Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411496 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 07:01:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Level Design
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Level Design  (Read 98877 times)
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: June 22, 2007, 12:30:03 AM »

Awesome, dude! Shocked

I added it to the first post.
Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 28, 2007, 05:12:03 AM »

This might sound like s stupid question but what are the actual width and height of a BQ screen? Seems like different screens got different sizes.

Here's another screen for the storage area:

You start in the lower left corner and have to jump up on the elevator to use the switch that opens the orange gate and turns on the electric floor above. You then make you way to the ladder above the gate. When you try to use that ladder it falls down through the floor and comes down through the roof on the mirror side of the screen. So you climb the new ladder instead and continue to pull out the card from the energy-apparatus turning off the electric floor. The second lever opens the door to the exit.

At this point I found out about the different aspect ratio of different screens and  added another floor on top of the screen creating a tie-in with the other storage screen. Haven't figured out quite what happens up there yet. Perhaps the screen just need a little empty space so it doesn't feel so claustrophobic.
vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 28, 2007, 08:05:10 PM »

Hey looking verrrrry nice.  Pigbuster too.

BmcC, Arne, Derek came up with  256 X 192 pixels for the dimensions.

GOOD STUFF.

I'll prob get the re-mockup-ed  forest mockup UP in the next week. Sorta kinda got super jumbo gigantic busy with work and stuff this week, urrgg.  Plus it seems like Tim W. is P'd with all these mockups, and wants some action!.    These organic tiles are going to be a pain.
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2007, 07:15:43 AM »

Mmmnyeah, huh, I really screwed that up. I accidentally forgot to change back the size to the larger one from my second level on, so I'll have to adapt them all. I'm really short on time, though, but I'll try to do it ASAP.

Sorry. Embarrassed
vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 15, 2007, 08:02:15 PM »

Guys.  I've been kinda super ULTRA-ULTIMATE-MEGA-MAXIMUM-SUPREME-SUPER-FINAL-FATAL-FLYING-FINISHING-MOVE....... lazy/a little busy. 
Anyhoot.  Big Post.

original block layout

forestville

black background

forestville small

BQ:  Quest of GB
Forestville Level part 1

Sort of Meh about the ground tiles and the web.  A little meh about the background too.  Looking like bunz.  Maybe I've been staring at it toooo long.  I'm thinking there should be some sky, maybe clouds, and a little bit brighter of a scene overall for Akhel's mockup.  And then when GB gets within a deep forest ............. the background could have a deeper forest/jungly feel to it. eh.  EH.  I'm thinking this could finally lead to the temple-o-doom.  So it would pretty much go:  scary -> more scary -> you're dead.

Part 2 will have a little bit more of a challenge to it, a few goals, and it'll start up in the canopy.  It'll also have monkeys all over the place, tucans (maybe), and a giant lizard lips.  I'll post some wip's and blocks.

K.  Level flow.
I made a few tweaks here and there, but nothing huge.  So this level is pretty much open ended, meaning you're just trying to get the disk.  It's not really heavy on goals/events and stuff except for getting the dagger to throw at the snakes.  And I'm not sure if  you should be able to kill the spiders on the web or not.  Maybe they can just be unavoidable NPC's.  Meaning that you have to basically go around them to get to where you're going.  Also I'm not sure if the squirrels are deadly or just running around all over the place in the background.  The quick sand is deadly  and I was thinking that maybe the water can restore your health if you splash some on GB's flowing locks.  That'd be great.  Other than that, the door wouldn't appear until GB reaches the disk.  I can't think of any thing else to add or change though.

That's it for now. wheeww.. More 2 come... 
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2007, 08:15:19 PM »

Shocked

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: July 15, 2007, 08:55:28 PM »

Damn, but that's nice.

sega
Genesis
Level 2

I superdig

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: July 16, 2007, 01:14:47 AM »

Yes, great work.  I didn't expect to see something so organic looking in Balding's Quest.

Robotacon
Pixelhead
Level 3

Story mode

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2007, 04:19:01 AM »

Every room in BQ has a starting point and an exit and are designed to work only one way. Does that mean that BQ will be linear? The map implies otherwise.

Perhaps we can throw something in there so that you have a linear path through the game and alternative exits that go back to adjacent rooms you already have visited. That way you can return and pick up stuff that you've missed. Perhaps you need certain items to enter boss-fights for instance.

vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2007, 06:25:20 AM »

HEH heh heh.  Thanks a lot guys.  Making it organic was a huge pain (No lie) until I started seeing that the tiles didn't have to be perfect.  I'm actually starting to like organic tiles better for some weird reason.  Huh?

@robotacon:  Hmmm...That's a Verrryyy good point.  So here are my thoughts because I can't remember if if BMcC, Derek , Arne and everyone even thought about this.  The game's supposed to be non-linear.  So I'm thinking that once a room is finished the door stays open.  If you finish the lab, for example, maybe the levels in the top, down, left, and right areas open up on the main map.  Then you can pick the one that you want to go to next.  Or maybe the rooms can have multiple exits.  Wait....It looks like from the map that the white lines between the levels could be the options that you have from the lab and the brown lines are closed.  But I'm not sure if that would make the game more interesting or not.  I DON'T KNOW.  I think this is something that needs to be figured out so we don't have to redesign every frikin' level.  Cool
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2007, 07:58:47 AM »

Shocked

Shocked

Now I'm totally doing more. That's just fucking awesome.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2007, 09:19:04 AM by Akhel » Logged
Zaphos
« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2007, 09:22:33 AM »

Every room in BQ has a starting point and an exit and are designed to work only one way. Does that mean that BQ will be linear? The map implies otherwise.

The design doc says this:
It can be frustrating to get stuck on a screen, so alternative paths between the levels would be good. To make this possible I came up with a simple 2D map structure. Most screens are connected to several other ones, and as you complete a screen, the connected ones become available for play. To complete a screen you just need to get to a certain spot, like an exit door. Note that you don't move between the screens, you can pick anyone that's available. The goal of the game is to complete the four key screens (and get the keys) so the boss screens become available. If you lose all lives... maybe a completed screen (except the first) becomes uncompleted, so completed screens are like continues or lives.
http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/platform/platform2.htm
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: July 17, 2007, 01:19:18 PM »

* Bezzy dies

totally beautiful, vitb! Amazing!

vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 17, 2007, 05:48:20 PM »

@Bezzy:  Shocked
's Thread.
One pat on the back.
Alec Hurricane Spin kicks.
Hits everyone in the bunz.

@Akhel:  Shocked  YES!  Make 'em  goooood.

@Zaphos:  Thanks a lot man.  It must have been too early when I posted that.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2007, 05:52:04 PM by vitaminNewB » Logged
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: July 17, 2007, 06:44:45 PM »

's Thread.
One pat on the back.
Alec Hurricane Spin kicks.
Hits everyone in the bunz.

I love buns.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2007, 05:25:33 PM »

Yeah, Vitamin, that is amazing.  I wants to plays it rights now!!! Shocked

Brandon's been busy traveling around, but he swore on John Connor's futuregrave that he'd be back for good on Monday.  And Brandon doesn't sweat on John Connor's futuregrave unless he's serious.
Zaphos
« Reply #136 on: July 18, 2007, 10:34:50 PM »

And Brandon doesn't sweat on John Connor's futuregrave unless he's serious.
Lies.  I've seen John Connor's futuregrave, and let me tell you, he sweats on that thing all the time.  It is filled with Brandon's sweat.
Really.  It smells terrible.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: July 18, 2007, 10:45:55 PM »

Lies.  I've seen John Connor's futuregrave, and let me tell you, he sweats on that thing all the time.  It is filled with Brandon's sweat.

Shocked ... :D
vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 19, 2007, 05:52:15 AM »

Shocked ... :D

Shocked
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 20, 2007, 09:21:14 AM »

Here's another inversed gravity level, designed especially to twist the player's soul and torture our poor coder, the BMcMan!

Orange and light orange are moving platforms which travel, respectively, through the dark gray and light gray paths. The "medium gray" indicates overlapping light and dark paths.

The enemy flies freely and doesn't directly kills Balding: upon touch, our unfortunate hero is pushed maybe two tiles away, probably killing him because of the fall.

There is vertical warping for the platforms and the player, but not for the enemy.

The idea is very simple: use the moving platforms to activate all three computers. When all three are active, the gravity is immediately inversed (leading the player to a crushing death if he activated the topmost computer last), making the disk fall to sweet reachability. Smiley

This level will need testing and tweaking to properly adjust the platforms' speed and initial direction so they don't overlap and the level is completable.

In case you're wondering, that platform on the left moves elliptically. Tongue

Edit.: Did I mention this one is properly sized? HUH? CAN YOU BEAT THAT, OLD LEVELS? BET YOU CAN'T! Grin
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic