Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:32:34 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Monkey Freak [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Monkey Freak [FINISHED]  (Read 12821 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 04:48:47 PM »

Oooh, nice, I was wondering where this went.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 12:54:07 AM »

It feels like the camera's max panning speed should be slightly faster than the monkey's movement so that you can see farther ahead when you're running long distances...  Other than that the controls feel good, and everything seems to be working.

hi
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 03:10:48 PM »

Glad to see one of my most anticipated games making good progress!
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 12:52:55 AM »

WIP screenshot... still missing art as you can see by the grey checkpoint box, blue background and grey level floor  Grin

I'll show off the gameplay this weekend hopefully.

miconazole
Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2010, 01:02:50 AM »

This is lookin good! :D

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2010, 11:14:37 PM »

Got a lot of work done this weekend, thank goodness for the extension.  Here are some screens from the first lab:

This is one of the game mechanics, you can discharge either red or blue energy that will get you through barriers of that respective color.  

Can't tell from a single screenshot, but these are Mega Man style vanishing platforms.

Here (and in other shots) you can see one of the many lab rats in this level that you need to rescue.  I also changed the color scheme to match the aesthetic on the cart.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2010, 12:06:34 AM »

wow, that looks fantastic. can't wait to get my hands on it  Hand Joystick
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2010, 08:44:34 PM »

Phew, done!

Download it below, I'll update the first post as well:
Windows
Mac
Web
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 09:30:45 PM by Chris Zamanillo » Logged

astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »

That's definitely ambitious to adapt a Famicase in 3D !
The result looks stunning, even if it crashes on my PC (but so does each Unity entry of this contest, so I guess my pc is misbehaving Sad

I would have personnaly tried to imitate the original cellshade design, as seen on the cartridge, but I admit it's not that obvious to tweak in realtime 3D.

And maybe you wanted to do smthing else, visually Smiley

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2010, 12:50:13 PM »

Aww, thanks for trying to play anyway.  Does the web player crash as well?

I did want to go cel shaded originally, but like I said the Unity toon shader looks ugly to me  Droop  I am using the free version, and I'm wondering if Pro uses a post process technique for edge detection rather than attempting it earlier in the pipeline.

astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2010, 12:56:22 PM »

Yup, any Unity game I'm trying with the Web plugin does crash as well, so I'm assuming something is wrong with my PC.

Ok, for the CellShader issue, sorry. Considering the famicase, maybe only Celledge would have been necessary.

Are you familiar with the "Push + Flip normal" technique ?
http://www.moddb.com/tutorials/fake-cell-shading1
http://cokane.com/lines_tutorial.html

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2010, 01:05:50 PM »

Very cool, I can see where that would be useful on platforms where doing the edge detection in real time would be costly (phone, etc.).  And yea, that looks like it would have better results than Unity's shader.

astrofra
Level 3

CG Hoister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2010, 01:20:12 PM »

Yup, it usually doubles the polygon budget, and you have to exclude the "edge mesh" from casting shadows, but it's very controlable, and it looks fat & dirty like in "Jet Set Radio" on Dreamcast.

SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 09, 2010, 06:51:39 AM »

One bug: In the first lab it is possible to jump over the top-right boundary if you jump from the step with the checkpoint. This leads to an infinite free-fall. Either kill the player when they fall below the map, or make it impossible to jump over that barrier to solve the bug!

The rest is great! Graphically the game is gorgeous, and I love how the obstacles are all beakers and Bunsen burners to give it a lab-like feel. The music and dance when you rescue a rat is fantastic and always hilarious. It's a little difficult, but not too much. I finished with all rats and bananas in about half an hour or so. I would eagerly play more levels, either with new obstacles or with new scenery but the same basic mechanics. You could easily adapt the color-change mechanic to other puzzles, like switches that are activated by certain colors, or foes that react differently to your different fields. It is good, simple game design!

I dislike the places where a banana is hidden just past a rat in a dead-end. That makes the player replay segments if they didn't know to look (Or accidentally danced with the rat instead of jumping over it) or makes getting the banana the same as collecting the rat. I'd prefer to see more bananas in difficult to reach places, like on not-so obvious ledges, or between deadly obstacles when you should be focused on dodging and not item collection.

The field-generating mechanic feels a little too short-lived to me. Not only do you need to hit the right color, but you need to time it carefully to last through the barrier. If you hit it too early it wears off halfway through and you die. The segments where you free-fall through several different color barriers or jump through barriers onto moving/disappearing platforms feel like they would be difficult enough without this restriction. Any thought on making the generating mechanic last until you release the button or land?

Congrats on creating what feels like a complete game! Avoiding the feeling of a Demo is difficult in these compos, and you have successfully overcome that hurdle, in my opinion.
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2010, 08:43:45 AM »

Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for all the great feedback!  Beer!

One bug: In the first lab it is possible to jump over the top-right boundary if you jump from the step with the checkpoint. This leads to an infinite free-fall. Either kill the player when they fall below the map, or make it impossible to jump over that barrier to solve the bug!

Haha yea, my friend found that one as well and posted the screenshot of him standing on the post before jumping on my Facebook.  I was so meticulous about finding all those spots and adding pit triggers in every level except for the one I had done early >_< Thanks, I'll fix that.

I dislike the places where a banana is hidden just past a rat in a dead-end. That makes the player replay segments if they didn't know to look (Or accidentally danced with the rat instead of jumping over it) or makes getting the banana the same as collecting the rat. I'd prefer to see more bananas in difficult to reach places, like on not-so obvious ledges, or between deadly obstacles when you should be focused on dodging and not item collection.

That was me being evil, I'll consider moving some of those next update.  Particularly a couple after difficult rats to get to.

The field-generating mechanic feels a little too short-lived to me. Not only do you need to hit the right color, but you need to time it carefully to last through the barrier. If you hit it too early it wears off halfway through and you die. The segments where you free-fall through several different color barriers or jump through barriers onto moving/disappearing platforms feel like they would be difficult enough without this restriction. Any thought on making the generating mechanic last until you release the button or land?

This is a tough one... One of my goals was to make timing of the button press critical, and it was actually a lot more strict before.  With the old length of the effect, some of the jumps across vertical beams were near impossible since I didnt add those til the later levels I created so I made the length a little bit longer.  I'll play around with keeping the delay between being able to switch colors and have the effect last longer, currently the two times are tied together and separating them might alleviate some of the difficulty.  

Congrats on creating what feels like a complete game! Avoiding the feeling of a Demo is difficult in these compos, and you have successfully overcome that hurdle, in my opinion.

Thanks!

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2010, 09:41:42 PM »

An interesting game you got here. The platforming feels pretty responsive. But I'm gonna have to be honest with you, those rat and monkey models creep the fuck out of me. When they started dancing it felt like I was watching something out of the twilight zone. WTF

Other than that it was fairly enjoyable, if a bit bland in places. Good job on getting it finished.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 21, 2010, 09:04:16 AM »

I could only get one rat on the first level, and I couldn't get past the flashing blocks on the second level, in fact it took me ages just to get past the first bunsen on the second level. The music's great though, and I loved the models/animation. Good work.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic