing, like right, but it just stays still there until you let go of the button and press it again. You can limit movement to four directions, but the way it is now it's very hard to move the character around well with a keyboard.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic