Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 12:27:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Caravan [CANCELLED]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Caravan [CANCELLED]  (Read 2893 times)
Fistchandeles
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2010, 03:21:10 PM »

Caravan

Description

Due to some unforseen happenings this project has been cancelled.

In the post apocalyptic future you find yourself in a refugee camp that is slowly running out of food. To save the camp you decide to trek across the unforgiving arid sands of Helfor in search of another food source. The dangers of Helfor are many including large rocks, unusual pits, eerie caves, and dangerous beasts. The natives of Helfor celebrate strength so, as you travel and demonstrate your endurance in the desert, others will join your caravan. Each new traveler will add a new strength to the caravan.

After much deliberation I've decided to make it a side scrolling adventure game.
             Inspired by
None

Download
http://www.mediafire.com/?nuz5yu4jrbe

How to play
WASD-control the caravan
Mouse-aim
Left click-shoot
(more controls to come most likely)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 04:22:40 AM by Fistchandeles » Logged
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 03:24:43 PM »

Sounds interesting. I like the idea of employing various 'strengths' to impress natives.
Fistchandeles
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 11:16:00 PM »

Update 1:

Just finished with the basic movement of the vehicle and the ground beneath. Should have a nifty screen shot soon.

I'd show everyone the sprites but right now they're in the test phase and as I'm not greatest artist they won't be anything to talk about.

However, right now I'm tired and goin to sleep.
Fistchandeles
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 08:19:29 PM »

Update 2:

Found a few glitches with the ground/vehicle movement but luckily I fixed them nicely. After brainstorming I've decided to take it a slightly different route. Instead of having the whole game be side scrolling I've decided that it needs something more, something to flesh out the story and add more dynamic.

So I've decided to add way points on your journey where you can choose what native you'll add. Want more speed? Add Jose. Want more guns? Add Garf. Want missiles? You get the picture. I've created a bunch of sprites and will soon have a screen shot that would be decent enough to show.

I've been contemplating boss battles as well.

Also, any advice would be great.
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 10:58:50 PM »

It's hard to give much feedback/advice without seeing a bit more of it, do you have a work in progress build you could share?

I like the idea of 'upgrades' being named individuals, it sounds like there will be combat in the game, it might be neat if they also act as your 'lives.

DamienDe
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 04:42:29 AM »

The idea of crossing large stretches of land and finding ways to survive sounds so cool to me. I was thinking about a similiar concept some time ago, too. But it would play in a fantasy realm, where people are running away from a desaster cross a sea and now face an unknown land to trek into. And it would be 3d...and this is the good thing here, that you choose side scrolling, as you would need a REALLY good random generator for all the land to cross. With side scrolling you can invest much more time into the gameplay aspects (which will break my compo game, as I am going the 3d route).
Fistchandeles
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 04:59:28 PM »

So I've been working on this a bit and have basically got the movement in the side scrolling portion down. There are a few issues with the jumping and the movement that I have to sort out but it's coming along nicely.

I believe that I will start on the other parts tonight.

Much to my fear of rejection and hate I've decided to show what I've done so far. It's not much but here it is.

WASD to move and click to shoot.

It's just a showing of the movement system and some of the graphics that I've built up for the game.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 11:00:45 AM by Fistchandeles » Logged
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 10:45:38 PM »

You should have let us know it's wsad to move, took me ages to realise (but maybe that's just because I've only just woken up).

It both looks and feels pretty good, but I felt a bit desperate for at least a little bit of air control.

Fistchandeles
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 11:03:41 AM »

Okay so I've pretty much completed the side scrolling aspect and designed an enemy for you guys to have fun with so until the map/area selection screen is done . . .

HERE!

http://www.mediafire.com/?fgqzmywonzz

WASD to move and left click to shoot.
Aim with mouse.

Enjoy Beer!
Fistchandeles
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2010, 04:43:11 PM »

I haven't updated in a while but I've come on to say that it's coming along well. I hit a small snag while creating the art for the Map/level select screen. I'm trying I've never done before for this game. I'm hoping to finish it before the deadline but it's turning out that I may not have enough time to get all the levels I want in. (I believe it's gonna be about 12 levels including a infinite mode and MAYBE a boss rush.)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic