Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 08:07:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] God Cube
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] God Cube  (Read 2579 times)
mcccclean
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2010, 05:17:50 AM »

GOD CUBE

Inspired by:

Download: python (pygame) source
Current state: Not much. Just basic puzzle grid stuff.

At the moment the basic idea is a sort of macro-management RTS, but rather than give direct orders, you control the battle by interacting with a puzzle-type grid.

Different cells in the grid glow different colours, and each colour moves around the grid and interacts with other colours in different ways. Each colour has a different behaviour when clicked on, which will change the cells around it and usually the cell itself.

While the battle board is real-time, the puzzle grid is turn-based - that is, when you click a grid cell, it performs its Activate action, while the other cells perform their Passive actions.

Still fleshing out the idea obviously. Comments and suggestions are totally welcome, otherwise I'd post this on my own private forum that is not connected to the internet.

Red: Anathema
Passive: Spawns darker red "workers" that move out orthogonally, erasing other colours and preventing those cells from being occupied.
When activated: Clears all workers and forbidden ground.
Battle effect: Each Anathema conveys an attack bonus.

Orange: Commandment
Passive: Stationary?
When activated: Becomes Anathema.
Battle effect: Each Commandment conveys a defense bonus, but a speed penalty.

Yellow: Incarnation
Passive:
When activated: Clears the surrounding cells (3x3 area).
Battle effect: As long as you have exactly one Incarnation on the grid... something fairly powerful?

Green: Creation
Passive: Moves in a straight orthogonal line, leaving behind Myths and Prophecies.
When activated: Becomes Commandment.
Battle effect: Each Creation increases the rate of troop regeneration.

Blue: Myth
Passive: Stationary.
When activated: Becomes Creation.
Battle effect: ?

Purple: Prophecy
Passive: Stationary
When activated: Surrounding cells (3x3) become Prophecy workers, which remain stationary. When another colour (Anathema, Creation, Benediction) affects any of the workers, they all clear and the Prophecy becomes an Incarnation.
Battle effect: ?

White: Benediction
Passive: stationary; blocks movement of other colours (eg Anathema can't erase it)
When activated: fills surrounding blocks (and itself) with random colours.
Battle effect: burst of new troops when activated.

AndroidScholar1
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 07:29:12 AM »

Seems rather interesting, looking forward to seeing where this will go Smiley
[platypus]
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 08:01:46 AM »

Kudos on your interpretation on the game cover. This one goes to my list of most followed entries.

It was quite hard to follow the descriptions in terms of how they affect each other. I am hoping for a screenshot or mockup.

Once again, a marvellous concept and good luck.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 01:34:57 PM »

I think this is a concept that has to be played to be understood properly; I get what these descriptions mean, but I'm not sure how to strategically mesh them together and such. Is Anathema's passive effect a good thing (from the "prevents occupation" part, probably not)? Can those "preventing occupation" ones be cleared by Incarnation or Prophecy's "replacing surroundings" effect?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 01:37:59 PM by Inanimate » Logged
frederiksen
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 07:34:42 AM »

i had a somewhat similar idea once (perhaps not, since i'm not quite sure how your game will play). But i could never make my idea fun. So i'm really excited to see how your game will play.
mcccclean
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 07:40:49 PM »

Been working on this!

Army dudes (white pixels) just move randomly at the moment. I'm thinking some sort of swarming behaviour maybe?

The black squares on the battlefield are the God Cubes themselves. Although, if one's AI-controlled, I don't know how that's going to play with the puzzle grid mechanic...

Also the plan is to have different armies not have the same colour units, obviously.
Wilson Saunders
Level 5

Nobody suspects the hamster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 10:49:43 AM »

It sounds like a more coplex and interactive Game of Life. Did that also inspire you? Good luck with your entry.

Play my games at http://monkeydev.com/
Farmergnome
2pacalypse Now
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2010, 04:40:20 PM »

Kinda reminds me of siege from the game factory days, lookin good man  Beer! cant wait to play it

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »

Looks like it could be really tough to get that gameplay working as it should. I commend you for trying. Beer!

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic