Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411428 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 01:39:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] The Vastness of the Cosmos
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] The Vastness of the Cosmos  (Read 1762 times)
bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: July 01, 2010, 02:41:20 PM »

The Vastness of the Cosmos

Description

An open-ended, ambient, space-navigation game. The protagonist, an unfortunate astronaut who ends up alone in space, propels him/herself from asteroid to asteroid.

The game will include realistic gravitational physics. I'm aiming for a format to embed in a webpage, so likely either Flash/Flex or Processing/ProcessingJS. I think the real trick to this game will be a non-intrusive control system and fitting soundtrack.
              Inspired by

Download

Not yet!

@bnhw on Twitter
Sushi Snake blog/site/buy
bnhw
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 11:51:49 AM »

I've started to hack the game out in Processing. Although there are some nice games engines for Flash, I decided that it might be more valuable to have an example of a Processing games engine for other aspiring developers.

I've made some progress with the physics engine: gravity and collision-handling. There's a known bug-by-design, but otherwise it's mostly working to spec.

Physics prototype

Another thing I've been doing is trying to work out how the game will play. The current concept is to directly control the astronaut's arms with the mouse; essentially, once you're within arm's reach of an asteroid, you can click-and-drag to propel yourself. I've also got more ideas for gameplay, but I'll have to see how much time I have--I've kept this intentionally minimal in scope so far.

@bnhw on Twitter
Sushi Snake blog/site/buy
mcccclean
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 05:55:20 PM »

This sounds interesting... I'm always oddly drawn to games with "ambient" in their list of adjectives.

Controlling with the arms sounds like it'd be pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing how that plays.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic