Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1364476 Posts in 63827 Topics- by 55709 Members - Latest Member: Oliverking754321

August 18, 2019, 06:51:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignLevel Design Workshop - #3 Structural Atmosphere
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Print
Author Topic: Level Design Workshop - #3 Structural Atmosphere  (Read 55739 times)
LSK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2010, 05:41:59 PM »

Just thought I'd highlight a glitch.

EDIT: This is a better level that uses the glitch six times.

EDIT 2: I'm sorry.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 07:25:51 PM by LSK » Logged
PleasingFungus
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: August 15, 2010, 07:42:58 PM »

That second glitchlevel is really cool! (And the third level, which I played first, is really funny.)

Finished games: Manufactoria! International King of Wine!
And others on my site.
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: August 15, 2010, 09:44:18 PM »

Dungeon Escape (from scratch)

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: August 16, 2010, 12:35:27 PM »

Definitely had a good caverny feel.  I liked that you preserved the important bits of the gameplay, despite changing the structural form a little bit.

Also suitable caverny.  I enjoyed the gradual transition from full enclosure to open air.

I thought I may as well try.

This one's a womb level.

Normally huge link.

Oh, clever theme Smiley  Fairly good organic feel considering you only had square blocks to work with.

One general (and very minor) thing to note is there was at least one place where the blocks at the right edge of a section don't match up with the blocks on the left of the next one.  The resulting collision weirdness is something best avoided.

Haha, wow, amazing concept there.  Quite evocative design, wasn't sure what was going on at the end.

Quite industrial feeling, which definitely works well.

Alright, I just found this thread, and decided to simultaneously take a stab at both the 1st and 3rd workshop. Hope that's okay.

Yes of course, the more the merrier Smiley

A solid set of puzzles, especially the strict but challenging minimalism of the middle ones.

For #3, Caves and Cliffs. I tried focusing on making the environment feel natural.

It's effective, but it doesn't bear much resemblance to the original level.

Another go.

I've gone for an about-to-collapse ruins theme. Basically lots of arches and columns, and I alternate between enclosed and open air to try and keep it interesting. Also features a couple of backtracking bits to make it a little more explorey.

I think you really nailed that theme.  Good job.  The back-track bits worked okay in this context, but I don't think I'd enjoy them in a proper game.

The clouds level is fantastic, a really strong feel to it.  Sadly the temples themeing doesn't feel as strong to me, there's not all that much distinctive about it.

I linked to this thread via PlayThisThing so I could spread the love.

I saw, cheers!  Coffee

Interesting subversion of the original level.  I found the themeing a bit difficult to unpiece.  I guess it was a fairly difficult one to manage.

Hah, someone will always try and break it!  The construction in the second glitch level is pretty cunning though.

Strong
Level 1

Umm... okay.

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 16, 2010, 12:58:43 PM »

I made a sewer level, where you're walking through pipes. Because every game needs to have a sewer level.
increpare
« Reply #185 on: August 16, 2010, 01:08:24 PM »

EDIT 2: I'm sorry.
I love this level.  It feels like a level.
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: August 16, 2010, 01:33:05 PM »

I made a sewer level, where you're walking through pipes. Because every game needs to have a sewer level.

The transition from inside to outside the pipe on the screen 2->3 transition was rather jarring.  Otherwise the themeing was surprisingly effect given it's minimalism Smiley

Jimbob
Level 3

Not a Detective

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: August 16, 2010, 01:59:41 PM »

What would be a cool (and I'm assuming very simple) addition would be a lighter coloured tile that is purely aesthetic so that your platforms etc. can be extended out into the game world visually but not have an effect on the gameplay.

Last release: sync::routine
klembot
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 16, 2010, 03:48:30 PM »

This isn't strictly atmosphere, but I loved the optional bits of exploring after you win.

I will never reveal the twofold secret.
GameRoom
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 16, 2010, 03:54:12 PM »

You can go left at the beginning and get straight to the exit.
XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: August 16, 2010, 05:30:13 PM »

i'm at work waiting for traffic to clear up...
entering the construction site via rooftops  
Facepalm
lost in the desert
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 05:59:07 PM by XRA » Logged

Tuba
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: August 16, 2010, 06:23:31 PM »

That's awesome! Shocked

You can go left at the beginning and get straight to the exit.

LOL didn't know it was cyclic! Tongue

ScsiOverdrive
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 16, 2010, 08:05:32 PM »

Floating Rocks
Simple and a little ambiguous. Not sure anyone would guess the theme was floating rocks with clouds in the background (unless I told them), but still turned out good enough to post I think. Gameplay is open and airy as expected.

Streets of Death
Another level with open and airy play, but this time you are on top of buildings! I am happier with this one, though there are a couple of confusing areas. One is supposed to be inside a building, the other is... hey look over there! Smiley

I tried to stay close the original level on both of these, this turned out to be a fun constraint. I may come back and create a claustrophobic version of this level to contrast the above two.

Cool exercise!
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #193 on: August 16, 2010, 09:29:42 PM »

What would be a cool (and I'm assuming very simple) addition would be a lighter coloured tile that is purely aesthetic so that your platforms etc. can be extended out into the game world visually but not have an effect on the gameplay.

I considered adding some stuff like that for this excercise, but ultimately decided to stick to my guns and keep things really simple.  Whilst extra tiles would add expressivity I'm not convinced they would increase the learning value of the excercise.  It's productive to work within strict boundaries.

I really liked the forms you used in this.  The use of checkpoints and exits was perhaps a bit excessive though, I found the level very hard to 'read' in places (in both gameplay and thematic terms).

Floating Rocks
Simple and a little ambiguous. Not sure anyone would guess the theme was floating rocks with clouds in the background (unless I told them), but still turned out good enough to post I think. Gameplay is open and airy as expected.

I don't think it matters so much how guessable the theme is from just playing it in this excercise, in a real game we'd likely have far more options for how to represent things clearly.  The themeing certainly matches your concept very well, it was very Avatar-y.  The use of checkpoints did make some jump faliures a critical event though (forcing you to restart entirely), which isn't so great.

Streets of Death
Another level with open and airy play, but this time you are on top of buildings! I am happier with this one, though there are a couple of confusing areas. One is supposed to be inside a building, the other is... hey look over there! Smiley

It worked pretty well.  There are certainly bits of the level that don't lend themselves well to building style structures, but you've done a decent job of incorporating them anyway.

I tried to stay close the original level on both of these, this turned out to be a fun constraint. I may come back and create a claustrophobic version of this level to contrast the above two.

That would be cool Smiley

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: August 16, 2010, 09:53:57 PM »

New level for people to make into...levels.

I tried to make the design of the level as interesting as possible, so go crazy giving it a feel.

The two layered-ness was a bit of a challenge, but a bit of a spelunking adventure

Oddbob
« Reply #195 on: August 16, 2010, 11:36:56 PM »

Lummy, I've been meaning to make time for this so rather late to the party:

To the lost city, there's no going back.

Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: August 17, 2010, 12:06:21 AM »

Lummy, I've been meaning to make time for this so rather late to the party:

To the lost city, there's no going back.

I really liked the use of 'whitespace' to give bulk and form to the walls/floor.

vvendigo
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #197 on: August 17, 2010, 07:06:01 AM »

Asteroid factory
Jonathan Whiting
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: August 17, 2010, 09:07:24 AM »

Welcome!

I really like this take on the level.  It has a real clean-built up feel to it, but the detailing within (whilst simple) really conveys a slightly alien space-y aspect.  Great work!

ScsiOverdrive
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 18, 2010, 06:27:45 PM »

Tech Base

I had a pretty good cave level but my computer crashed before I could save it, doh! Might try and re-create it later.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic