Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411476 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 03:04:09 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Oh!! Tamanegi yarou chindouchyu!!! [FINISHED?!]
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Oh!! Tamanegi yarou chindouchyu!!! [FINISHED?!]  (Read 23405 times)
miconazole
Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 08:15:34 PM »

Ah ok. I made a functional background loading/deleting system, though I haven't tested it to see how well it works yet.

I've decided to change the control scheme so that the horse is constantly moving forward with no input, but pressing the three jump keys simultaneously will cause it to dash forward, and releasing them will make it jump. Making this work seems simple but my solution inexplicably doesn't work (I'm pinpointed which part isn't working, but I can't figure out why the hell it doesn't). In addition to this, the onions can jump and duck independently to avoid dangers.

I'm still using placeholder blocks so no screenshots, they're boring. When I have the mechanics working right and the first level done I'll post a demo but until then this'll probably be my last update so don't assume I'm given up... at least not until the 31st rolls around Tongue

Edit: Also, I've decided to keep it 3 player, but with the simplified controls it's not too difficult to play alone. I guess that's a reasonable compromise.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 08:18:36 PM by miconazole » Logged

miconazole
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2010, 10:43:54 AM »

OK. I said I wasn't going to post again until I had a demo, but I guess I lied! This is the AMAZING PROGRESS I've made in the 9 days I've been working on this thing.

Beautiful graphics!
Robust engine!*
Panoramic backgrounds!
And this unfinished animation of a running horse.

I have work to go to and freelancing to do, and in the meantime increpare has finished his game. Fuck this contest!

*In case you can't tell, this is what happens when you miss a jump. My elegant solution doesn't actually work. I can't make heads or tails of my terrible code. No one is even looking at my topic on Yoyogames. I am incapable of anything and hate my life.

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2010, 03:38:04 PM »

In the words of that great philosopher Parappa the Rappa, "You gotta believe!"

hi
miconazole
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2010, 09:44:18 AM »

Ok, temper tantrum over!
Making good progress!
Replaced the placeholder sprites with the real deal, which necessitated a lot of tweaking and getting everything working properly again, but fortunately I'd designed with this in mind so I didn't have to go too elbow-deep-brain-surgeon on my code. Did I mention I've started writing code more than using drag and drop? And finding it easier? Lemme tell you a story, today I discovered that my three-button jumping mechanic was completely broken. Not slightly buggy, or somewhat unreliable; it didn't work at all (and I'd somehow managed to go over a week without noticing). Basically I'd set up a complex system of checks and variables that allowed the damn horse to jump at any time, using any button. That clever solution had taken me a full day to implement, too. I despaired a little, then jotted down a few notes, deleted several pages of actions, wrote about 10 lines of code and fixed it in half an hour. So really, what I saying is I like to think I'm getting better at this.

My main concern now is that I won't be able to finish in time. I wanted to get the parallax scrolling set up today and record a video but I didn't even manage to start on that, and I feel like I should probably spend tomorrow doing real work. I DO have a hilarious old gameplay video but I feel that it's best paired with a video that's actually... you know... good Tongue

Anyway sorry if you find this boring and would rather I just posted more content. Here's my finished horse!

Edit because I don't want to bump this post: This morning I attempted to sit down and work on a website and brush up on my css. Drawing up designs was like chewing on cardboard. I can't stop thinking about this game and all its little niggling problems and their solutions. It's like a spot of technicolor brightness while all the world around it has faded to grey. Instead of making website mock-ups I implemented an obstacle check for my horse. Thanks for nothing, AGBIC.

Second edit: I wonder if my ground object is actually necessary. Clearly, this way lies madness, but still...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2010, 10:04:10 PM by miconazole » Logged

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2010, 01:11:34 PM »

I know plenty of people that'd love that horse's design.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2010, 05:26:43 PM »

The horse is fantastic and I appreciate its wavy hair.

hi
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2010, 06:22:22 PM »

I love the horse, and the idea behind this game.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2010, 02:51:27 AM »

I am in awe at your continued adventure, and these updates are more than entertaining enough! Your game has such a fantastic little story behind it already, and it's actually intriguing to get updates. And the game itself sounds fun too! What I'm trying to say, is that you're doing a swell job! Keep it up!
miconazole
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2010, 06:48:58 AM »

Ok, gameplay video time!

First video (beautiful!!!!!):

Second video:
The graphics are kind of screwy here, reason being I banged them out in an hour as a sort of self-imposed deadline to have a video by the 15th. I'll have to fix them later. The ground tiles don't even exist (I made 'em, but decided I wanted hills instead of flat ground so I had to scrap them).

I REALLY should attend to some real-world responsibilities so I probably won't be working on this over the weekend. Sadly this leaves me a week and a half to finish up my engine as well as draw and implement the five levels I have planned (and one of them is a real doozy). I'm seriously considering withdrawing from the comp (but not giving up on the project, mind you) because I hate the idea of releasing something so unfinished. Then again, I feel like my main motivator these past two weeks has been the deadline, even though I don't really have any hope of meeting it. Thoughts?

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2010, 08:15:58 AM »

I laughed out loud when the horse fell into that hole.

I suggest you release a sort of demo or prototype, something playable, for the compo, as a sort of appetizer. Then you can continue working on it later.

miconazole
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2010, 08:26:43 AM »

Heh, I laughed out loud when the castle attempted to escape the level. I recorded that just before setting off to work so I was like "aw geez maybe I should fix that NO NO FUCK THAT YOU'LL BE LATE FOR WORK".

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2010, 08:30:14 AM »

Do not give up! Your little onion punks are adorable, and I would play your game just to jump the horse over holes.

|
Spross
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2010, 08:36:15 AM »

I think it looks quite entertaining. Hand Thumbs Up Right
I agree that you should release at least a demo for the compo even if it is only one level.   You can do it!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2010, 12:22:26 PM »

Sounds like it could tons fun. There aren't nearly enough "multiple-players-on-the-same-keyboard" games coming out these days. Art looks like a cross between Wind Waker and Patchwork Heroes. Great stuff.  Wink
miconazole
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2010, 08:08:11 AM »

Well I always thought eventually the onslaught of technical problems against my inexperienced programmer mind would kill my motivation and bring this project to a halt, but actually these past few days I've been having a little minor personal drama that broke my combo and killed all my motivation. It's like I can't finish something if I'm not thinking about it 24/7 uninterrupted (and seriously, I WAS thinking about this damn game 24/7 for days on end). Sigh. I'll see what I can get done by the 31st.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2010, 02:16:24 PM »

Just keep going with it. Sometimes you get events that sap some of your energy, but it is possible to return to your original mindset for making the game, and a big part of that is just sitting down and getting to work on it.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2010, 02:40:02 PM »

What I find that is helpful is to spend time working on something superficial that is pleasant, like a nice title screen. It helps build momentum.

|
santaragione
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2010, 04:31:45 AM »

Let me say, I do like sausage horse!  Hand Metal Left

Ryavis
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 24, 2010, 10:35:15 AM »

I think this game has a feel that is utterly charming.
miconazole
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2010, 06:00:46 AM »

Shucks, guys :V
I figured I should post an update to show I haven't died or given up. Though... you may be disappointed by how little has changed. I'm pretty jealous of the progress and pace some people have managed because it seems like 95% of my development time is me spinning my wheels.

I finally forced myself to pick this back up today and set about fixin' shit up - not doing anything new, just attempting to fix my many many problems. Spent several hours scratching my head over one particular problem, but now I'm pretty glad to say I learned a new gml function and Mr Longhorse no longer gets stuck on edges of pits. Also set up a new system where everything stands still until a variable is triggered, thus paving the way for a title menu (no title screen here - it'll make sense when you see it).

Graphics are my biggest headache right now, kind of ironic considering I'm supposedly an artist. Why can't I knit beautiful graphics out of code? Why?! I can't seem to work out an appealing colour scheme, tiled graphics are giving me a huge headache and the thought of animating anything makes me shudder. Sigh.

I'll try to get a compo version out by the 31st if we're not getting an extension, otherwise... I may release a demo anyway. Here's the rather ugly image I've been basing my graphics on. I'm torn between staying true to the cart and not being ugly (specifically, the sky should really be much darker... but I haven't been able to pull that off).

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic