Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:01:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Moonlight [FINISHED v1.0]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Moonlight [FINISHED v1.0]  (Read 23374 times)
Flimgoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »

OK, updates!

Funny glowy thing that wasn't very obvious is now a coin, with a ferret on it. I'm sure I just killed my lore :p

Shadow balls of DOOM are only on the flight of the bumblebee and the second part of moonlight sonata now... and they should be a bit more visible.

Jumping - I fiddled with it, changed it, decided I didn't like it and changed it back, but there's now a little "jetpack" style thruster particle effect to help explain why it responds like it does (and a mini-thrust if you hold jump as you descend - it halves gravity). I also added in top collisions halting your upward velocity (you were always accelerating downwards but there was no "stop" which should have been there when you collide).

Downward arrows fade out when inactive (after you've been through them).

Also, Flight of the Bumblebee is now level 3 instead of 5.

Please let me know what you think of the latest version Smiley

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2010, 03:42:03 PM »

The update fixes some small issues, but the erratic jumping still holds this game back. You may have just gotten used to things the mechanics the way they were, and any change at all (even in the right direction) will feel strange to you.

Flimgoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2010, 04:21:24 PM »

I think I was misreading you - thought you were objecting to variable jump speeds/being able to move while in the air.

But I think I've found what you were getting at - I've changed the jump to be an initial full speed (the velocity it eventually reached if you held down jump for the duration) and instead of continuing to accelerate it just doesn't decelerate if you hold down jump.

(it now starts at 8.0 and stays constant for the half second rather than starting at 2.0 and accelerating another 6.0 over the half second)

I've also increased gravity so that you can still make small jumps (though the smallest jump possible is now bigger than it was).

Have a play, let me know what you think (I've only updated the web version so far).

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2010, 04:40:49 PM »

I think it feels a lot better now. I found it much easier to control the height of my jumps.

Flimgoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2010, 04:48:58 PM »

I think it feels a lot better now. I found it much easier to control the height of my jumps.

hurrah :D

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2010, 12:25:01 AM »

It's a brilliant idea. The Flight of the Bumblebee level is genius and I didn't enjoy speeding through a level since Sonic 3. Beer!

The jumping is still a little painful though, and it'd be nice if the the bullets(?) were a bit more visible.

Flimgoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2010, 12:51:27 AM »

Cool, thanks. What was bothering you about the jumping particularly? And was that on all the levels or just the bumblebee one? (jumping is silly high on that level)

I think I need to ditch the •darkness• thing and just make those guys easy to see. Maybe yellow and black - pretend they're evil bees or something... Hmm

György Straub
Level 4

Friendly Giant Nano

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2010, 12:57:51 AM »

Yeah, I think the darkness (presumably invited by the chosen name for the game) isn't really helping the bright, cheerful atmosphere of the game.

In the case of the jump, it's the sensitivity. It's nice to jump higher by pressing the jump button longer, but I felt it rockets away very quick. You're right, it isn't that inconvenient on the other levels.

Flimgoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2010, 01:21:08 AM »

Ok I think replacing darkness with a "bumblebee" will make sense (bumble bee OF THE NIGHT!)

Everyone seems to have a different opinion on the darkness...  Doesn't help that it responds differently on mac vs windows. Will reduce it on the speed run level though

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2010, 08:06:20 PM »

The game came a long way since I last saw it for sure. have you actually gotten a perfect score is all of these levels? It's very hard to hit some of the notes, and the jump is so sensitive that it's hard to be precise, though perhaps it's a matter of practice.

The graphics could still use some work, but they're pretty good.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Flimgoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 14, 2010, 04:25:20 AM »

The game came a long way since I last saw it for sure. have you actually gotten a perfect score is all of these levels? It's very hard to hit some of the notes, and the jump is so sensitive that it's hard to be precise, though perhaps it's a matter of practice.

The graphics could still use some work, but they're pretty good.

Not sure a perfect score is possible... if it is it's very very very difficult. You can complete it with all notes hit though - then it's just a "my score is better than yours!" (or it would be if I implemented a global high score table)

I've been trying to keep it procedurally generated from the music so I'm able to add more levels without having to design them (though actual proper level design would allow much more interesting things in there... as well as definitely allow a perfect score).

Thanks! my scribbling seems to be improving (which is reassuring) - I'm quite proud of the trees (far from perfect but a long long way better than the first draft).

Flimgoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 14, 2010, 06:07:38 AM »

Update: Bees!

Jumping made a bit less silly on the speed run levels - and a 6th level (the rest of Clair de lune - hurrah!)

Flimgoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2010, 03:00:51 PM »

Bonus level: Moon-light em' up!

http://dl.grumpyferret.com/grumpyferret/moonlight/player/shmup.html

Might incorporate this into the levels somehow, but not till after the compo.

(bah, something up with the screen size detection I'm doing on the mac - you should be able to move around the whole screen but it's not playing nice atm)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:24:08 AM by Flimgoblin » Logged

Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2010, 10:03:27 AM »

Nice game and idea. I wasn't comfortable with the jumping, but it's passable. I was expecting it to be more like canabalt where the player only controls the jump and the ball would auto-move. Good work.

Flimgoblin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 22, 2010, 02:36:12 PM »

Thanks.

I did briefly try a "song line" you had to keep up with but it didn't feel right... unlike a rhythm matching game there was no room to recover with the platforming (unless I had the song line stop and wait but that felt artificial and weird).

Given I'm experimenting with other gameplay modes (e.g. shoot em up) might add in a rhythm style level..

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic