Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411498 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 08:53:24 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Sushi Blade [FINISHED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Sushi Blade [FINISHED]  (Read 7877 times)
LM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: June 28, 2010, 11:43:57 PM »

Sushi Blade

Description
Rid sushi of contaminants to save customers from death at a low quality, unhygienic sushi restaurant in a castle.
             Inspired by

Download
N/A.

How to play
 Panda
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 08:10:47 PM by LM » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 11:55:55 PM »

Interesting to see how that concept gets realized into a game.
lokijki
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 12:10:55 AM »

But but but... I was doing this one!

It would seem we are competing.  Hand Shake Left Mock Anger

My games on  GameJolt.com

Carefree games
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2010, 11:25:48 AM »

One of you had better make a damn good game out ot this. Smiley
Galaxy613
Level 1

10,000 Lightyears of Awesome

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2010, 11:37:11 AM »

Both of you had better make two damn good games out of this. Smiley

Fixed. Beer!

[ Quest! ] A new year, with new possibilities. [ Follow me on Twitter! ]
LM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 11:47:37 PM »

But but but... I was doing this one!

It would seem we are competing.  Hand Shake Left Mock Anger
  Hand Fork Left  Tiger Hand Knife Right

Put some of the art together real quick ^. Finished Sushi Blade, the throwing star thing, and have 4 versions of the above sushi. Going to work on some rolls, enemies etc. soon.

For coding I finished the character movement and attacking and a few other game play mechanics. Next i'm going to work on putting enemies in.

Should have some in-game screenshots in a few days  Shrug
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 12:38:21 AM »

Is that 3D? Looks amazing.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010, 07:16:11 AM »

That looks crazy cool; I wish you great success!

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
LM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 12:10:33 AM »

Yes, it is 3d. Sorry for the really slow reply.

Anyway here is a demo.
Almost everything is in, except the controls and credits are not finished and a few other minor non-gameplay elements.

Controls:
-Hold shift to run/glide.
-Space to jump (press again in air for double jump).
-For every 10 of the blue points you have (on the right) you can press X and the game will temporarily slow down and the eating persons life will go up some.
-Mouse is aim and click to throw a star.

How it's played:
-You must kill the parasites on each piece of sushi before it reaches the person eating. For each parasite he eats his health will drop and if it gets to 0 he dies.
-Wasabi and Soy sauce will slow you down if you land in them.
-The glowing parasites are what give you the blue points. They do not glow forever and will only give you blue points while glowing. The amount of time they glow is random but they will not make it past the middle point of the level (on easy at least) so you need to move up towards the chef to kill them in time.
-If you fall into the eating persons mouth you will die.
*- Right now there is no way to win, so the game will keep going on forever until you or the eater dies. A way to win will be put in soon.

Any input on bugs, better control schemes, increase/decrease difficulty etc. would be great Smiley

http://sb.velociraptorsvskitties.com/SushiBlade.swf
Thats a direct link to the swf. For some reason the preloader only works there, not when it is embedded into a page (which you can see here: http://sb.velociraptorsvskitties.com). If anyone knows why that is it would be nice to know  Shrug.

TY!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 12:24:00 AM by LM » Logged
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 06:35:44 AM »

I played the demo, and I thought it was fun.  A little repetitive, perhaps, but it wasn't boring.  As far as the difficulty, perhaps it could have increased speed with time? 

Also, about the controls - I feel as though they would be a little more intuitive if the "jump" button was located above the "run" button, and the "run" button was located to the right of the "jump" button.  What you have is opposite from this, so perhaps switching the functions of <SHIFT> and <SPACE> would work.  Also, you could maybe use <W> for jump and <D> for run; then it would feel like WASD controls. 

I liked the all-over-the-place art style, and the Japanese-style paintings were pretty funny.  Nice game!

~ Theta

LM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 05:52:52 PM »

I played the demo, and I thought it was fun.  A little repetitive, perhaps, but it wasn't boring.  As far as the difficulty, perhaps it could have increased speed with time? 

Also, about the controls - I feel as though they would be a little more intuitive if the "jump" button was located above the "run" button, and the "run" button was located to the right of the "jump" button.  What you have is opposite from this, so perhaps switching the functions of <SHIFT> and <SPACE> would work.  Also, you could maybe use <W> for jump and <D> for run; then it would feel like WASD controls. 

I liked the all-over-the-place art style, and the Japanese-style paintings were pretty funny.  Nice game!

~ Theta

Thanks Smiley

I'll try your control suggestions and the increasing speed over time. I think that will work good, just need to find a way to balance all of the difficulty stuff with points and winning. Kind of thinking points will be pointless if I just end it after a certain amount of time since extending your play time is the way you get more points in the first place.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 06:10:19 PM »

Neat game.
It's pretty hard to hit the parasites. I think the difficulty could generally be decreased, but the idea of having the speed grow over time is good.
I like the visuals a lot, but it's a shame the angle is so static. It would be neat if the character moved around more so you could see more of his face... I don't know, maybe that's just me.

My music.
If your Twitter doesn't have enough depression and awkward pomposity, here you go.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 09:15:09 PM »

An interesting game. Clicking the mouse constantly gets tiresome pretty quick, but it was enjoyable, even if the collision detecting between the shurikens and the parasites (ew) was somewhat iffy.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
LM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010, 10:57:04 PM »

Thanks for the comments Grin. I think I fixed some of your issues.

Updated demo: http://sb.velociraptorsvskitties.com/

The controls have changed:
W is jump and D is run.
Press space to use the points to regain health.
You can now just hold the mouse button down to throw instead of clicking each time.

The speed of the conveyor now increases with time along with the rate the sushi drops.

You can also win now and your progress towards that is indicated by the little sushi rolls that will appear at the top of the screen.

I think I am done for the most part, if I have time I will add a few minor graphics things.

Neat game.
It's pretty hard to hit the parasites. I think the difficulty could generally be decreased, but the idea of having the speed grow over time is good.
I like the visuals a lot, but it's a shame the angle is so static. It would be neat if the character moved around more so you could see more of his face... I don't know, maybe that's just me.
I have an idea on how to let you see more of the character, hopefully i'll be able to get some time to add it in Smiley

I forgot to check on the collision, i'll do that soon and see if there is anything I can do to make it better.
Also the preloader is still broken so if nothing is happening just wait a little bit and the game will start.
ness io kain
Level 6

died and is a ghost.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 09:13:47 PM »

Ah, hitting the parasites is much easier now.
This turned out really well; it's very polished. I still dislike the "stuck flatness" of the visuals (which would otherwise be excellent), and it gets a bit tedious, but other than that, it's nice.

My music.
Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 07:16:07 AM »

Why hasn't this got more replies? I'm loving the art style, everything looks just about perfect. Except the font. I couldn't read what the controls were from the help screen, so I had to come to this thread.

The gameplay is fast and fun. Though the addition of another game mechanic or two could make it a bit less repetitive. I also think the healing should be automatic, since there's no reason you would ever not want to heal the customer.

Anyways, I don't think I'll be eating sushi for a while.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic