Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58437 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 03:51:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingFireplace (v0.5.5) PC/Mac
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Fireplace (v0.5.5) PC/Mac  (Read 18296 times)
Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2010, 01:58:37 PM »

It's a big-pixeled fireplace that you interact with by typing words. You can add up to 3 logs that burn down to coals, roast a marshmallow, eat smores, light fireworks, etc.  General feedback would also be awesome. Thanks.

Beer!

(it's free)
Download it here (Version - v0.5.5 PC/Mac)

- - - - - - - -
Changelog (hehe):
   v0.5.5 - Added: now runs on OS X! Visible text, title screen letters light up.
   v0.5.3 - Added: hotdog, led(aka litebrite), red, blue, green, purple, black, and white
   v0.5.1 - Added: "foreverlog"
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 06:10:39 AM by Ted Martens » Logged

siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2010, 04:27:26 PM »

Oh my, I do like this. Would you mind adding a log that doesn't run out? I'd like to have this on as background stuff and don't want to refill after an hour or so. Wonderful idea and generally just very nice.
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2010, 04:35:01 PM »

That was so pleasant. I could almost smell that smoky burnt-wood smell... now I want to go have a campout.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2010, 04:48:24 PM »

This is indeed awesome. Especially liked the water dousing effect.
Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2010, 06:04:49 PM »

Thanks, guys.  I'm glad you like it  Grin

@siiseli Oh yeah! I had that in at one point, but took it out and can't remember why. Good call, I'll put that back in.

AlbeyAmakiir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 11:26:25 PM »

First thing: I thought the title said "Fireplace. Type to start." and I couldn't get it to work. Took me a while before I realised that, in spite of the different text, it was all one sentence.

I typed in "bread" but I didn't get any. Oh well. It would have burnt anyway, because you're supposed to wait until there's only embers. "Pot"? "Kettle"? No. Maybe not specific enough. "Soup"? "Tea"? "Spud in foil"? "Damper"? Oh well.

The only way I could get rid of a burnt marshmallow was to "Eat" it. Also, I have to say that, no matter how much you want it to be, marshmallows are not "Food". Tongue

How about less food-related ideas...

I can "blow" the fire or blow out my marshmallow. Nice. I can't "stoke" the fire, but I can "poke" it. "Wind" and "rain" make sense that I can't do them, but I'd like to see the effects. I don't have a "banjo", so I decided to see if the game did. Nope, but I think that's a good thing. Tongue

Ha! I just realised that I forgot this was supposed to be an indoor fire. Roll Eyes

J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2010, 11:32:59 PM »

I love it!

hi
D Robert Duke
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2010, 12:34:04 AM »

Saw this at the TIGJam, it was keeping a room warm.  Nice concept, the sound adds a lot.  Ideas for other actions:

Throw leaves on the fire to make smoke
Fry some bacon in a pan
jwaap
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2010, 12:38:35 AM »

I'm sorry ted but its morning and already 28 degrees celsius here, I'm not playing this till december.

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2010, 02:26:27 AM »

It isn't really the time nor place here at the moment (nearly the middle of a hot summer day), but I really like what you've done nonetheless.

Batmanifestdestiny
Level 1

When life gives you lemons, make an internet craze

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2010, 01:39:24 PM »

even though it's July and I don't live in Australia, this really made me want to pull on a sweater.  This is so cool!

I especially enjoyed cooking a marshmallow and fireworks at the same time, and then burning my marshmallow and eating it in a smore.

I gotta say, though, a couple commands that I'd like to see are:

"bacon"
"bottlerockets"
"paper"
"baby"
"littlegirl"
and, in honor of tigsource:
"cavestoryripoff" - since this game has wood, making it a cave story ripoff.

"Sweet Sacajewea, Batmanifestdestiny!  We've struck GOLD!" -Joseph, Utah Wonder

You have to plagierize the Italian.
Evan Balster
Level 10

I live in this head.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2010, 08:31:38 PM »

Good work, sir Ted.  This would be great as a public installation.  Get an ancient keyboard and monitor, waterproof them, stick them in a cubbyhole somewhere, enjoy!

Creativity births expression.  Curiosity births exploration.
Our work is as soil to these seeds; our art is what grows from them...

Wreath, SoundSelf, Infinite Blank, Cave Story+, <plaid/audio>
Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2010, 10:43:42 PM »

Oh wow a bunch of replies, since I was last online!  Thanks for all the feedback, everyone:

@AlbeyAmakiir
Good suggestion, I had a few other people read it as "type to start" so I made the text the same color as 'Fireplace'.  We'll see if that helps.  When you think of "stoke" do you think of adding more wood or poking it/blowing on it/rustling it? Or all of the above? I'm getting different answers for stoking a fire.

@D Robert Duke
I doooo love me some bacon

@jwaap
I knew it was the worst time of year to release it, but the indiecade deadline is finally over and also I'd like to see if I can get it cool enough to submit it to the IGF

@greekdude247
I am a pyro too and this is the result of my fascination with fire. I'm working on "gasoline" Wink

@Batmanifestdestiny
that's 2 for bacon Smiley  I like bottlerockets.  "Paper" is actually in, that should have worked but try newspaper.  Hahah actually not the first time I've gotten "baby".

@Captain Papercut (Evan)
Yes, I would be alllll about a guerrilla installation someplace.

Added more to the TO DO list thanks!

Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2010, 12:57:55 AM »

I added a log that will never burn out. type "foreverlog" when the fire is lit.

AlbeyAmakiir
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2010, 04:39:35 AM »

Ah, I see "stoke" means more than I thought. I was thinking something like poking it, but closer to moving logs around (turning over?), so "rustling" may be closer to what I wanted.

siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2010, 10:28:18 AM »

Oh my god the konami code. I lol'd.
Swattkidd
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2010, 11:50:15 AM »

I just want to say this is awesome! I usually dont like any of those things that are supposed to help you sleep (nature sounds, color lights or w.e the hell they have) but I actually put this on and fell asleep to it lol, good job man!   Hand Shake Left Ninja Hand Shake Right
Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2010, 03:41:57 PM »

I added some new commands (v.o.5.3):
"hotdog"
led (aka litebrite)
"red"
"blue"
"green"
"purple"
"black"
"white"

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I made "stoke" do the same thing as "poke" for now. It would be nice if it rustled the logs, but that will be tougher.

@siiseli You are officially the first person to find the Konami code!  Hand Clap Well, hello there!

@Swattkidd That was a big reason why I made it.  I fall asleep to it all the time. I do realize I released it at the exact wrong time of the year, but oh well. It should be finished up and 1.0'ed by winter time for maximum cozyness.

AndroidScholar1
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 03:02:36 AM »

This is why I need a desk - so I can get a big screen computer that runs this throughout the night.

I officially love you, savethedinosaurs.

There's only one problem that I can think of at the moment, and that sort of comes with every "type anything" game, and that is that people will often try to write stuff that's not in there at the moment. I'm sure with future updates you'll expand the available options, but for now I think the current vocabulary is satisfactory Smiley

And I agree that a banjo would be the best thing to add next.
Ted
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2010, 03:05:51 PM »

Super late response:  thanks a ton!  I've put the updates on hold until winter when it will be much more cozy.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic