Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:38:45 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)XNA
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: XNA  (Read 5573 times)
ultim8p00
Level 0

View Profile
XNA
« on: March 15, 2008, 09:13:37 PM »

Hey, I've been thinking a lot about XNA lately, but idk much about it, since I've used GameMaker my entire programming life.

What is it like really? If I were to make a game on it, would I have to program my own game engine? Is it you know, like GameMaker or MMF that the engine is already programmed with a bunch of objects and libraries so you can make your game?
Zaknafein
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 12:25:11 AM »

would I have to program my own game engine?

Yep, you'd have to.
XNA is basically Managed DirectX 2.0... DirectX on the .NET framework with object-oriented design. But it's still very low-level, and you'd most likely have to make some engine-level classes to be able to make your game.

I suggest you download starter packs on http://creators.xna.com like SpaceWar or the racing game, those are finished projects made by the XNA team that give an idea of how complex a real XNA minigame can be.

Gazillion
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 09:32:26 PM »

Don't be intimidated by the fact that XNA is at a lower level than what you're used to working with. I had messed with MDX 2.0 and wasn't able to get anywhere with it. I found that by using a straight API like directX/openGL that I would get bogged down by little details that most of the time I didn't know what they meant.

I think that XNA found this sweet spot where I can do what I want without having to worry about graphic device initialization and the likes.

Like some person, who's name escapes me, once said on the gamedev forums: "With XNA I now code video games instead of video game engines"

dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 09:46:05 PM »

"With XNA I now code video games instead of video game engines"

The quote I remember hearing on gamedev that I liked a lot was

"Write Games, Not Engines"

Sounds like if XNA let's you write games it's pretty sweet, if I had a pc/xbox360 I'd check it out Smiley
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 09:54:47 PM »

XNA has nothing on java+OGL though Huh?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
dustin
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 10:18:45 PM »

XNA has nothing on java+OGL though Huh

I love the java+OGL combo.  I'm currently using slick because I only ever do 2d games, but yeah it's awesome.  Do you use java + opengl? I wasn't really sure if you were making fun of me with the huh emoticon...
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 05:09:34 AM »

Xna is still a lot higher level than the Java and GL combo. It's certainly appealing.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 07:31:30 AM »

Xna is still a lot higher level than the Java and GL combo. It's certainly appealing.
I wouldn't say that, but ok, let's not start a language war.
XNA has nothing on java+OGL though Huh

I love the java+OGL combo.  I'm currently using slick because I only ever do 2d games, but yeah it's awesome.  Do you use java + opengl? I wasn't really sure if you were making fun of me with the huh emoticon...

Yeah, I'm currently using blitz basic, but I have made a quasi complete 2D framework in java+OGL with scrollmaps, sprites, unlimited effects, etc..., it was totally smooth and fast and really easy to use thanks to java's high level coding.
I planned to use it for my games, but because of the distribution problems associated with java I decided to go with blitz3D hoping to get back to java after a while.
But nowadays most of the distribution problems associated with java have disappeared anyway.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 07:35:53 AM by moi » Logged

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ninjascience
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 08:10:54 AM »

one thing I like about XNA is the component framework.  TorqueX really takes advantage of that.  There's not really a lot of stuff in the XNA docs about how to leverage components but the TorqueX examples do a good job of showing you. 

more about component frameworks:
http://cowboyprogramming.com/2007/01/05/evolve-your-heirachy/
ringo
Level 0

is a star

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 05:00:25 AM »

I don't find programming with XNA too dissimilar than doing stuff with Direct3D, aside from the fact that using C# as opposed to C++ makes me way more productive.

A good thing about XNA is the amount of resources and sample work out there for you to play with. Microsoft has been really supportive of it, releasing some very good tutes via their www.creators.xna.com website.

Also, the community has seemed to embrace it whole heartedly, as their is no shortage of user submitted articles on sites like www.ziggyware.com.
Hinchy
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 01:20:46 PM »

I want to learn XNA. I have no previous experience with coding save for Adobe's flash-based ActionScript. Where should I start?
ringo
Level 0

is a star

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »

Those two sites I mentioned above  Wink
team_q
Level 10

Divide by everything is fine and nothing is wrong.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2008, 08:35:13 PM »

Or download some of the basic games, and learn by tweaking them in new and interesting ways.

Dirty Rectangles

_PRINCE OF ARCADE_
ultim8p00
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 07:41:53 AM »

Sweet, I downloaded XNA a couple of weeks ago. After I finish working on Katakijin, I will start on learning XNA. Then if I'm proficient enough at it, I'll just port project DMC to it.
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 12:00:28 PM »

I feel sad because I won't be able to play that.

My PC hates XNA.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
FARTRON
Level 4

the last man in space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 06:20:29 AM »

There's also TorqueX which brings the Torque engine to XNA, and might make things easier. I haven't tried it myself, so I can't testify.

Everything that was once directly lived has receded into a representation. - debord
ninjascience
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 08:49:21 AM »

I have, not 2.0 though.  It's great!  Their Platformer Starter Kit has some great stuff to make platformer construction much easier.  The price is right too.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic