Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 01:34:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingMount Drash: The Roguelike
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Mount Drash: The Roguelike  (Read 6547 times)
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« on: March 21, 2007, 07:20:23 AM »

Hi people!

Just wanted to let you know about one of my roguelike games, if you don't know what a roguelike is then visit the Roguebasin at http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/

* DrashRL
A roguelike game based on Ye Olde game "Ultima: Escape from Mt. Drash". The game is about escaping from Mt. Drash Tongue, both strategy and tactics are important as you get to shape your character in a limited way (you can't be master of everything). Also it has a graphics customizable UI, and combat maneuvers

Some screens:

Downloads and further info at: http://www.santiagoz.com/web

I have some other in-dev roguelike at my website, you may want to give them a look as well, as feedback is always important.

Note: Right not I'm developing a new version of CastlevaniaRL which will make it a much more stable and complete game.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2007, 01:00:02 PM »

Is it weird that I wish it had a single default graphical tileset, as opposed to two (or however many there are)?
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2007, 07:02:36 AM »

Well, I don't think it is weird...

It is just some hardcore Ultima fans may want the classic tilesets, which may be too retro for the rest of players Tongue

Not that an unique tileset isn't a need though..

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2007, 09:15:20 PM »

Ah, I see.  Yeah, maybe two tilesets makes sense, but it looks like you've got a bunch there.  I'd concentrate on one really polished, unique-looking default tileset and then a retro Ultima set.  For me, personally, having multiple graphical styles is not a big feature that I'm looking for in a RL (or really any game).  What I want is one style that is polished, unique, and also coherent.

Also, you need to make it more obvious what sets this RL apart from other dungeon hacks. Smiley
Slash - Santiago Zapata
The White Knight
Level 4

Java/Javascript Game Dev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 06:51:11 AM »

Well, you may be right... maybe I went feature-happy and just wanted to show how customizable the engine is Tongue (You can make your own tileset and assign it as well)

I guess I could group appearances like this:
  • ASCII Appearance -> For hardcore (or not so hardcore) roguelike players. (Also, will be playable via telnet in the future, probably)
  • Ultima Retro -> In 4 different flavors: CGA, EGA, VGA and VGA16 (Smaller tiles). Maybe too many choices Tongue
  • "Modern" Appearance -> Using David Gervais tileset. Better for newcomers (I guess)

And yes, I think because of the non-unique theme, the game is confused for yet another dungeon hack...

Well these are some of the features:

• Straightforward and quick paced gameplay, a small command set and simple rules. Challenging to master.
  • There are no experience points, all enhancement is made by advancing through the levels. There are no character classes, you shape your character the way you want via "Advancements" (For example, you can get access to the different circles of magic, the combat skills, auxiliary skills, etc)
  • Combat skills are not selected via menus but instead performed inside the map
     (For example, to perform a charge you must run in the same direction two steps and then land into a monster. Also, you can slash through monsters, make evade moves by moving side to side, (This is hard to explain in text, the game provides explanation screens like this: http://www.santiagoz.com/share/drashrl032-A.png ) )
  • The combat system is based on Evasion, Integrity and Evade points, weapons have evade break and damage. Evasion is usually very high, but each time you evade your Evade points are reduced, depending on how hard it was to evade the blow. If you can't evade the blow then it may be taken completely by your armor, depending on its current status (It gets damaged and covers less every time) if you evade the blow (and you are not in Brave tactics), you will actually *move* around.

Some more info here: http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Mt._Drash:_the_Roguelike

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic