Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:11:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Level Design
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Level Design  (Read 98908 times)
Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2007, 03:55:31 PM »

I saw the first one and thought "We're going to need a faster crawl speed!", but you've opened it up nicely already. Well done, sir!

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2007, 04:09:39 PM »

Noice, Akhel! Good job heightening on it while keeping the flow. Wink

Some sloppy ideas for the lawn level. I'm really liking the Idea of the lawn level. Kiss
Okay, so there're the doggies. You start in the house or whatever. If you jump on top of the doggy he'll be stunned for a sec maybe, letting you past, but when he comes to he'll go on a rampage for a couple seconds before calming down. If it's raining he won't be around (in his doghouse). The telephone pole looks like it's in the foreground, but it really isn't. Maybe there are kids in the treehouse who shoot at balding with waterguns or toss water-balloons...? K, so then you get to a big tree that you can climb. I don't like the depiction I have here, but there are actually two trees, and you go through the first one and climb between them. The other tree makes up the left border. Then, once you get to the top, there's a kind of maze in the leaves and branches of both trees. There's stuff in there. Watch out for squirrels! You can climb on top of the telephone pole, but that ain't reccommended during a rainstorm. Then you can get down onto the treehouse, where there's some more stuff. You can also jump across those platforms suspended from the telephone wire, but, again, not reccommended in the rain. They lead to something. 'Ventually, you'll open the door that leads to the exit in the tree.

...Honestly I have no Idea. I think I should have just left this one alone.

Edit: I didn't think it was worth a new post; just a cleaned up version.

Ignore the siding on the house. That were a failed experiment.
Also: I cannot (read: it's impossible) come close to replicating Arne's style. It's beyond my physical and mental capacity. The gap is too wide.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 10:19:51 PM by Xion » Logged

Godspeed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2007, 05:45:39 PM »

I love the idea of having a giant tree to climb in. As for the electric lines is it plausible to have them sag under his weight?
vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2007, 06:20:03 PM »

Cool stuff

Akhel:  Very well thought out!  Even though it's abstract for now, I'm feeling it.

Xion:  What?! Huh?  Looks good to me.
Man that front lawn level looks pretty dang fun!  I like the idea of having weather affect things.  I like the tan dog, but it doesn't look mean.  I like the idea of the brown dog waking up, getting mad, and going crazy for a few secs too.

Godspeed:  Sagging electric lines would be neat.

Few more random weird ideas.

A3: Forest and House Lawn
Graphics: ...
Enemies: dog, lawnmower, cannibal flower, diving birds, walking shrubs, grouchy neighbor(throws the mornin' paper at you.  He should be pacing back and forth, and when he spots you he'll hurl one at Guy's head)
Traps: pollen, anthill, doggy doodoo
Items: ...
Mechanics:periodic weather changes(?) (like, when it rains, the dog goes to his doghouse, but [giant] worms come out.), water sprinkler, dandelion seeds (the white things that float in the wind) he can grab onto them and float

B5: Laboratory
Graphics: beakers, bubbly liquids
Enemies: mutants, guinea  pigs in lab coats, hamsters in balls
Traps: ...
Mechanics: Night vision mode, glow mode(he drinks the juice from a glow stick),  Teleportation Pads, Maybe he has to put together simple fake/real chemical equations  (h2o) to solve puzzles.

C1: Ice
Graphics: falling snowflakes
Enemies: yeti, coyote/wolf, snow ball machines, or enemy that spits out snow balls
Traps: fishing holes, falling icicles, cold wind(turns him into an ice cube)
Mechanics: slippery surfaces,  sliding ice cubes

..and a little Idea for a Forest Level character dude

mushroomHeadLeafWingMan(please don't ask)   Huh?

« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 06:22:47 PM by vitaminNewB » Logged
Zaphos
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2007, 07:39:47 PM »

For one of the Forest or Temple-ish areas, we could have a little guy who is "playing" the level music.  When the music stops, the level is filled with inanimate plants and objects, but when it starts again, all the objects come to life.  When you kill the little guy, the level has no more music or life, and so feels desolate.

Oo, there could be multiple of these guys you need to kill to progress through the level, and every time you kill one the music changes to a more "angry" version of the same song (with one less instrument).
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2007, 10:31:09 PM »

Ah, what the heck:

Ignore the siding on the house. That were a failed experiment.
Also: I cannot (read: it's impossible) come close to replicating Arne's style. It's beyond my physical and mental capacity. The gap is too wide.

Okay, so once you get into the tree, you climb up the first few platforms 'till you get to some rotating logs that you have to quickly jump on to get up to a vine and pull yourself up. Then you come to this patrolling squirrel who'll push you all the way back to the bottom of the tree if you get hit by him. So you have to hurry up and jump into one of those spaces above where you'll dangle as if between two ledges, but unable to pull yourself up. Then repeat into the next one when the squirrel runs back the other way, and finally to the end of the corridor. There should be a ladder there. I guess I forgot it. Ok, so jump up, then you come to a room with maybe 2 or 3 squirrels in it. This could be like a mini-boss where, when you enter the room, the squirrels dive into the tree's foliage and pop up every once in a while to dash at you and hit you. Jump and hang onto the cieling and wait for the squirrels to poke their heads out to look for you, then drop down on them and bam!, they're out for the count. Do this to each squirrel, each time they get faster. Then that door will open and -- ok, I forgot to add the way out, but it drops you onto the telephone pole, and that's as far as I got.

Maybe you can cieling-shimmy across the telephone wire, too?

Now that I think about it, I don't think the squirrel mini-battle would fit well in this game...but hey, not my call. Just thought it'd be cool.

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2007, 12:22:34 AM »

Nice!

ptoing
Pixelhead
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2007, 12:46:08 AM »

This is so nice, I think when I get a bit more time I MUST have to do some gfx for this  Kiss

eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2007, 03:22:11 PM »

I'm sorry to say that I don't get the tree house thing.

I might have missed something, but the game obviously takes place underground (or inside a tower/HQ/complex or something)... so how come there are blue skies all of a sudden?

Also, to be honest, the graphics doesn't come anywhere near the style of any of the previous mock-ups.  Sad

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2007, 03:40:37 PM »

I might have missed something, but the game obviously takes place underground (or inside a tower/HQ/complex or something)... so how come there are blue skies all of a sudden?
Not obviously, since there's a lawn and forest level. Plus, since they're both at the top of the map there's no inconsistency by having some other level above. All the other levels look like they'd be underground, but since when do games have to make sense? Huh?
j/k. (but really...)

Also, to be honest, the graphics doesn't come anywhere near the style of any of the previous mock-ups.  Sad
I already admitted that: I suck ass. Cry

ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2007, 07:16:46 PM »

Looking totally awesome.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2007, 08:34:20 PM »

Very nice, Xion!  It's the top layer, so there can be sky.  Why the hell not?  Also, you don't suck ass.  Don't ever, ever say that again.  And if anyone else says so, they're insta-banned.  The level is looking great!  Keep it up.  We can do touch-up on graphics later to make them more consistent.
eobet
Level 4

8-bit childhood

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2007, 07:39:51 AM »

I already admitted that: I suck ass. Cry

I didn't say it sucked, it's just a totally different style. It's a lot more shaded and low-contrast. Different.

Also, the whole level reminds me of the old Conan: Hall of Volta game for the Atari 8-bit machines (I bet it was availible on Commodore 64 too) and that's a kick-ass game.

Hmm... now that I think of it, the mock-ups from Arne reminds me a lot of The Goonies game the Atari/C64 (even in the artwork).

For those of you involved in this game, I would recommend you to try them. They're years before Rick Dangerous (but contemporary to Impossible Mission, I believe) but contain a lot more interesting and involved puzzles.

EDIT: Screenshots from Goonies and Conan...

« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 07:47:43 AM by eobet » Logged

Akhel
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2007, 07:44:57 AM »

Looks very fun indeed, Xion! Now, looking at this, I think I overcrowded my level attempt. Tongue
Zaphos
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2007, 07:46:24 AM »

Can Guy Balding walk on arbitrarily sloped inclines?  For the house level it would be neat if he could walk on stairs and also perhaps on the roof ...
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2007, 12:11:35 PM »

@eobet: Much, much more constructive post than the one before... thank you!  Being critical is good - the game has to be as good as it can be.  On the other hand, I want to hear proactive commentary that offers solutions with criticism.  And takes into account the work people have put into it.

Xion, I may have a crack at editing your level and coming up with some ideas.  Is that alright?  When I get some free time. Smiley
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2007, 12:31:07 PM »

Xion, I may have a crack at editing your level and coming up with some ideas.  Is that alright?  When I get some free time. Smiley
Of course.

That looks really cool.

Also, you don't suck ass.  Don't ever, ever say that again.  And if anyone else says so, they're insta-banned.
Lol, I don't really think I suck. I just have to keep my ego in check sometimes.  Wink

Madgarden
Level 1

C=

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 25, 2007, 04:00:16 PM »

Ruth... Ruth... Baby Ruth!

Hey you guuuuuuys!
Inane
TIGSource Editor
Level 10

Arsenic for the Art Forum

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 25, 2007, 11:04:28 PM »

Simple 2bit concept for the temple Wink.

Pretty much, you start at at the bottom right, jump up two platforms, and if you continue climbing you get burninated by the fire head breather dude. Jump onto the platforms on the right and continue ascending, and you hit a dart trap that you need to jump over, then you proceed to climb up the vine, and jump onto the nearby platform where you then get your ass crushed by the thingy that goes up, or you jump on time and hit the side of the temple, and continue climbing until you get the statue, which opens up a door at the bottom of the temple.

Sorry for not making an uber concept, but you know, I'm not really putting much time into it, as I have tons of other obligations I -should- be fulfilling. Smiley

Edit: Also, may I recommend making the key level beneath the temple be the interior?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 11:07:44 PM by Inane » Logged

real art looks like the mona lisa or a halo poster and is about being old or having your wife die and sometimes the level goes in reverse
lowpoly
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2007, 02:39:10 PM »

that's a pretty cool layout, it just needs a giant ball to chase you down at the end Smiley

Adding on to your idea, when you reach the statue at the top possibly the cavern begins to crumble apart and your path down is altered by giant blocks of stone. Would throw a little variation into the level and make you come up with a new path. Is that even possible within the game engine tho or is everything static?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic