Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 04:33:11 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] whale of noise [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] whale of noise [FINISHED]  (Read 22294 times)
Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2010, 12:12:43 AM »

Very cool, grats on the indiegames.com feature.  Also, that was fast.   Hand Clap Cool

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2010, 12:23:48 AM »

I could somehow totally see you doing this one.=)

Really cool concept with awesome touches (particle whale and singing mechanism FTW) and, as others said, lightning fast. Congrats!=)

increpare
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2010, 12:37:47 AM »

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Wow, that was really cool, actually. Nothing like the box art, though.
There's a whale (a whale made of noisy particles), and it makes noises (reasonably granular noises).  Let me quote from the guidelines:

Use the cart primarily as a source of inspiration. You do not need to tie yourself to any elements of the cart (like title, art style or any descriptions), and are in fact encouraged to take it in an original path.
Arucard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2010, 02:11:24 AM »

Pretty interesting, I also thought the shapes could be worked out a little more. Or maybe a couple places making you switch between different notes directly in a single passage. But has a good atmospheric feel, and sound.
Hangedman
Level 10

Two milkmen go comedy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2010, 03:30:09 AM »

Enough about the 'not looking like the cart', people.

Sound works now. Very cool stuff! Although I didn't realize you could get 'killed' until I tried to hurry through it and kept getting kicked back to checkpoints.

AUST
ITIAMOSIWE (Play it on NG!) - Vision
There but for the grace of unfathomably complex math go I
increpare
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2010, 03:36:22 AM »

Sound works now. Very cool stuff! Although I didn't realize you could get 'killed' until I tried to hurry through it and kept getting kicked back to checkpoints.
I had to introduce dying to get around some of the dodgier collision issues (to stop people flying through stuff).
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2010, 05:19:29 AM »

Nice and quick job! Creative interpretation of the box art!

It lacked surprise factor though, after the third upgrade I knew that all upgrades would just be increased distances, more variety of singing forms would have pushed it another dimension. Also, the collision bugs quite a bit with frequent false positives.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2010, 05:46:07 AM »

great short game - and not at all what I was expecting after seeing the screenshots (not boxart, as boxes in the 80s rarely looked like the actual games anyway) in a totally good way Smiley

Tacocat
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2010, 06:39:45 AM »

It's not challenging, the art isn't very good, it's short..just really nothing much to say about this other than that it is a dull and completely forgettable game
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2010, 08:11:40 AM »

God what a trip.

Wonder if I can get my body to pass through walls while I'm singing too.

Time to start practicing.
azraelee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »

wow man, beautiful, absolutely amazing Kiss Kiss

Zaratustra
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2010, 09:44:26 AM »

was kinda hoping each noise would make me a different shape and I'd combine noises and become even more different shapes and oh well.

increpare
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2010, 09:57:18 AM »

It's not challenging, the art isn't very good, it's short..just really nothing much to say about this other than that it is a dull and completely forgettable game
Hey man - thanks for your comments.  Do you have any particular suggestions as to what directions are worth exploring (in terms of art style, say)?
Tacocat
BANNED
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2010, 11:06:00 AM »

Hey man - thanks for your comments.  Do you have any particular suggestions as to what directions are worth exploring (in terms of art style, say)?
I'm thinking about it and no I don't really have any suggestions. This game is kind of like that child's toy where there is a circle shaped hole and the kid has to put the circle in the circle hole and the square in the square hole. Except instead of different shapes it is like if there was just different sized versions of the same shape. I'd recommend putting in different forms to morph into but that still wouldn't be challenging really. I dunno. I don't see this idea really bearing any interesting fruits
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2010, 01:10:34 PM »

Increpare has earned the title of The Speedster for being the first to complete and post his game in the completed games thread.

Hand Clap Hand Shake Right Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Shake Right Hand Shake Right Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Shake Left Hand Shake Right Hand Clap Hand Shake Left

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2010, 02:43:19 PM »

I think this game would start to be difficult if after getting out of the cave it sent you to an infinitely scrolling world where you had to morph to fit through different holes quickly.

hi
increpare
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2010, 02:47:06 PM »

I think this game would start to be difficult if after getting out of the cave it sent you to an infinitely scrolling world where you had to morph to fit through different holes quickly.
Ah, I hadn't thought of that.  That would probably be the smoothest option, I think, yes. (Well I guess any sort of chase sequence could work).
Bandages
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2010, 03:14:18 PM »

Very simple, very relaxing.

Not really that compelling, though, and I didn't quite feel attached to the game whatsoever. If I hadn't known it was short from the other comments, I probably would have stopped playing after getting to song 5. Perhaps a bit more challenge would have made it stand out more, but as it is, it's just a quick zen game.
guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2010, 03:32:14 PM »

Nice atmosphere and sound.  Gentleman kinda creepy (in a good way). Congrats on finishing so fast (in a good way).  Who, Me?

LiquidAsh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2010, 03:50:37 PM »

Nice entry.  I agree with the others about it feeling like this could go further in terms of either more challening combinations or sequences of sounds, or in developing the music that the player creates (possibly mixed with additional sounds from other entities in the environment).

Kudos for quickly rendering this novel idea into a playable game.  I found it captivating.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic