Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1296823 Posts in 57653 Topics- by 48699 Members - Latest Member: protogon

May 22, 2017, 03:10:09 pm

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Kinoko Boy [FINISHED]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Kinoko Boy [FINISHED]  (Read 9863 times)
Silbereisen
Professional Otter
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2010, 04:13:02 am »

And so 444's development is interrupted yet again for another compo entry.  Wink

Experience the daily hardships of a young anthropomorphic space mushroom defending himself from  the evil Intergalactic Gourmet Organization as they try to make him part of one of their sick, twisted meals.

CAN YOU SURVIVE???

HOW TO PLAY_________________________________________________________________
This is an arcadey highscore-driven game about surviving and avoiding things. Levels are procedurally generated. Scoring is achieved by enemies dying while they're in your field of view. The debris of destroyed enemies can be scavenged for powerups

CONTROLS____________________________________________________________________
LEFT/RIGHT ARROW KEYS- move
A- jump
S+DIRECTION- slide/dash
D- scavenge powerups

ESC- pause
ENTER(RETURN)- quit game in pause mode/confirm name entry

DOWNLOAD____________________________________________________________________
DEMO
FINAL

New in demo 2
Code:
-Music and sound
-Two new enemy types
-Configurable controls
-Gamepad Support
-Slightly toned down difficulty (despite what I said arlier)
-Better collision detection (hopefully)
-Numerous small tweaks and fixes
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 12:01:46 am by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 07:12:40 am »

this was a good choice. it's very open to interpretation.

Inanimate
Global Moderator
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 09:25:11 am »

This was one of the cases that really interested me. I interpreted it as a serene exploration game.

Can't wait to see your concept in action, though!
Silbereisen
Professional Otter
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 02:54:15 pm »

Thanks for the support guys. I don't really wanna talk too much about gameplay specifics at this point so I'll rely on visual communication for now. Here what I have so far, after about 6 hours of development in total.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 05:12:22 pm »

Haha awesome, glad you kept the buggered up eyes
Inanimate
Global Moderator
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 05:59:06 pm »

Already looking pretty great. the ground might need a bit of work, but it's still great.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010, 10:40:03 am »

Yeah, you should probably work a bit on the color choice for the ground, but the character sprite is charming.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Inanimate
Global Moderator
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 02:01:14 pm »

Perhaps make the color of the ground more subdued, much like the player sprite?
J. R. Hill
Level 10

The perfect farmer's tan.

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 05:06:50 pm »

Looks like a typical DOS game pallette to me.  Totally bringing me back...

hi
Silbereisen
Professional Otter
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010, 04:55:57 am »

Thanks guys. Please keep in mind that I suck horribly at graphics, so any advice in that department is highly appreciated. Here's a new a new screenshot with darker ground tiles as well as a HUD and enemies. I'm not sure if it's final yet but I guess it could be. I'll post a few words on the gameplay tomorrow or later today.  Wink

edg3
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010, 05:19:37 am »

I like the style you're going for. Are there going to be different terrain types? Or all dirt with grass on top? It would be cool to have varied locations to simulate the movement of your anthropomorphic space mushroom around his world.

Inanimate
Global Moderator
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010, 01:39:56 pm »

I love that fork enemy.
Silbereisen
Professional Otter
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010, 10:38:30 pm »

OK, as promised, here's a bit on the gameplay:

This is an arcadey highscore-driven game about surviving and avoiding things. Levels are procedurally generated. Scoring is achieved by enemies dying while they're in your field of view. The debris of destroyed enemies can be scavenged for powerups.

I like the style you're going for. Are there going to be different terrain types? Or all dirt with grass on top? It would be cool to have varied locations to simulate the movement of your anthropomorphic space mushroom around his world.
I've been thinking about that, but my top priority at the moment is making all the "basic" things (game mechanics, enemies etc) and making them as good as possible. Anything else will depend on how much time I'll have left after that, but I imagine it's going to be plenty, considering 80% of the basic gameplay is fully functional already.

Anyway, I'm going on vacation for a week starting today, but I'm taking my laptop with me, so expect a playable version of this after I return.  Smiley
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 10:47:03 pm »

Looks pretty cool, after seeing 444 in action I can vouch for your enemy designs. Can't wait to see how this turns out.  Beer!

Silbereisen
Professional Otter
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 07:57:38 am »

Thanks!  Beer!

Awright, first demo is up! Contains infinite levels, three enemy types and highscores. No sound yet except for one little effect I had to put in for "technical reasons". Any and all feedback wanted and appreciated.  Gentleman

Also, I'll be leaving again in a few hours and spend the next one or two weeks in the beatiful Austrian countryside with very limited internet access. I'll try to reply to your posts, but I can't upload any new demos or hotfixes or anything, so sorry in advance.  Smiley
Silbereisen
Professional Otter
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 12:13:44 pm »

Sad
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 12:23:32 pm »

Noir

Your game is a failure!

I'm just kidding - the graphics are very interesting. I'd love to see some sort of gameplay footage.

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 01:20:20 pm »

Those forks are devils! I love games like this that give me a weird skill to master. I like the idea of the scavenge mechanic. Also, your fonts are nice.

I'm withholding feedback on controls and gameplay until I play a bit more. This competition puts me in the mindset of "FAMICOM GAMES" and that makes me accept borderline unfair and mean games as commonplace.

EDIT:

I'm guessing powerups are not functional yet? I wasn't able to scavenge any. I liked trying to figure out how to kill the enemies, but after I got the hang of it I survived for a long time. It would be nice if the hoppers were a little more aggressive. Also, hiding in a hole is very effective against forks, although it doesn't make sense once the ufos or the hoppers show up.

Without powerups, the movement speed is painful and slow, but it did make me cautious. I'm assuming you're still working on collision detection; it's possible to stick into the wall and do a kind of wall jump, as is.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:27:56 pm by moonmagic » Logged

|
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 04:48:30 pm »

It's an interesting concept. Sorry feedback was not offered promptly, this compo puts me all over the place. Crazy

Game's very hard, but not entirely in an unfair way. You should probably work a bit on the graphics for the spaceships. They look a bit odd right now.

Overall I think this has great potential for a fun dodger.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Silbereisen
Professional Otter
Global Moderator
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 09:17:25 am »

Thanks!. Also, @Melly, no big deal about the feedback coming late. It just seemed like no one cared about my game for a while there, which is always a bit of a demotivator.  Wink

I'm guessing powerups are not functional yet? I wasn't able to scavenge anys.
They are, they're just kinda rare at the moment. You can't scavenge any grey debris. Shoulda been clearer about that I guess.

I liked trying to figure out how to kill the enemies, but after I got the hang of it I survived for a long time. It would be nice if the hoppers were a little more aggressive.
Yeah, I've been thinking about making the hoppers jump toward the player more. One of my ideas with this game was to make most enemies non-aggressive so the player has to deliberately put themselves in danger in order to get a high score. As I said, enemies that die "off screen" aren't worth any points. I've been playing with the idea of introducing a minimum score requirement for each level to enforce this more.

Without powerups, the movement speed is painful and slow, but it did make me cautious.
I knew someone would mention that.  Wink The idea is to use the dash move "strategically" in order to avoid certain enemies (while still scoring points).

Game's very hard, but not entirely in an unfair way. You should probably work a bit on the graphics for the spaceships. They look a bit odd right now.
I like it brutal and unforgiving. Still trying to make this one as fair as possible tho.  Evil
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic