Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 05:29:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] ORANGE [FINISHED]
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] ORANGE [FINISHED]  (Read 16938 times)
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 07:53:49 AM »

Quote from: Melly
Perhaps there's an external file you didn't include? Are you using supersound.dll or another external library?

No, I don't think I got any music during gameplay.
I am using 'bass.dll' and 'bgm.dll' (Bass for GameMaker).  They were definitely included with the executable in the download '.zip' directory (Otherwise, there would be way more errors).
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 09:42:42 AM by Theta » Logged

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 09:27:27 AM »

Quote from: Melly
Perhaps there's an external file you didn't include? Are you using supersound.dll or another external library?

No, I don't think I got any music during gameplay.
Okay, I was able to reproduce your exact problem on my old XP.  There was no problem in playing the storyline piece ("Hay Meadow"), but when the main piece ("This Isn't Chess") was supposed to play, it gave those errors.  Thus, I think the OGG file could have possibly been corrupted somehow (though why it worked on my main computer is beyond me).

Using the original WAV, I recompressed the piece into another OGG file, and created a new version of the game.  It worked fine on my XP, so hopefully it will work for you (and anyone else who might be having this problem).  Could you please give it a try?  The new version is Demo V.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 12:16:04 PM by Theta » Logged

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 10:51:56 AM »

Ah, yes, game works perfectly now. A pretty nice song you got there, gives the game a strange but pleasant atmosphere. Though I found the initial parts of the songs a little grating on my ears.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 02:10:38 PM »

Nice, it's very smooth. I felt that the ending was rather anticlimactic, though. I expected... something. Unless there's different endings.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2010, 02:33:56 PM »

- How fast (FPS) did the game run for you? 
It was very smooth, I didn't check in-game though, but it was running perfect.

- How difficult was the game for you?  How is the difficulty curve?  Are four lives enough?
Beat the game with exactly one life on my first try. I was actually satisfied with the difficulty though.

- If you used the mouse, did the 8-directional mouse-control feel right to you?  I am hesitant to make full-360 mouse control, as it might encourage the player to sit in one place.
Wasn't crazy about it but I did get used to it, it was no problem. Didn't affect my performance at all.
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2010, 03:44:50 PM »

This is all good to hear!  I think I will be releasing a final version of this soon.

@Melly:
I'm glad everything is working.  The storyline piece is supposed to be a bit jarring; I was playing on a piano from the 1700's that barely worked.  As for the main piece, I must say I like the atmosphere that it gives as well.  I didn't want to go for the typical "SHMUP soundtrack."  Although, I could see how the sound wave sounds in the very beginning of the piece might be a little grating (sine waves are almost never pleasant-sounding).

@agj:
[spoiler]
I wanted the ending to be subtle.  I realize that Agent Orange caused way more damage than ecological destruction; it also caused innumerable birth defects, health problems, and deaths.  The photos of its effects are absolutely horrific, and I briefly considered making the ending more jarring (i.e. alluding to Agent Orange's effects on humans in some way).  However, in my opinion, this would be tasteless (also, this game is not specifically about Agent Orange in Vietnam, but about something broader - it is about the ideas and methods behind war in Vietnam, Iraq, etc).  I hope seeing the utter ecological destruction at the end is enough to make some sort of impact.  There is meant to be a paradox at the end, with the superposition of the General's congratulations with the desolate background image.  The player is meant to question - did he/she really win?
[/spoiler]

@allen:
Good to hear everything ran smoothly.  I personally prefer full keyboard-control, but for those who prefer mouse-controlled shooting, I'm glad it is pretty easy to get used to.

knight
Level 3

aka dude4k

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2010, 05:45:01 PM »

Great game. I love the simple yet addictive concept. I've managed to get a 50% completion rate. I also love the menu. Something about scrolling over that jungle feels perfect. Nice game looking forward to seeing it finished.
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2010, 06:41:49 PM »

It's finished!  Please see first post.

Great game. I love the simple yet addictive concept. I've managed to get a 50% completion rate. I also love the menu. Something about scrolling over that jungle feels perfect. Nice game looking forward to seeing it finished.
Glad you liked it!  Originally, I had just a stationary image of the jungle, but I agree, the "scrolling" really adds something.

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 08:20:06 AM »

Forgot to mention earlier that the music is great.

@agj:
[spoiler]

I get that, but rather than subtle it felt a bit weak. The contrast wasn't strong enough; the result was too obvious to create much of an effect at the end. That is how I felt.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 02:50:44 PM »

@agj:
Glad you liked the music!  It was fun to record.  Smiley

Also, I can see what you mean about the ending.  This is the approach that I wanted to take, though - hopefully it will leave some impression on people.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2010, 06:07:02 PM »

There was an error when I started the game. It said there was a missing external function and the music refused to play. A similar error occurred whenever I changed rooms.

I was still able to play it, though, and I enjoyed the experience. At times it got really desperate, like there was no way to push back the tide of plants quickly enough. Which turned out to be really fun.

I agree that the ending was a little obvious, at least to anyone who recognizes the Orange reference. Still, it's hard to think of any other way to end it.

ink.inc
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2010, 07:48:56 PM »

Agent Orange, from the Vietnam War, is the reference, I think. Thank you AP world history.
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2010, 08:16:49 PM »

There was an error when I started the game. It said there was a missing external function and the music refused to play. A similar error occurred whenever I changed rooms.

I was still able to play it, though, and I enjoyed the experience. At times it got really desperate, like there was no way to push back the tide of plants quickly enough. Which turned out to be really fun.

I agree that the ending was a little obvious, at least to anyone who recognizes the Orange reference. Still, it's hard to think of any other way to end it.
Thanks a lot!  This music error baffles me, since it has worked for me and other people.  I would suggest re-extracting, and trying to run the game again.  Other people have occasionally had this problem running my games that use 'bgm.dll,' and it usually eventually runs properly.

Agent Orange, from the Vietnam War, is the reference, I think. Thank you AP world history.
This is indeed the reference.

miconazole
Level 1

contact through email pls

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2010, 09:58:41 PM »

Maybe this sounds a little strange but I got a real feeling of loneliness from this game.
Didn't realize there was an ending - perhaps I'll try to get it.

miconazole
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2010, 10:11:44 PM »

Motherfucker, 93%.

Edit: 99%. Do I just operate terribly under pressure or what?

Fake edit: I notice this 99% phase seems to last an awfully long time. Theta are you trolling us?!

Real edit: Finally beat it! I suck.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 10:33:23 PM by miconazole » Logged

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2010, 07:20:47 AM »

Motherfucker, 93%.

Edit: 99%. Do I just operate terribly under pressure or what?

Fake edit: I notice this 99% phase seems to last an awfully long time. Theta are you trolling us?!

Real edit: Finally beat it! I suck.
The way the game is designed, you cannot clear all of the plants unless it is at 99% (once you completely clear the screen, it goes to 100%).  At 99%, the plants will still spawn other plants in the vicinity, but will not produce more plants randomly on the other sides.  It can still take awhile to clear them completely, though.  I personally like this sort of frantic "you have to clear it all" feeling at the end, even if it makes the percentage somewhat inaccurate (I did make it blink at 99%, to indicate to the player that it is somehow different at this point).

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2010, 01:57:16 PM »

I thought it was pretty clear what you had to do. Though that last 1% is incredibly tough to remove. I think it works pretty well.

miconazole
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2010, 05:41:19 PM »

Oh no, I got the idea too and I don't have a problem with it. I was just amused by my incompetence.

Hey, can you believe this forum has a marquee tag?
As a side note, I loved Ceramic Shooter.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2010, 06:37:06 PM »

I'm glad the last 1% didn't confuse people.  It sometimes takes me a bit to clear it, though - you have to go for the dark-green "blobby" plants - those are the only plants that can spawn other plants.

Quote from: miconazole
Maybe this sounds a little strange but I got a real feeling of loneliness from this game.
[spoiler]I can see where this is coming from - there are very few human elements in the game.  You converse only with the General, who appears extremely detached as he orders you to devastate an ecosystem (and likely do worse, as Agent Orange did).  The Enemy (which is mentioned in the beginning) isn't even visible in the game (they are supposed to be hiding deep in the jungle, using the plants as cover).[/spoiler]

Quote from: miconazole
As a side note, I loved Ceramic Shooter.
Thanks!

guille
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2010, 11:32:56 AM »

The atmosphere on this game is very good. It makes it stand out in the crowded sea of arena shooters.

Seconded, the music is great! I also like how the sound effects are very subtle so it's a pretty quiet, organic and relaxing game.

I'm not a big arena shooter fan (didn't like geometry wars, for example) but I really enjoyed this (as it isn't noisy and full of explosions and flashy lights). A bit short and easy though, but very nice! congrats!  Smiley

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic