Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:29:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Guitarguy Rocks Out [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Guitarguy Rocks Out [FINISHED]  (Read 19202 times)
David Pittman
Level 2

MAEK GAEM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2010, 10:34:43 AM »

I had 9 lives when I got to the 3rd boss but he demolished me Sad How far did I have left to go?

He's the final boss, which is why I only feel a little bad about making that room so freaking difficult.

I'm glad you enjoyed it more the second time through, anyway.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 11:58:54 AM »

Holy balls is this hard. But satisfying. And the chiptune rock music is genius.

Also, what kind of cursed rock technique must I learn to make this goddamn jump:

« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:01:55 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
David Pittman
Level 2

MAEK GAEM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 12:30:11 PM »

Also, what kind of cursed rock technique must I learn to make this goddamn jump:

Hold X to run? Shrug

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2010, 12:34:28 PM »

Facepalm
FacepalmCrazyFacepalm
    Facepalm

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 01:26:37 PM »

This was really fun, I liked how the whole guitar theme was used in, both, sounds and graphics, although some more diabolical monsters heavy metal style would have been even cooler.

It's hard and frustrating due the stiff jumping. Also it feels pretty unfair to not be able to do anything against the sparks the boss throws at you. Especially in that 3rd room.  Huh?

It reminds me of those old MS-DOS games published by Apogee and stuff. Good times.  Beer!

deathtotheweird
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 02:21:26 PM »

this game hasnt gotten the recognition it deserves. It really is the best use of the cart I think. Real good nes feeling gameplay and sounds to it

very good stuff Hand Thumbs Up Left

(also, scanlines should be on by default.)
moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 05:09:27 PM »

During the competition I had to put a moratorium on playing this game. The sound is so, so satisfying.

|
JamesGecko
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 03:48:56 PM »

HATE the second boss. I was right next to the last set of spikes on my last life. The boss ground pounded, stunning my guy. The stunning caused me to clip the spikes by a single pixel. EPIC RAGE.

Edit: Freaking stupid short range rocking out. Freaking stupid red skeletons that move fast and can't be killed if you rock out. Freaking ghosts that can't be killed. All these freaking stupid tropes from NES games where you've got no way of knowing that you'll die until you die. So many rage quits! But I beat it. Nice game.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 04:09:03 PM by JamesGecko » Logged
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2010, 06:55:48 PM »

I say this with as much endearment as possible, but this reminds me of the old Shockwave games of the early 00's. The game has an indelible charm to it; the level designs are fairly solid and the graphics are tubular. The jumping physics could be improved, but then again that's what reminded me of those old games I played on my Netscape browser. And the sound:  Hand Metal Right

handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2010, 09:03:28 AM »

This game is awesome. I died on the third level boss, that guy is tough to beat. I love how you can kill the bosses by rocking out so hard, even on an air guitar!  Wizard Hand Metal Right

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2010, 04:44:56 AM »

I love the graphics for this one, and the sound is pretty good too, but the controls are horrendous for me. In the end I gave up trying to collect any guitars, picks, or tapes as attempting the jumps would always kill me. Then I gave up altogether on the second level as I found it far to frustrating. Judging by other people's comments though it looks like I might just be rubbish at the game.

David Pittman
Level 2

MAEK GAEM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2010, 09:10:18 AM »

I love the graphics for this one, and the sound is pretty good too, but the controls are horrendous for me. In the end I gave up trying to collect any guitars, picks, or tapes as attempting the jumps would always kill me. Then I gave up altogether on the second level as I found it far to frustrating. Judging by other people's comments though it looks like I might just be rubbish at the game.

I doubt you're just rubbish at the game; the jumping physics and controls have definitely been divisive. For what it's worth, I think it's probably easier to play with a gamepad; but it's also a game which I wanted to make as difficult as possible without being unfair. My metric was that it should be possible for a skilled player to run the game in one life, so anything so difficult or random that it could not be overcome with practice was cut. (The one exception is the final boss, because hey, it's the final boss. It should be difficult for even the most skilled player.)

I tend to prefer Super Mario Bros. style platformer controls (Guitarguy is secretly an homage to Mario--the "flagpole" jump in the third level being the most explicit indicator as such). It seems that many indie platformers prefer inertia-free motion, which allows for more precise jumps but makes the character feel massless. Likewise, the weightier feel of Guitarguy isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2010, 07:42:32 PM »

Guitarguy Rocks Out has won the Phat Beats badge for being one of the winners of the Best Audio poll. Congratulations.

Hand Clap Hand Shake Right Hand Shake Right Hand Clap Hand Shake Left Hand Clap Hand Shake Right Hand Shake Left Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Shake Left

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic