Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411413 Posts in 69360 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 05:22:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Thumb Fight
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Thumb Fight  (Read 2160 times)
jwk5
« on: July 01, 2010, 08:14:16 AM »

THUMB FIGHT:
10 finger tag match from the dreams 3

White Text: Thumb Fight              Yellow Text: 10 finger tag match from the dreams 3
(Big thanks to Stampede for translating that for me.)

The plan so far:
The game play I've got in mind will fall somewhere between Riddick Bowe Boxing (SNES/SEGA) and Monster Rancher (PSX/PS2/GBA), with a ridiculous WWE-esque wrestling story thrown in to drive the game forward. The game will progress in weeks (game time, not real time, a la Monster Rancher) and you can choose to train your thumb wrestler (raising its stats) or let it rest for the week (recovering its health). On certain weeks there will be shows you can participate in or the occasional story event.

For the actual combat I am using Ridick Bowe Boxing as a basic framework. You will use various jabs and thumb strikes to weaken your opponent and create openings for you to perform slam attacks or pins. You can't really move (because you're essentially a thumb sticking out of a hole in the ring) but you can lean backwards (to dodge) or bend your thumb (to crouch). The combat will happen in real time and the damage dealt by the different attacks will vary by the stats of the attacker.

I am not going to get too crazy with the Cheese Wiz right off the bat (I want to keep this project fairly manageable), so I will basically create a "rank ladder" scheme like Monster Rancher (where you battle at the end of the year in a special tournament to advance a rank) and a story arc to span across it. I will make it so you have some customizing options available to you as far as your thumb wrestler goes (might not be as extravagant as a THQ WWE Create-A-Wrestler mode but there will at least some personalizing). If the project turns out pretty cool I may add to it after this contest is through (but for now I am keeping it feasible within the time constraints). I've got a good portion of the game planned out, working on a basic prototype now.

Graphics and sound:
Sound effects and music is a hurdle I'll leap when I get there, but the art will definitely be large and digitally hand drawn (because that's how I roll). I want to keep the looks in the spirit of the cartridge above with real funny cartoon-like mayhem spiced with cheesy wrestling flavor. As soon as I get some of the rough sketches ironed out into solid concept art I will post a bit of it to give you an idea of where I am going with it and what to expect. In the meantime you can check out my iScribble gallery if you want a rough idea of what my art is like (though pretty much all of it is random doodling).

Development:
Currently I am working with GM8 (which is easiest for me to prototype in) but I may move it over to Torque Game Builder (which can export to Mac, etc.) once I get the basic framework nailed down. The controls won't really be too complex (there's only so many ways a person can move their thumb) and will rely on some what of a rock-paper-scissor move priority (a "yomi layer 3" setup). I don't have much experience in internet play yet as far as programming goes, that might be something that will have to wait till after the contest, but I do plan to set it up so you can have 2 to 4 players play on the same computer (since only 2 fighters are active on the real time battles, and the rest of the game can be played via turns).

Download:
As soon as I've got something ready for you to try I will post it (I just wanted to get this topic started as a place holder and so you all know I am entering the contest). Questions and suggestions are welcome.

EDIT 2: I got the battle mechanics ironed out nicely, and I think it keeps the thumb wrestling flavor well. This is the gist of the "yomi layer 3" cycle for the battle system:

The "jab" is your basic damage-dealing move and is essentially a quick poke with your thumb. The "push" is a locking move that holds your opponent in place momentarily (it triggers a contested button press mini game) that buys you valuable time to regain your stamina. It is essentially you pushing your thumb against your opponent's. The "press" is your submission and pin move. When your opponent's stamina is too high for a pin the "press" deals progressive damage on the opponent for its duration (again, a contested button press mini game breaks it). The "press" is basically you pushing your thumb down on your opponent's. Finally, the "bend" is a sort of dodge maneuver, it evades a "jab", after which a "flick" can be executed as a counter attack (almost like an uppercut). A "jab" counters a "push" attempt, a "push" can stop a "press" attempt, a "press" attempt counters a "bend", and a "bend" counters a "jab". "Bend" and "Push" are neutral, meaning which action takes effect depends on who timed it better. "Jab" and "press" are similar. The AI won't be totally random (which would be difficult for the player to predict), each AI wrestler will have certain tendencies (hinted at by the character theme and description). I will keep track of the player's tendencies too so the AI can put up a decent fight, and so that there is at least an illusion of a mind game present. Each wrestler's signature move will be a powerful version of one of the four basic moves (and some might have special effects, like progressive stamina drain for a limited time). They will be flashy and over the top (with some special effect graphics).

EDIT: I threw this together real quick to illustrate what I've got in mind.

EDIT 3: I am thinking something like the following for the characters. Having the wrestlers as detached thumbs deviates a bit from the case art but it allows for a better range of animation and movement (and I've discovered it can be pretty difficult to make a thumb not look like a penis...) The final art won't be all quick and scribbled, it is mostly the general shape and feel of the characters I am referring to here.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 10:53:15 AM by jwk5 » Logged
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 10:21:32 AM »

Hand Thumbs Up Left Apoplectic

hi
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 10:23:35 AM »

Well that sounds pretty awesome.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Rob Lach
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 10:51:24 AM »

Ahahah this is great. You should put in a costume editor where you can color your thumb.

jwk5
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010, 11:00:40 AM »

I want to make it so you can choose the skin color of your thumb and then different hair and clothes, as well as the signature move and whatnot. It will take a bit of careful planning but I think it is pretty doable. The AI characters will be easier than the player character since they don't need to be segmented (I plan to make a lot of parodies of real wrestlers).
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010, 01:57:29 PM »

Hand Thumbs Up LeftCheesyHand Thumbs Up Right
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic