Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 12:36:34 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Love Letter - FINISHED! (v1.0)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Love Letter - FINISHED! (v1.0)  (Read 34203 times)
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: June 29, 2010, 11:04:10 AM »

Love Letter

Description
Had no intention of doing anything for this, then I saw this:

"LOVELETTER"
KIMA / artist figure, or Official Site
And feelings to him 込Me.
A character string, you can write a love letter in the form of a password.
Save finished writing,
shoe rack 忍Baseyou to her.
You dare not care about them by hand.
What good end or bad end, it's up to you everyday.
(The piece of software can save is a one-time)

(added emphasis is important-ish)

...and a fully formed and distinctly achievable game design lept into my mind.  So I might have to do something after all.

Sincere apologies to Bood_War who spotted it first http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=13430.0.  I hope this cover is big enough for the both of us. Smiley
             Inspired by

Play
[Play Online]

How to play
Use the arrow keys or wsad, or numpad.  Jump around.  Collect hearts.  Collect them all without dying even once and you'll get the chance to dedicate the game however you wish!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 09:55:57 AM by Jonathan Whiting » Logged

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 05:12:42 AM »

I made a start on this last night:

There's a first build up at http://jonathanwhiting.com/temp/loveletter.html.  There's nothing desperately exciting in it though, just some basic platformer physics.  If anyone has any comments on how it feels/how I could improve it let me know, I think nailing the feel here is going to be important.

This is a game about commitment.  It is a collection based platformer, with no save points, and no extra lives.  It will be brutal, yet fair.  The first person to actually beat it will dedicate the game for eternity to whomever they like.

Saker
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 05:33:51 AM »

The game doesn't load for some reason . Anyway , The graphics look awesome , very simple and fresh , good luck Smiley
HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 05:34:36 AM »

Glad someone is doing this love letter cart...

The demo feels a little sluggish to me--like the air is thick and heavy. Maybe it's a steamy love letter though and this is a-ok?

Like the visuals.

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 07:19:23 AM »

The game doesn't load for some reason.

Hmm, curious..  Could you share your platform/browser/flash player version so I can try and figure out why not?

The demo feels a little sluggish to me--like the air is thick and heavy. Maybe it's a steamy love letter though and this is a-ok?

Hmm, no, that's not really my intention, and playing about with it a bit more I think I see what you mean.  I'll have a play later, see if I can make it feel a bit snappier.

Thanks for the comments re: graphics both of you Smiley

Saker
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 07:33:53 AM »

Hmm, curious..  Could you share your platform/browser/flash player version so I can try and figure out why not?
It is probably due to my shitty internet connection , Anyway , I use Chrome 5
IngisKahn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 09:07:56 AM »

"Loveletter"
KIMA / figurine artist, among others
Put in your feelings for her.
Character by character, try writing a love-letter with the password form.
When you're finished writing, save; you can hide it in her shoe rack.
A boy with courage would hand it to her personally, but it doesn't matter.
A good ending or bad ending always depends on the boy.
(For each game you can save just once.)
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 03:06:00 PM »

I managed to crash it just now and it killed Firefox.
I was filling up the screen with blocks until the little guy was at the top.
I think it crashed either because it tried to push the guy off of the top of the screen, or because i tried to draw over the guy.

I like how this is coming along, the graphics are really cool!

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 12:02:13 AM »

IngisKahn:  Wow, huge thanks for the better translation.  I'm not sure if it changes the direction I'm going to take or not yet, but at least I'm now fully informed Smiley

Nugsy:  Ah, sorry about that, my platform physics appears to like to go into infinite loops when the player gets stuck.  Serves me right for leaving development features (the block drawing) in 'release' builds.  It shouldn't happen again, I hope.

Had a productive couple of pre day job hours this morning.  I expanded the game world support from a single screen to many screens, and tweaked the physics a bit (mostly I just sped them up). I've updated the build at http://jonathanwhiting.com/temp/loveletter.html

miconazole
Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 01:21:27 AM »

I like the way jumping feels. And how your little block guy flails his little legs :D

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2010, 03:14:58 AM »

Hah, yes. The flailing was something I'd meant to fix at some point, but it's been growing on me Smiley

Glad you like the jump feel, I'm a lot happier with this revised version, but it's so hard to judge these things without feedback.

HybridMind: Thanks for the point about sluggishness, you were definitely right.

HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2010, 03:57:42 AM »

Nice the feel has been much improved. Fun to explore the larger space as well. Yeah I dig the minimal visual style on this one a lot.

increpare
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2010, 04:09:59 AM »

I find myself falling off platforms a lot when I mean to jump.  Maybe that's just me.
Nugsy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2010, 06:03:14 AM »

I don't mind, i enjoy crashing things! Big Laff

The only problem i seem to have with the new multiscreen setup is that on open-topped screens, it's hard to tell where the edge of the game is. I guess this could be solved by putting a border around the game, or just changing the background colour of the page.

Other than that minor niggle, this is coming along really nicely. Can't wait to see more!

miconazole
Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2010, 08:54:24 AM »

Oh, please don't "fix" the flailing! I assumed it was intentional. It's very charming.

I don't understand what Nugsy means by filling the screen with blocks, can you create blocks? I only managed to explore for a few screens before having to stop because I couldn't jump high enough.

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 01:06:23 PM »

I find myself falling off platforms a lot when I mean to jump.  Maybe that's just me.

Hmm, that's a little concerning.  Presumably you mean that it feels like you pressed jump before reaching the edge, but fell instead?  I can think of one or two things that might be able to tweak to improve the feel here, but it may not help.  Will have a look anyway, thanks for the pointer.

Oh, please don't "fix" the flailing! I assumed it was intentional. It's very charming.

Hah, okay, it stays (unless I come up with something better later).

I don't understand what Nugsy means by filling the screen with blocks, can you create blocks?

My original build had my development tilemap prodding 'tool' in.  I like to make levels in-engine wherever possible, because of the instant feedback.  It's disabled now.

I only managed to explore for a few screens before having to stop because I couldn't jump high enough.
Fun to explore the larger space as well.

Yep, there's only a handful of screens in this build, and they're just placeholder tests.  There'll be a *lot* more before I'm done (I really enjoy level design).

Thanks for all the feedback all!

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2010, 01:49:30 PM »

Making pretty good progress I think.  My (rather simple) core mechanics are now in (though perhaps shy a little tweaking), and I've made a start on the proper level design.

I've updated the build.  If you hit a "NO" screen it just means I've not developed that bit yet, there's only 6 or so of the 34 planned screens.  Oh, and try pressing 'm', it's kinda cool.

Increpare: I think I found the reason that you were falling off platforms too easily:

There was a bit of a bug in my platforming logic that meant that it could be up to 3 (randomly) logic frames after pressing jump before the jump begins.  Which meant you could travel nearly half a square before the jump kicks in, not great!

I've fixed it now.  Thanks again for mentioning it, I'd have been unlikely to look otherwise.

HybridMind
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2010, 05:08:14 PM »

Making pretty good progress I think.  My (rather simple) core mechanics are now in (though perhaps shy a little tweaking), and I've made a start on the proper level design.

I've updated the build.  If you hit a "NO" screen it just means I've not developed that bit yet, there's only 6 or so of the 34 planned screens.  Oh, and try pressing 'm', it's kinda cool.

Increpare: I think I found the reason that you were falling off platforms too easily:

There was a bit of a bug in my platforming logic that meant that it could be up to 3 (randomly) logic frames after pressing jump before the jump begins.  Which meant you could travel nearly half a square before the jump kicks in, not great!

I've fixed it now.  Thanks again for mentioning it, I'd have been unlikely to look otherwise.

Yeah didn't run into any control issues (I had some issues with the jump like increpare but it is working fine now!)

I'll have to go back and try the 'M' key to see what it does. I like the jump power up (and what I assume will be puzzle solving aspect on later levels) on how to traverse with your power intact etc. Very cool.

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 08:36:25 AM »

Yeah didn't run into any control issues (I had some issues with the jump like increpare but it is working fine now!)

Really glad I found it then!

I like the jump power up (and what I assume will be puzzle solving aspect on later levels)

Yep, that's definitely something I've been working in, I'm trying not to go overboard on the puzzles though, the intention is it'll be mostly about consistent precise platforming.

I've done about 2/3rds of the level design now, and I've been working out some of the odd glitches and performance worries I was having.  Feels a lot more solid to me now.

I've updated the build again, there's a lot more to explore in this version, but a lot more loose ends too.  Now to start tying them off..

increpare
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 10:24:47 AM »

Shaping up nicely -

I wonder what the chance is of someone dedicating this to an obscene word : P
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic