Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 03:02:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Level Design
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Level Design  (Read 95519 times)
AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 22, 2007, 11:17:42 PM »

Mostly done, have to animate the goombas, and do gfx for the fireflower + vine, possibly piranha plant, and those rotating fireball things in the castle portion (2 in the lower left there).  Oh yeah and bowser!

EDIT - woops forgot the ah picture Tongue

cup full of magic charisma
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: April 23, 2007, 09:45:50 AM »

Whoa...semi-mandatory 3-gap jumps.  Shocked
Looking great Adam.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: April 23, 2007, 12:33:10 PM »

Yeah, that is incredible! Shocked

Great work, guys!  I hope to contribute more myself this week. Smiley
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: April 23, 2007, 01:12:45 PM »

Just updated the first post with everyone's new level ideas.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: April 23, 2007, 02:46:03 PM »

Yay!  Triple post.  Just wanted to clarify that if you have a great level idea it doesn't have to fit into any of the current level themes.  The themes and map that Arne came up with should just be used as a guideline and nothing else.  So we can have more levels of a given theme than there's space for on the map, or we can have a level of a theme that's not yet represented.  The final map will be based on the levels that we create, and not vice versa.

I updated the first post with a note about that.

Sorry about the confusion.  It was only (relatively) recently decided based on the way level design was going that we wouldn't adhere to Arne's original map design (although I still think it's a great place to start).
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: April 23, 2007, 08:56:22 PM »

Ok, I finally have an idea for a level.

Imagine the screen divided in 3 vertically, with GB starting at the top left. The first 'floor' would be something benign and common like a Starbucks or a Gamestop. Maybe you have to dodge careless coffee drinkers on their cell phones or avoid raving fanboys mobbing the new game releases or flailing uncontrollably over which next gen system is better.

However, down below on the 2nd and 3rd floors would be something much more sinister and ridiculous. Something like a bustling, archaic factory that produces killer robots with a conveyor belt feeding the machinery a steady stream of kittens as fuel. You would have to fight off the robots and avoid the machinery parts in order to shut down the system. Perhaps at the very depths of floor 3 would be the boss battle against the vile CEO of the shadow company, plugged into a bank of computer monitors and guarded by a running river of molten steel.

if only I could pixel Sad

Zaphos
« Reply #106 on: April 25, 2007, 08:39:07 AM »

You don't need to pixel to do the tile map!  I like the idea of some sort of layered "evil superstore" level -- you should figure out the details.  Smiley

I might go for two layers of "mall" and one layers of "robot factory," with robots breaking out to the mall level and causing havok.
Also instead of feeding in the kittens as fuel, maybe the kittens should go in to some sort of mysterious 'black box' and emerge as giant killer kitten bots?
I am a fan of giant killer kitten bots.
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: April 25, 2007, 08:46:45 AM »

You don't need to pixel to do the tile map!  I like the idea of some sort of layered "evil superstore" level -- you should figure out the details.  Smiley

ya, you're right, I'll give it a shot Smiley

the robots reemerging on the shop level is a good idea, I think I can work that in...

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: May 05, 2007, 11:53:09 PM »

ya, you're right, I'll give it a shot Smiley

Please do, it sounds rad!

Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2007, 09:34:54 PM »

How about a Cave Story bonus level?

I'm working on one at the moment. When I have the blueprint done I'll put it up here.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: May 08, 2007, 01:07:55 PM »

That would be cool, yeah.  Smiley

Post some goodness when you've made progress on it, aight?

Pigbuster
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 01, 2007, 09:42:20 PM »

I've been rather busy with the whole high school graduating thing. Not much time to work on this.
I've got this, though.

I was actually able to fit most areas of the game in that little space. Maybe it's overcrowded...  Tongue
Note that apart from some tiles, everything else looks bad at the moment.

1) Get Balding over to the grave. A key is there.
2) That key opens directly into... the egg corridor.
3) All 3 enemies are moving back in forth. I put a bar at the top that the player could hang onto to avoid the buzz saw thingy.
4) Use the terminal to shut down the force field to grasstown.
5) The frog is hopping on the platforms, making life difficult. Maybe it could jump high enough for Balding to jump underneath?
6) When under the Kulala, it wakes up, and it now dives down at you before going back up. Lure it onto the pikes on the ceiling, where it dies and gives you JELLYFISH JUICE.  Angry
7) Use the juice on the fire to teleport to the SAND ZONE.
8 ) Jump underneath the Polishes, but don't fall in the pit. SAND CROC. Get puppy.
9) Give puppy to Jenka. She lets you out of the roof. GENEROUS.
10) Face off with the GAUDI. It will throw a blade which Balding must jump over, then the Gaudi will jump and throw a blade which Balding must duck under.
11) HEY IT'S BOOSTER. He gives you a device that lets you boost up (the Booster 0.8, not the 2.0.) Then he... I dunno. EXPLODES. The block beneath him is open. Fall down to the waterway.
12) Get back to the end of the egg corridor. Use the booster to enter the OUTER WALL.
13) A Hoppy is here, jumping about with that twisted gravity.
14) A midorin is in the plantation. He doesn't hurt you. You can jump on him to ride around. No real reason to do so.
15) BALLOS! ...need to think about how to bring that down to size. It should be his 3rd form, as that's the only form that can be made tiny-tastic. You will likely get a gun from Curley at this point.

Right, that's WAAY too linear at the moment. I might adopt more of a collect-puppies-from-these-areas theme to give the player a little more free will.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 09:43:55 PM by Pigbuster » Logged
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2007, 10:21:34 PM »

Well that's awesome.  Shocked
vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 14, 2007, 08:48:56 PM »

... some more BQ: the quest of guy balding

Thought I'd go ahead and get started on Xion's processing level since this is Xion's level and it's the processing level that Xion did.  CRAZEH LAZEH!    jk.  Think I'll start on the cave level too.  That should be a major painbuster.  Lips Sealed

OK.  I'm sort of meh about the metal tiles.  Maybe it'll look better once the tubes are in.  Meh about the piston too.  Someone should pxl the lab dude in the upper left corner.

I'll TRY to get updates posted as I get some pixels done.

Also, I put GB on the tread so he can lose some fat chub.  Think I'll leave him there for a little bit.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: June 14, 2007, 10:38:30 PM »

Shocked Holy crap dude, that is awesome. Kiss
Much better than anything I could've done (Tiles, those loathesome beasts.)

As for the caves, I did this:

But it's much too hard to make anything out. (Like I said, I hate tiles.)
The only things I haven't done are the water-dragons things...or the purple power-up...I think that's it.

AdamAtomic
*BARF*
Level 9

hostess w/ the mostest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: June 15, 2007, 07:46:40 AM »

great stuff guys!  Xion for the water I would take out the dithering, I think that's making things pretty busy and confusing...also its weird that the water gets lighter the deeper you get?  Maybe emphasize the surface of the water more, and make it flatter, then instead of dithering you could add some real details like fish or plants or like clams or something.  Even if they were just silhouettes so its clear they are background elements?  Otherwise I think it's lookin really cool!

cup full of magic charisma
Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 15, 2007, 09:52:50 AM »

I love the color choices and the level design but AdamAtomic is right, the dittering makes it a bit busy.
vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 15, 2007, 07:41:15 PM »

2 words Xion:  Hawwut!
This is going to look great once it's in motion.
Ok.  Crazeh Lazeh taken allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll the waaaaaay back.
You've been bustin' bunz.   Shocked
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: June 20, 2007, 07:24:49 AM »

Woo!  Nice work, vitaminNewB!  Grin  That's shaping up nicely.

And Pigbuster:  Lookin' good!  Something to keep in mind:  You have have foreground details that Guy can walk behind, if you wanna go full-on Cave Story style.  Wink

Keep it up, y'all!

vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2007, 09:23:53 PM »

Processing Plant

Quote from:  Xion

Baldy begins in the obvious place (where it says start).

The Goal Door is the bright neon green thing

There are four Conveyor Belts, two of which aren't labeled, but you can tell by the half yellow-half...dark-bluish-tealish floors.

There are Three Giant Pistons which plague Baldy 'till the very end. They move up and down cyclically, and they go through the brown spots on the ground that are along their path, though to Baldy they act just like the normal yellow floors and walls.

There are Three Suction Tube Thingies that are like those mail tubes. Baldy can travel through them, but they're one-way. The first one goes outside the play area.

Moving Platforms...you know what they do.

One-Way Moving Platforms. The name says it all. They only go up and they lead to...

Two Giant Round Spinny Saw Blades of Death and Demise, which make poor baldy into pulp if he touches them.

Then along comes the Scientist and His Ceiling Claw Thingy and Maybe a Gun or Something; the only enemy in this stage. He sits back in his little room and controls the ceiling crane claw like a "grab-the-stuffed-prize" machine. He'll punch Baldy if he tries to climb through the window and occasionally maybe shoot something that Baldy has to dodge.

The two purple things are Switches

Then there's the Rotaty Fan Blade O' Deth and Doom, which dices Baldy if he touches it.

Then there are 4 Treasures.

White thing's the disk that opens the exit, yadda yadda, you know how it goes.

K, here's a quick run through of the level;

Start. Stuff (whatever's being processed) starts dropping from that red spot right above and in front of you onto the conveyor belt. Don't get hit in the head! But once the stuff hits the ground it's no longer a threat. K, so you can either go up above the conveyor belt and take the long way, or crawl under and take the short way. The former will take you past the Pistons, and if you choose to, you can jump down and cliffhang -> climb into where treasure #1 is then take the suction tube up to the next area.
Ooor, you can take the moving platforms and get the disk early on in the level (but that suction tube isn't working so you have to go back out the way you came.
If you go the latter way (staying on the conveyor belt), then you'll skip both the treasure and the key and go straight to...
The one-way up-moving platforms. K, you can just crawl straight thru and go on, or wait 'till it takes you up a bit and get treasure #2, and/or wait 'till it goes up a bit then crawl off and fall into the space above the tube and get treasure #3. (Don't move too far left; you'll go right into the saws!) Once you get all the treasures (or not) you go into...
The big room. The first conveyor belt will try to push you back. Not a problem. Go forward, forward, all that jazz, up onto the moving platform, then once the scientist sees you from his terminal, he'll activate his crane, which will try to grab you and drop you back at the beginning of the room/hold you in the line of fire of an incoming projectile that the scientist sometimes chucks/shoots at you. If you're not being held by his contraption, (which stops chasing you when the projectile is in flight) you can either duck it or jump over it. Anyway, you make your way over to the switch and hit it. The door beneath the scientist opens (grey blocks) and he falls to his death. You can now continue through the window of opportunity and go onward to the tube of worthiness! Or if you want, you can climb onto the tube and crawl into a little hidden area behind it to get the last treasure. Then to the tube of worthiness!
K, this tube takes you to your second encounter with the pistons. Crawl carefully, drop down, and continue to avoid them. Now, if you got the key earlier, you can drop down and just go to the door. If not, crawl up to the next switch, which will activate the last suction tube, leading to the disk-room. This switch also reverses the one-way platforms and makes the last piston stop in its starting position, preventing you from taking the short way to the door. Drop down back to where you started and fight the conveyor to get to the last tube that takes you to the rotaty fan blade o' deth. If Baldy's standing on one of the pistons when it comes up, he'll be knocked upwards into the fan. Oooohh, biatch, do the level again! Or he can grab the disk and crawl back out onto the platforms, which are now moving down, and drop down into the exit.

LEVEL COMPRETE!

Done for now.  I'll add some details later (signs, texture etc.) Think I'll have to let Akhel's leafy forestville be next.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 09:31:44 PM by vitaminNewB » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic