Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 01:08:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Rolling terrain like in Animal Crossing
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Rolling terrain like in Animal Crossing  (Read 5651 times)
imaginationac
Level 2

Makin' games instead of makin' money.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 04, 2010, 10:07:06 PM »

So in Animal Crossing Wild World and City Folk (and I'm sure other games), there's a really neat trick where the objects in the background roll sort of get smaller as though there's a horizon line.
Look at this video for an example of what I mean:

I'm trying to achieve this effect, but I haven't a clue as to how to do this. My thought is this is dependent on how the camera renders things.

While I'm doing this in Unity, a platform agnostic solution is fine.

Feel free to talk about implement cameras in general as well.

Youtube channel | Charger! Dev Log

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 11:42:46 PM »

I've gotten the impression that it's a spherical map that revolves around the character on one of the axises. I have no source to back this up, though. That's just my thoughts after playing it for the DS a few years ago, really liking it, and trying to figure it out.

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 01:10:31 AM »

I don't think anything's getting smaller. It looks like the scenery is on the surface of a sphere. So all you need to do is have some system for transforming a 2D map onto half of a sphere. It can be really quite approximate, since really horrible distortions in places the player cannot see won't matter.

st33d
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 04:09:39 AM »

There's already been a thread on this subject although it's hard to find (I just remember reading the topic before):

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8645.0

I haven't read it myself, but if you dig through it you might find some resources.
raigan
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 05:23:39 AM »

I don't think anything's getting smaller. It looks like the scenery is on the surface of a sphere. So all you need to do is have some system for transforming a 2D map onto half of a sphere. It can be really quite approximate, since really horrible distortions in places the player cannot see won't matter.

It's a cylinder, not a sphere Smiley
imaginationac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 08:41:15 AM »

There's already been a thread on this subject although it's hard to find (I just remember reading the topic before):

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=8645.0

I haven't read it myself, but if you dig through it you might find some resources.

Thanks! Yeah, I remember reading that thread before. Definitely helpful.

Theotherguy
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 09:38:26 AM »

It looks like its definitely done with a trick in the renderer and not actual level geometry. Reminds me of the first 3D sonic game.

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 12:46:34 PM »

It doesn't look like it's a cylinder, at least to my eyes. The geometry seems normal until an arbitrary point in the distance where it curves heavily, and with the size of the areas in that game I'm not sure a simple cylinder would have the same effect.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
raigan
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2010, 08:00:17 AM »

This in-development tutorial looks promising:
http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=577502
nikki
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2010, 08:17:20 AM »

to the OP: How is it working out ?

and i would also say the 'crazy' perspective looks as if the world exists on a cilinder instead of a 2d plane..
imaginationac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 08:32:30 AM »

I haven't had time lately to work on the project. But I should be able to get back on it after this Friday, where hopefully I will be done with my first undergraduate degree!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic