Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:20:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] NECO TOUCH [FINISHED] + small fixes
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] NECO TOUCH [FINISHED] + small fixes  (Read 30412 times)
dontkickpenguins
Level 1

Used to be known as Penguinhat

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2010, 10:47:50 AM »

I'm liking this! It's great fun, and the music really fits the game. However, it can be a bit unclear what to do at the start. I had a younger brother play it and he couldn't get the hang of until I pointed out that the cross changed colour to him. It's probably because the target starts off looking like a bullseye which to most people means "hit the middle!". Although it's probably a bit late to do something about that.

Still, it's awesome.

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2010, 12:38:20 PM »

Perfect, awesome. Hahahahahahah! I'm glad I waited until you were totally done with this to play it. =) The overall effect when you manage to touch the cat is priceless... =) Made my day!
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2010, 02:57:47 PM »

I'm liking this! It's great fun, and the music really fits the game. However, it can be a bit unclear what to do at the start. I had a younger brother play it and he couldn't get the hang of until I pointed out that the cross changed colour to him. It's probably because the target starts off looking like a bullseye which to most people means "hit the middle!". Although it's probably a bit late to do something about that.

Still, it's awesome.
Yeah, I know that's an issue...  I put instructions on the webpage below the game that says match colors, but I know I rarely read those when I'm playing games, lol.

PsySal: Phew!  I'm hoping everyone who plays this game gets at least a few laughs out of it.

hi
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2010, 07:48:22 PM »

Love it! Very fun, and the pixel art is fantastic!

The color changing target is a bit confusing at first. Perhaps you could make the matching part of the target flash to push the player to hit that? Just for the first few rounds until they realize the colors need to match. It took me several goes before I realized what I was doing wrong when the target color changed the first time.

The first time through, I felt like the target score was too high, as the game dragged on a long time. The game really doesn't have any depth to it, so it starts to drag pretty soon. I feel like the player should have a limited number of Necos, and you go for the high score by touching as many in a row as possible. Alternately have a "Story" mode that is basically the game you have right now.

I'd love for there to be an ending. A one-page splash screen detailing how the character's life has been touched by the Neco would be a great outro.

As soon as the yellow target starts to move, the game gets REALLY hard. I feel like the purple target should move first, since it is the easiest to hit even when moving, then the red target moves second. The yellow moving would be the last and hardest objective to hit.

Other than that, it's a solid, short time waster! I wouldn't play it regularly, but it's something I'd share with a bunch of people for a few quick laughs. The very concept of attempting to touch a Neco and failing is amusing.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2010, 09:06:46 PM »

lol, man, you don't have to tell me it's repetitive, I've been playing this thing for nearly a month now. Big Laff  I never really intended for it to be much more than a time-waster, so aside from any bug fixes I'm just going to leave it as-is and move on to other projects.
Plus the code is pretty horrendous since I hadn't used AS3 or FP before I started.  There's a lot of redundant code that I'd have to fix first before I could really start to upgrade it.

Also:  The points get massive bonuses as you get higher so it's not as far a ride to 1 million as it might seem at first.  But yeah the win screen is pretty underwhelming, especially considering my original idea for the win screen was pretty much what inspired the entire game.  I might add those in later when I'm feeling artsy, but for now it's on the backburner.

hi
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2010, 09:17:33 PM »

P.S. I never said it was going to be easy to NECO TOUCH. Cool

hi
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2010, 01:00:20 AM »

An amusing little time waster indeed. I'd probably make the cursor a bit bigger to make the change in colors more evident, and add an image like the ones you have detailing that you should match colors.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Curseman
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2010, 03:00:17 AM »

Pretty good, other than the color matching aspect not being very clear.

I like how clumsy and uncontrollable it gets towards the end.

I think my favorite part is the old guy's facial expression when you make a mistake.
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: August 08, 2010, 03:59:15 AM »

Okay, consensus is that it's not clear enough about the color-matching so I'm gonna I put in a helper graphic at the beginning.  Also going to adjust adjusted the point values so that smaller ones give massive points when the game gets fast and unwieldy.

Thanks for all the feedback guys! Beer!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 04:55:13 AM by JR Hill » Logged

hi
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2010, 05:25:12 PM »

Actually, I've decided the game isn't complete enough for me to be satisfied with it, so in a few weeks I might return and do proper winning and losing screens.

hi
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: August 09, 2010, 01:38:14 PM »

Okay, so my dad was playing this and said after a while the cursor turned gray and red etc.  Has anyone else experienced this?  I can't even imagine what would cause it since there are only the three color values available.  Anyone else get this?

hi
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2010, 12:22:20 AM »

This is good fun! - and that music is pure cheese  Grin

(haven't spotted the grey cursor issue you mentioned yet)

Flimgoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2010, 01:49:22 PM »

According to this:
http://tinycartridge.com/post/942873021/indie-games-inspired-by-famicase-carts

The guy who did the original famicase art played this game and posted here:
http://olulu.jugem.jp/?eid=354

Anyone who can read japanese able to confirm?

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2010, 06:23:41 PM »

lol yes, I sent an email to them.  He says he got bored of it after about 5 minutes but that he's happy it was made.  (Also that it didn't match his original intentions for the game, which is true)

I left another comment telling him about JaJitsu's game cause it's better lol.

Good find!

hi
Flimgoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2010, 06:15:57 AM »

Cool, it's nice to see these things go full circle Smiley

I don't expect whoever did the musical one I've based my game on imagined flowers and bees either tbh Wink

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 14, 2010, 07:41:59 AM »

What exactly DID he expect his game to be like?
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: August 14, 2010, 10:31:47 AM »

Cat education software, you would get points based on how you interact with the cat.  Petting its head would get you x points, scratching its chin would get you y points etc.

hi
Monkeylover
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 14, 2010, 01:33:55 PM »

Great game!
It really made me laugh - which i think was the intension Smiley

I especially liked the music, did you make it yourself?
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: August 14, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »

Nah, it's a song by Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass called Mexican Shuffle.  Old song, but you've probably heard other songs by him like Spanish Flea.

I am totally amazed that I've gotten any response at all on this game, but maybe that's because I don't really like playing whatever this genre is, lol.

hi
Monkeylover
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2010, 09:39:28 AM »

My god, that is some funny music..  Kiss

Thanks JR Hill.. I will go eat tacos now...  Hand Fork LeftWell, hello there!Hand Knife Right
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic