Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411432 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: gigig987

April 20, 2024, 04:55:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsHiddenThe DromeValley of the DeadUnpaid WorkSprite Animation Tool [Programmer]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Sprite Animation Tool [Programmer]  (Read 10954 times)
DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« on: July 01, 2010, 08:26:31 PM »

Hey guys,

I've tried twice so far to make this application by paying a programmer to meet my design specs, but each time the programmer has vanished and left me deeper in the hole.  I figured maybe I'd just offer the project to anyone who actually has an interest in something like this before I go deeper in debt.  So what is the tool?

Overview:
The tool is based on proprietary tools I've used at various 2d game-dev companies including gameloft and glu mobile.  These tools have proven to be completely invaluable to the work flow and development processes at such companies; essentially cutting our dev-time into a fraction while increasing our ability to make more ambitious titles.  The idea is to bring this tool - a better, more user-friendly version - to the independent developer crowd as no such tool exists yet.

Basic Features:

module animation
The core function of the tool is to create "modular" animated sprites/entities from a collection of source images. Module animation is the process of creating an animation comprised of multiple source images, or pieces, to be manipulated frame-by-frame.  For example, lets say you wanted to draw a guy riding a bicycle. Instead of drawing the bicycle in each frame of the animation sequence - essentially replicating the same bitmap data for each frame - you could draw it once in one image and draw the guy in another.  You then combine these images in an animation sequencer.

Sprite mapping
once your sprite is separated into pieces, this presents a whole world of features to be built on top of it. One such as sprite mapping - where you can replace specific images with others on the fly.  Lets say you animated one bad guy's running animation, but now you want another bad guy that's mostly the same, but has an entirely different head.  Oh no! do you have to remake the entire animation again with new images?  Nope!  You can define a "sprite map" for that particular sprite where all head images in those animations are replaced with another set.  The game engine would then be able to load those different sprite-mapped characters from the very same set of data.  very cool.

other features would include...
Bone animation
palette swapping
define origin draw-point
tweened motions
embedded animations
variable definitions per sprite
collision bounds
and much much more

Benefits of Module Animation:
optimized data required to load - smaller file sizes
optimized data to store in RAM allowing for faster games
allows the creative types to work independent of the engineer types
faster development work flow

This only scratches the surface of the possibilities and features of this kind of tool, so if you are interested in this idea I'd love to talk with you in more detail about the project.  I would request that whoever codes it, makes it with the Qt library.  So far, it is the most elegant UI solution I've been able to find for this type of project.  I'd be open to hear of other solutions, but I might be hard to convince.  Let me know what you think of the idea in general.  I have a hard time explaining such a tool or why it'd even be beneficial.

Mockup

Case Examples:

Multiple weapons:
Lets say you animate your main character to hold, run with, and shoot a weapon in your game.  But your game has many weapons your character can use! Must you create new animations for each gun?  Maybe you should get your programmer to place the gun dynamically in-game so it could be switched?  Normally one of these two questions must be true, but not with this tool!  You could simply create a "sprite map" definition for each weapon type you have in-game which would replace that weapon graphic with another when called upon.  All you would need to do is make a number of weapon graphics at all the angles/orientations that your animations require. A HECK of a lot easier than the other two routes!

Movie Sequences:
So you have a bunch of sprites for your game including the main character, baddies, and environment.  Lets say you want to have a movie sequence where your character finally meets up with his nemesis to exchange a few words.  Normally such a scene would need to be orchestrated carefully by your programmer - leaving little room for creative control from the artist.  But with "embedded" animations, you could pull all of your existing character animations into a new one to essentially creating an animated scene comprised of all your sprites that your coder could simply just 'play'.

Menu screens:
Its details like fluid moving menu screens that can really set the tone for a well-polished game, but often is pushed to the wayside due to how much overhead it would require that could have easily been spent on actual game-play polish.  With a tool like this, one could make these polished menu systems with ease, and more importantly without engineering support!  Make a bunch of buttons, some backgrounds, compose them all together, define collision areas over the button areas, and finally animate the transitions/effects/etc to your hearts content.  All your coder would need to be concerned with is what animation to play when the user clicks on a collision area.

I'll continue to post more case examples as I think of them.  Let me know if you have any questions
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:35:58 PM by DanFessler » Logged

Eraser
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 10:01:12 PM »

I've dreamed of such an application for ages, but I believe it is both beyond my skill and time constraints to create. I hope someone starts an open source initiative on this.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 10:10:55 PM »

if anyone makes this I will love them forever, and their payment will be the adoration and eternal gratitude of the world

increpare
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 10:58:46 PM »

Sounds like a cool idea -

It seems that there would be two parts to this
1: an editor.
2: something to load the and interpret the editor-data in-game.

JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 12:19:09 AM »

This is almost exactly like the tool i'm making right now.

As for Qt as widget library - i don't think there's anything better than C# + WinForms for game tools. (using Qt / C++ would increase development time like tenfold).

My goal is to make animation editor i could use for:
1) making a huge amount of enemies and their modular animations easily (castlevania SOTN style modular enemies & bosses)
2) making movie sequences (like a scene in some rpg, or a boss action sequence)
3) making backgrounds/scenes composed of sprites (e.g. aquaria-ish editor)

My first big milestone i'm currently working toward is "object editing":
  • create/group/scale/move/transform, etc
  • zoom in/out
  • grid/snap
  • including undo/redo, all the hotkeys and little tidbits people don't even normally notice
(basically implementing all the menus)

(any suggestions on how to improve the UI design are welcome!)

Once i finish the first milestone i'm looking toward making the animation facilities, however i haven't particularly used a in-house animation tools like you've described, so a more in-depth description on how it should work and feel would be greatly appreciated.

I'd be happy to work with you on this (it's actually a tool i have to make anyway). If you have any written design specs, could you send them to me/publish them here?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 12:32:50 AM by joba » Logged

Instant TileEd - draw pixel art games and export them to Tiled TMX!
Looking for artist for a CRPG!
Lazycow
Level 2

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 03:38:58 AM »

It seems that there would be two parts to this
1: an editor.
2: something to load the and interpret the editor-data in-game.

instead of (2), or additionally, it could also export the generated animation into a new sprite-sheet.

<Nanovoid><Treasureline><Pharaohs Return>
Zulli: "Is this game really being programmed or are you just torturing us?"
increpare
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 04:00:02 AM »

instead of (2), or additionally, it could also export the generated animation into a new sprite-sheet.
That would be something that most people (not caring too much about memory usage) would use I'd guess.
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 04:50:27 AM »

i'm writing a tool like this (again)
only difference is the lack of "new" bitmaps to add.
I've drawn all the bitmaps you can use.

With specific programming problems i might be able to help,
my advice would be to drop the UI-requirements at the moment and focus on the actual program. (it's not very hard actually, it just is quite alot)

i'm not feeling like writing your editor (with libraries i don't use) , for free of charge.
So i won't  Wink
DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 03:42:09 PM »

I'm glad there seems to be some interest behind this concept.  I know for certain that almost all of us indie game devs have used pieces of what this tool is at some point or another.  I know I certainly have for some of my projects.  Working for a mobile company that has based their entire workflow around these tools however has given me an entirely different view of it - allowing me to see how useful many of these tools would be once consolidated in a very user friendly way.

Of all the proprietary tools i've used, there were certainly some things they did amazingly well - and others not well at all.  My goal is to combine all the great ideas of these tools into a much simpler elegant package, as well as add a number of features of my own which I think would be extremely beneficial.  The problem with proprietary tools in general is 'user-friendliness' is usually the LAST thing they are concerned with - and it ends up hurting the true potential for these tools.  This is why I'm so concerned with UI.  (I can show you some screen-shots of some that is absolutely a mess)

increpare:
you are entirely right.  The portion I'm focusing on here is the editor. -but the editor alone does absolutely nothing besides write a file.  People would definitely need to write a library that loads and manages that data in a standardized way.  My assumption is that the community would take care of this on their own; eventually writing libraries for all sorts of dev packages including game maker, darkbasic, C, etc.

joba:
Your tool looks like it's definitely in the right direction.  I would absolutely LOVE to hit ideas off you and share with you what I've learned in private conversation.  Hit me up and we'll talk about this.

Lazycow:
a common feature of the tools i've used is to export animated gifs of your animation - but rarely is that used for final in-game assets, but moreso to easily showcase your work without an engine to render it.

Lazycow
Level 2

Do androids dream of electric sheep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 02:47:04 AM »

I am working on a cross-platform construction kit (which has some of the specs you mentioned above) and this thing needs an editor. I took a look at QT4, it is quite nice and it's multiplatform.

But I could save some time if someone already builds an editor... So what about a status-update? Have you found someone?  Wink

<Nanovoid><Treasureline><Pharaohs Return>
Zulli: "Is this game really being programmed or are you just torturing us?"
DanFessler
Pixelhead
Level 3

aka Indigo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2010, 12:02:29 AM »

Lazycow: Joba is working with me to make this tool at the moment

vidvi
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 08:24:12 PM »

Any chance on a mac port Wink?  Sounds absolutely invaluable.

Check out my musical work and send me some feedback!
Strom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 05:03:33 AM »

DrPetter has a like that is similar to what you are talking about , its called Animape.

See my Assemblee 2009 2D and 3D work Here. My A Game By Its Cover compo entry Journal of Shikoku.
tapir
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 05:37:35 AM »

any chance of making it cross platform (win/lin/mac)?
JOBA
Level 1

EZ

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 10:16:13 AM »

If there will be demand for it, i will port it to Mono.

Instant TileEd - draw pixel art games and export them to Tiled TMX!
Looking for artist for a CRPG!
tapir
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 02:32:14 PM »

If there will be demand for it, i will port it to Mono.

well put me on the list Smiley
BrashMonkey
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2010, 12:15:11 AM »

Hi,

I've just finished the first public beta version of my Sprite Animating tool which is similar to the one described in this thread.Anyone interrested, please see this post: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=15331.0

thanks,

BrashMonkey
qvatra
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2013, 09:31:32 AM »

The best software for sprite animation I found to be Sprite Animation Software from http://spritetools.com/

it's real-time making of animation using only textures(parts od a "body").
no annoying work with layers in PS anymore  Wink
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic