Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:27:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Cosmos: Drifting Towards the Future [CANCELLED, SORT OF]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Cosmos: Drifting Towards the Future [CANCELLED, SORT OF]  (Read 1810 times)
Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: June 30, 2010, 05:53:07 AM »

I am still going to be working on this game but not as part of the competition as I don't want to be included in the voting process. Will post a separate thread somewhere else later.

COSMOS
drifting towards the future

CONCEPT

My game is going to be about two brothers in 1969 struggling to find their place in the universe. One is a hippie student the other an astronaut on his first mission. As the decade is about to turn they both find uncertainty about their choices in life as everything is changing around them.

The game will be some sort of adventure game, but fitting into the NES era graphical restrictions.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 05:33:19 AM by Perrin » Logged

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 06:11:40 AM »

Oh wow.  Great concept.  It sounds like something you could base a very compelling novel on, and yet also, a game is possibly even more appropriate for it.

I for one am more interested in seeing what you do with the similarities rather than the differences between the two brothers.

Perrin
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 05:09:49 PM »

Oh wow.  Great concept.  It sounds like something you could base a very compelling novel on, and yet also, a game is possibly even more appropriate for it.

I for one am more interested in seeing what you do with the similarities rather than the differences between the two brothers.

Cheers, yeah my plan was to start off by showing how different they are but over the course of game break that down and show how fundamentally similar they were all along. Not particularly original but I think it's really good way of getting into the heads of the characters.

I've been doing some preliminary research and I'm thinking I'm going to base it around the Apollo 12 mission. Since that was a time when the excitement over the moon landing had already happened and the beginning of the public losing interest in space exploration. Also as this was late 1969 the hippie movement had already passed its peak and losing steam. So gives the two characters good crisis points.

Since I don't really want to have my two main characters to be real, I think what I'm going to do is have it be slightly tangent to reality with one of the real Apollo 12 astronauts being replaced by a fictional character shortly before the mission. Means I can make reference to lots of real things and people but go wild with my main characters.

In terms of the game, right now I'm thinking I'd actually like it be a mix of adventure and mini-games. Like for each character there is a hub area (flat and space ship) where they can talk to characters and do adventury things but the events in their lives are played out as little game sequences.

Not starting developing on this yet, as I've got an Action 52 game to finish (hopefully asap) but I'm getting some research material as I kind of want this to be fairly historically accurate if possible, want it to reflect that place and time as much as possible.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic