Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411500 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 11:45:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Ruins
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Ruins  (Read 3101 times)
Lega
Level 0

View Profile
« on: June 28, 2010, 07:19:55 PM »

Ruins

What is it?
Ruins will be a platformer with a focus on the exploration of various ruins (such as abandoned caves, crumbling cities, etc.). Of course, to complete it within the month-long time allotted to the complete game entries only one location will likely be completed. Although the focus of the game is on exploration and trying to find cool ruin-like things there will also be enemies and obstacles which will need to be overcome.

Who is in it?
The game will feature a single protagonist named Wallace Blastwright who is simply an explorer looking for lost technology and whatever else he can find to help keep his underground colony from dying due to dwindling resources. There will potentially be more characters that Wallace will run into, though this facet has yet to be determined.

What tools does Wallace employ?
Wallace will have many tools which he may employ to help him survive in the ruins. To date, the explorer will have a gas-powered grapple hook, a revolver (for dangerous encounters), charges (for clearing away rubble to access new paths), and a digi-pad (for tracking information on the various items found in the ruins, providing a self-updating map, and other digi-stuff). All of these items will need to be used to make it through the ruins safely and effectively!

What is the story?
Ever since Wallace Blastwright was a child he knew never to go above ground. All the Elders could tell him and the other children of the underground colony in which they lived was that it was one of the last safe havens of Earth after what is known as "The Great Darkening" struck down the society that once ruled so proudly. Now the above ground world is filled with un-breathable air, unthinkable creatures, and unknown mysteries that have developed since that horrible event.
Wallace was trained all his life as one of a few potential "Explorers" after showing some adequate skill, curiosity, and proficiency in the matter. He is one of few who, once donning the necessary breathing apparatus and suit, is to walk above ground once again to search out lost technology and necessary resources to keep the colony in which he lives from dying.
Armed with a pre-event revolover, modified gas-powered grapple hook, a few blast charges, and a digi-pad Wallace must strike out across the many ruins of the land to find what he can and, if time permits, find a way that those who once ruled the ground above may do so once again...

You are Wallace. Goodluck.

Anything else?
Ruins will feature lovingly hand-pixelled graphics (to get my pixelling abilities back in check before I try to tackle my more ambitious game projects) as well as custom music and sounds, as long as I can rope in my more musically inclined friend to create them!

Here's hoping I can actually complete something for once! Goodluck to everyone else! Wink

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 09:19:24 PM by Lega » Logged

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 07:53:10 PM »

How does Psych Holler Shooting game incorporate into the concept?
Lega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 08:38:54 PM »

How does Psych Holler Shooting game incorporate into the concept?

Oh! Haha, I hadn't even noticed that sub-title when I saw the cartridge... Well, I might have to make the game more actiony, although I think I might just ignore that sub-title. Or even edit it out, actually, if the rules allow for that? Giggle

We'll see if I can figure something out!

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 08:40:26 PM »

A PSYCHological thriller through various RUINS. You can HOLLER for minor information about the area round you via echolocation. You can SHOOT various items (throw them).
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 09:34:19 PM »

How you make the game based on the cartridge is up to you. No, you're not allowed to edit the original picture.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pishtaco
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2010, 10:32:17 PM »

You could control a team rather than a single character, and there could be gameplay about communicating by shooting hollers at one another.

It's also possible that "holler" is japanese for "horror" Gentleman.

Lega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 09:16:37 PM »

So, after thinking about the whole "psych holler shooting game" bit, I've decided to leave my initial game idea intact; for now... I was thinking of making the protagonist go "psychotic" at certain points depending on the toxicity of the air in certain areas of the ruins, which would (hopefully) terrify the player, add a supernatural element, and also help with setting up definite exploration branching (as in, the player would need to find new gas-mask filters so that he can proceed through a certain toxic area to get to the next place). However, realizing the level of my skills and the undertaking I've already planned, that added bit will have to take a backseat until I can get a solid game down. If time permits, I will most definitely add something like that.

What is the story?
Ever since Wallace Blastwright was a child he knew never to go above ground. All the Elders could tell him and the other children of the underground colony in which they lived was that it was one of the last safe havens of Earth after what is known as "The Great Darkening" struck down the society that once ruled so proudly. Now the above ground world is filled with un-breathable air, unthinkable creatures, and unknown mysteries that have developed since that horrible event.
Wallace was trained all his life as one of a few potential "Explorers" after showing some adequate skill, curiosity, and proficiency in the matter. He is one of few who, once donning the necessary breathing apparatus and suit, is to walk above ground once again to search out lost technology and necessary resources to keep the colony in which he lives from dying.
Armed with a pre-event revolver, modified gas-powered grapple hook, a few blast charges, and a digi-pad Wallace must strike out across the many ruins of the land to find what he can and, if time permits, find a way that those who once ruled the ground above may do so once again...

You are Wallace. Goodluck.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic