Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 05:40:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] BOOM BOX (FINISHED-ISH)
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] BOOM BOX (FINISHED-ISH)  (Read 15291 times)
Poopy McPants
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2010, 08:59:52 AM »

fucking rad music. my only qualm is the lack of an endgame (possibly an awesome party to go to?) and that the white/grey tape is a little annoying....
damien
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2010, 08:50:26 AM »

Well, I"m calling the game finished for the compo, anyhow. There is still sort of a lack on endgame. I mean, something happens when you get the last tape now, which I hope feels good. Beyond that, I'm just hoping people enjoy playing around with the music enough to keep doing it for a little while. But, I also want a way to end the tune with finality and head back to the title screen or whatever.

Chris Z
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2010, 11:34:24 PM »

Dope.

JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 06:10:39 PM »

really enjoyed the game. Shame there is no ending.

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 07:04:04 AM »

This was really good fun. I liked the boom box heads and their funky moves. I suppose if I'm being picky it's a little short and lacking in depth. The lack of a proper ending was a little disappointing, but it's enjoyable all the same. Hand Thumbs Up Left Smiley

VinceTwelve
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 09:51:26 AM »

Just played this one.  I echo everything Oddball said and add that I liked the music at the end.  But I've got to try not to get too funky in my cubicle while I'm supposed to be working.  Ninja

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 08:12:55 PM »

Like before, the music is totally awesome, and the graphics have some charm, even though they're somewhat rough in places. The lifts were a bit finicky, but at least I'm not walking in midair anymore. Tongue Overall a nice little experience for as long as it lasts.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
belbeeno
Level 1

video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 11:08:42 PM »

There wasn't much challenge to playing this game, but I will say the game got my head bobbing to the music towards the end.

@belbeeno - website
Buy my dang game, Factory Hiro!
gingerbeardman
Level 0

#agbic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 03:29:01 PM »

Nice concept, would like to have seen a bit more game in there, though.

Cool idea.

Daily Driver for Playdate https://www.patreon.com/dailydriver
d3sphil
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 08:14:26 PM »

Yo, this game is sick wicked mad dope fresh and cool. =)
True, not much gameplay going on, but just messing around with those tracks is just sooo much fun.
They are great and i'm seriously spending like an hour just mixing my music up.
I'm not very creative, but if more gameplay could be integrated with mixing it would be great.

Just an idea, maybe a game like this:
You are the DJ at a club or ultra-lounge and you have to mix up some sweet tracks.
People are coming and going throughout the night and want to be entertained by various stuff.
So you have to keep mixing to make the people happy. THen you could even have DJ battles or celebs come to the club and want some really sick tunes. I don't know. That sounds like it wouldn't work and yet would be so cool. Sorry, I just felt like typing.
Pierrec
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2010, 11:35:46 AM »

Woaw! Great game!
It makes me think of Toejam and Earl (for the sound and ambiance).

I wrote a litle review in french if you're interested by a short feedback : http://oujevipo.fr/10-minutes/boombox

QuaziGNRLnose
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2010, 07:50:44 PM »

cant get it working, when i try to unzip it i get a message that a problem is preventing the folder from being encrypted, and even though i can see all the files, when i run the app nothing happens. i cant even delete the folder now because it says a program is using it, but well, task manager doesnt seem to think so
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2010, 08:07:28 PM »

Ah yes, forgot to mention I couldn't play the windows version of the game, only managed on the browser. It simply wouldn't start.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2010, 10:49:56 AM »

Ah yes, forgot to mention I couldn't play the windows version of the game...  It simply wouldn't start.

I'm having this problem, too.  What's worse is I can't seem to play in the browser.  At first it was just that the sound was incomprehensibly glitchy so I installed the newest version of Java.  Now when I try to play in the browser I get an "Error: Class not found: boombox" message.

Shrug

EDIT:  Huh.  Now I'm wondering if the class not found error might have something to do with having updated java.  I tried playing in browser on my girlfriends Vista x32 laptop after updating first and got the same error.  I also tried installing it and found that again, it wouldn't start.  boombox.exe shows up on the task list for a second and javaw.exe starts but no windows show up, both on her computer and on my XP x64.

Ah!  I wanna play this so bad!   Cry
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 11:57:21 AM by oyog » Logged
damien
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2010, 05:02:54 PM »

Ah yes, forgot to mention I couldn't play the windows version of the game, only managed on the browser. It simply wouldn't start.

Yah, I'm aware that the Windows build doesn't work. Sadly, the evening that I started looking into why the Windows build wasn't working, my PC went belly-up. I'm going to put together a new box tomorrow night, I think, so hopefully I update the Win executable and fix that problem. Will update this thread when I do.

RE: the brower version not working on Win computers, this is a new issue with Java applets and the most recent JVM. I've read that they've made it so that you can't just load a jar file anymore, which f-ing blows. Someone did post about a workaround and I may get to that. Piss-poor timing, if you ask me!

damien
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2010, 05:08:58 PM »

Woaw! Great game!
It makes me think of Toejam and Earl (for the sound and ambiance).

I wrote a litle review in french if you're interested by a short feedback : http://oujevipo.fr/10-minutes/boombox

Sweet, nice little write-up. My French is not super-great, but I think I got the gist of it! I know there is not much content, but I plan on creating more content for it. This game is really a proof-of-concept for something much longer, which I hope to be able to follow through with.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2010, 05:01:54 PM »

Yah, I'm aware that the Windows build doesn't work. Sadly, the evening that I started looking into why the Windows build wasn't working, my PC went belly-up. I'm going to put together a new box tomorrow night, I think, so hopefully I update the Win executable and fix that problem. Will update this thread when I do.

RE: the brower version not working on Win computers, this is a new issue with Java applets and the most recent JVM. I've read that they've made it so that you can't just load a jar file anymore, which f-ing blows. Someone did post about a workaround and I may get to that. Piss-poor timing, if you ask me!

Ah, BALLS!

Well, until the possible release of a windows version...  I'll go see if anyone made a video play-through or somethin' so I can at least hear the tunes.

DarknessKight
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2010, 05:01:34 PM »

The browser version works with my Window 7 laptop if that is any help. Took a few minutes for the loading bar to show up the first time though. Made a simple playthrough of the game as well here:

For some reason I have random pauses even in my original recording.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 05:17:03 PM by DarknessKight » Logged

Need a video of a game? Come request it at: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=14291.0
oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2010, 04:35:56 PM »

The browser version works with my Window 7 laptop if that is any help. Took a few minutes for the loading bar to show up the first time though. Made a simple playthrough of the game as well here:

Bad ass!

I...  I think I'm in love.  Addicted
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2010, 07:44:04 PM »

BOOM BOX has won the Phat Beats badge for being one of the winners of the Best Audio poll. Congratulations.

Hand Clap Hand Shake Right Hand Shake Right Hand Clap Hand Shake Left Hand Clap Hand Shake Right Hand Shake Left Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Clap Hand Shake Left

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic