Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 05:22:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignLevel Design Workshop - #3 Structural Atmosphere
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Author Topic: Level Design Workshop - #3 Structural Atmosphere  (Read 65697 times)
Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: August 14, 2010, 10:43:15 AM »

A forest

You're supposed to be on the top of the trees, walking on branches and tree trunks.. a lot of 8-bit and 16-bit platform games had levels like that..

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: August 14, 2010, 11:06:59 AM »

This is a pretty decent puzzle.  It can be simplified a little bit without losing a great deal

There was a blip in the difficulty just after the 6th checkpoint, otherwise it was really smooth.  Good work.

Atmosphere 1 starting with your level, trying to make it feel like a mountain-cliff-thingy-ish landscape... >w<

Atmosphere 2 and then made one from scratch, this time it's supposed to be a space level, complete with alien caverns to explore xD

I really liked the 'rope bridges' in the first of these, they give a really good sense of airyness without actually increasing how treacherous it is.

The first half of the second level felt very sparse, which I guess does fit the space theme, but the small scattered platforms don't fit in so well to me.  For the heck of it I tried converting it to a castle interior.

Statically linked version works: doing the same for the past challenges too would be useful.

Okay, will do.

A forest

You're supposed to be on the top of the trees, walking on branches and tree trunks.. a lot of 8-bit and 16-bit platform games had levels like that..

Ah, that's excellent.  It felt really very foresty Smiley

Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 14, 2010, 11:11:14 AM »

I love this thread. You are a workshop genius.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 14, 2010, 01:02:05 PM »

I thought I'd give this one a try.  Theme is caverns.

http://jonathanwhiting.com/coding/ldw/02atmosphere.swf?level=PNEKAIHJAIQBJCLBLCPICPDPCIANDIBMDJAMCPDPDPDPDPGMHAJELAIEPCgPDPCPJAPJBPICMCICKEIHCIHMGOEOGJFJCJDLBIEOHCJBNBJBPJAgMBKBKDKHAKEJCLCJCPIBLAJBIBKHAJHBJEICKBPJBPJBPJCMBJEICLHAMDJANCJAMDIBNBJAMCKBLCKBLCPICPICOEPGLHCJHALBgLAKHAJHALGMDLBIEKBJEKBKDKBKDLAKFJALHLHAIHCJHAJHCMCKANBOEOEPDPDKAMGJAIGKHBJEKBIHCKHKHKDPDPICPIBgMBIHCKHPENFJCIFJGLHCIHCIBICKBIBPAIBPJBLEIHCIHCIHCIHCJHBKHCIGIAIAJEYKDJCPN

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
klembot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 14, 2010, 01:06:54 PM »

A forest

I really liked this one -- I could see how you'd be able to flesh it out with actual tiles. One caveat: on screen #4, the one tile above the last jump on the right side makes it really difficult to complete. At least, it took me a while and it was kind of frustrating.

Here's my try: Escape from Cavern Mountain!

I will never reveal the twofold secret.
tesselode
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2010, 01:41:52 PM »

I thought I may as well try.

This one's a womb level.

Normally huge link.
tzachs
Level 1

Look normal...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: August 14, 2010, 02:01:17 PM »

Huh, interesting tesselode, my concept was similar to yours...
Awesome workshop btw  Smiley

In the belly of the whale

Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 14, 2010, 02:17:27 PM »

New level for people to make into...levels.

I tried to make the design of the level as interesting as possible, so go crazy giving it a feel.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Dacke
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 14, 2010, 02:33:39 PM »

This was awesome. The whale was really there.

programming • free software
animal liberation • veganism
anarcho-communism • intersectionality • feminism
Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2010, 04:46:45 PM »

I know I know! I'm a terrible person.  I've been really listless and useless the past couple of weeks for some reason, please forgive my rubbishness Beg

No worries, listless and useless sums up my past month up quite well. Thanks immensely for this workshop, I  Kiss you.

Onto level design! brb

LSK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 14, 2010, 08:29:57 PM »

Adventure at sea!

Dear Diary:
Day 1, I bought a new ship. Day 2, it was attacked by pirates. So, Day 3, I went home.

And, with only cosmetic modifications:
The Day The Bomb Went Off!

Also: a maze level.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 09:03:39 PM by LSK » Logged
Draknek
Level 6

"Alan Hazelden" for short

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: August 15, 2010, 05:44:15 AM »

Inside the mine.

I really like this one.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: August 15, 2010, 06:31:33 AM »

Haven't contributed to this before but thought I'd give this one a quick go.

Linky

increpare
« Reply #173 on: August 15, 2010, 06:32:34 AM »

Linky

?
porousnapkin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 15, 2010, 08:29:10 AM »

Alright, I just found this thread, and decided to simultaneously take a stab at both the 1st and 3rd workshop. Hope that's okay.

6 Sokobans:
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six

For #3, Caves and Cliffs. I tried focusing on making the environment feel natural.

I liked the blockiness of the beggining areas. That definitely cemented the mine feel.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: August 15, 2010, 10:13:26 AM »

Linky

?

!

Oh wow I had no idea there was more than one screen in this editor. Coffee

Another go.

I've gone for an about-to-collapse ruins theme. Basically lots of arches and columns, and I alternate between enclosed and open air to try and keep it interesting. Also features a couple of backtracking bits to make it a little more explorey.

For #3, Caves and Cliffs. I tried focusing on making the environment feel natural.

That was nice, when I saw the final screen though I was expecting another screen past the exit. I like the idea of an unnecessary screen at the end that you can look at optionally. That would help the natural feeling as it's not directly A to B then.

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: August 15, 2010, 10:31:26 AM »

OMG A WHALE! Nice :D

Another try..

Clouds

A Temple

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: August 15, 2010, 11:15:17 AM »

Interesting that using checkpoints as spikes turns them into permadeath because it spawns you above the gap. I thought they were spikes initially though didn't really think to use them after realising they're checkpoints.

Dustin Smith
Level 10

Eskimo James Dean

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: August 15, 2010, 03:11:56 PM »

I linked to this thread via PlayThisThing so I could spread the love.

I tried making some levels last night but nothing worked out. My redesign of the 2nd exercise went for a cavernous pyramid vibe and I think I pulled it off pretty well; unless I can figure something out with the recursive nature of the screens I don't know what to do for this exercise.

Atmosphere 2 and then made one from scratch, this time it's supposed to be a space level, complete with alien caverns to explore xD

I enjoyed this one, it started out open and expansive but morphed into that cavern. Having the door in the starting screen made it seem like I traversed a miniature planet.  Smiley

A forest

This was pretty cool, very evocative of Donkey Kong Country's first handful of levels.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: August 15, 2010, 05:37:04 PM »

Military Complex?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic