Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:11:24 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Level Design
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Level Design  (Read 95590 times)
Joriz::
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 22, 2007, 02:02:14 PM »

So is there gonna be a level editor? I mean these levels look all great and all but wouldn't it make more sense to playtest them before drawing the graphics?
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: July 24, 2007, 11:56:03 AM »

Brandon's been busy traveling around, but he swore on John Connor's futuregrave that he'd be back for good on Monday.

Haha, yes yes, I did say that.  And here I am!  Back... for reals.  Cool

Vitamin:  Your pixel work on that forest stage looks mind-numbingly gorgeous.  Really fantastic.  High five!

So is there gonna be a level editor?

Ab-so-lutely!  I'm workin' on it right now.  Wink
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 12:04:59 PM by BMcC » Logged

vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 25, 2007, 06:47:28 AM »

Shocked
BMcC......

\ o /

o/ \o

1 pat on the back.

Should have a forestville WIP or two posted up soon.....
Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 29, 2007, 02:08:52 PM »

Here's yet another new, properly sized level... featuring a BALDING-SHAPED DEATH CHAMBER!

This is a quite hard level, featuring three-tile wide jumps, several traps, a few chances to be crushed against the ceiling, and lots of hatred and nachos (not really). This would probably be a bonus or boss level because of the bizarre layout and high difficulty.

Level elements:

The numbered platforms are initially deactivated; the player has to activate them using the respective numbered switches (which could be levers or buttons or computers or whatever else).

The elevator acts like a moving platform, except it is only activated when Balding step on it and its movement does not loop (it goes up, down and stops until it is triggered again).

The enemy moves horizontally, is fast and randomly changes the direction of his movement. I don't know what it is. Undecided

Goo probably isn't Bezzy's game and isn't necessarily goo - it indicates one type of tile which ignores falling damage, so Balding can fall as high as he wants and not die if landing on it.

When our bald hero steps on one of the Crumbling Floor Tiles©, which are areas where the floor has cracked, he inevitably falls to his death - the tile immediately breaks, not giving any chance for Balding to hold onto a ledge or jump away.

The shooting blades tile is a device that shoots blades ( Shocked ) every two seconds or so. Needless to say, the blades kill the character instantly, as do the circular saws.

Expected level flow:

The player first heads (no pun intended) to the key in the head's right eye, evading the shooting blades. Then, he executes a three-tile wide jump to land on the goo, so he can reach and activate the first switch. The first platform starts moving (horizontally). He goes all the way back to the crumbling floor, jumps over it and uses the vertically-moving platform to reach the recently activated platform, which is then used to activate the second switch.

Going down is now quite tricky, as there is an abyss right below. For the player not to die, he has to grab on the ledge of the first platform and jump down*, carefully watching for the enemy.

Then he heads for the second key, crouching when using the moving platform above the door so he does not fall in the circular saws. Another three-tile wide jump gets him past the upper saws, and he grabs the key (again watching for the blades).

He opens the first door, grabs the disk, goes back to the other door, opens it and exits.

* I wasn't completely sure about the maximum falling height, so it may be necessary to put this platform one tile up so the player has to grab on the ledge before falling not to be crushed.

So, what you think? Smiley
vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 30, 2007, 06:55:09 PM »

\ o /
o /\ o
Akhel == Haw-WUT

I'm loving the idea of a GB head shaped level.  I would have never in a billion years....  Really like the Goo idea too.  It'd be neat to have a level with Goo pools worked in somehow.  hmmm... not sure about that though.  Other than that, looking Great.  I'm thinking that the enemy at the bottom could be some sort of flying droid,  or a flying bunny.    Shocked Lips Sealed

Keep it up!

I'll stop being lazy/busy/lazy and bust out some pixels.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic