Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 09:56:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralBook on Game Feel
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Book on Game Feel  (Read 9969 times)
mike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2007, 04:20:37 PM »

I've been following this thread with some interest. It's really enlightened me in terms of user input.

Also, what ought I to have played that I haven't feel-wise?
If you haven't played any of the "VR" games with the massive goggles etc, then you'll have missed out on a kind of bizarre input experiment.
Personally, I've only use one of those machines (back when they were kind of new and exciting in the main stream). And I gotta say it had the worst feel ever. I just couldn't get into it at all.
I should probably blame that on the technology of the time though... I mean, the Wii controller is far more responsive and nowhere near as bulky and those "gloves"/paddles...

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that since it really was a foray into a new and unknown "feel" of user input.

-Mike
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2007, 06:50:44 PM »

Gah! Steve, you are my brain-twin or something.

I really want to get my feedback done, but I'm getting busy working on our game demo, and preparing for a trip to america.

I want to talk to you about "edge mechanics" and "edge metaphor": when do you use discrete vs. continuous? I want to talk about Quake 3's movement (friction based) vs. Unreal Tournament's (speed capping). I want to talk about finite state machine animation systems vs. indiscrete physics based approachs vs. hybrids. I'm just so busy!

Steve Swink
Swank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2007, 07:47:09 PM »

Don't sweat it, Willy. Where in America are you tripping to? If it's nearby Phoenix, we should hang loose.

Steve Swink
Game Designer, Enemy Airship
Content Director, IGF
sswink (at) enemyairship(dot) com
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2007, 05:46:39 AM »

North Carolina. I don't know where that is relative to Phoenix.

Also, I'm going be working, so it won't be easy for me to travel anyplace :/

Impossible
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2007, 02:16:46 PM »

It's just like a 4 or 5 hour flight from NC to Phoenix. You should drop by for a while Smiley.
Zaphos
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2007, 06:01:43 PM »

Just a picky note: the word "Deconstruction" probably isn't the one you mean to use, unless you actually do want to bring a wanktastic theory of literary criticism in to your analysis of video games?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic