Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411419 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: timothy feriandy

April 17, 2024, 08:31:53 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsA Game by Its Cover[AGBIC] Ruins
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: [AGBIC] Ruins  (Read 6465 times)
hell0jed
Level 0

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2010, 05:39:48 PM »

Ruins

Description

The ruins are a metaphor, for your chosen career prospects. If your self esteem was a city it would be Pripyat, overgrown with doubt. Your dreams are now shattered and rusted over.

You've decided to go to the heart of it all, the dead center. Maybe in the deepest, darkest reaches of your inner self, you'll find answers.

Inspired by

How to play
WASD move, Mouse to aim. Click to shoot. Like Gears Of War meets David Lynch.

And this is all I got so far. Going to be billboard sprites (easy to make!) on a 3d background (looks great!)

« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 06:28:08 AM by hell0jed » Logged
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 11:39:37 AM »

Those are some strange graphics you got there. Though I guess it fits a lynchian experience.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
hell0jed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 11:27:22 PM »

Those are some strange graphics you got there. Though I guess it fits a lynchian experience.

They're pretty temporary. I tend to do code first then art.

Speaking of, I have WASD movement! and some cross-hairs that are mouse controlled. I need to figure out how to get this to work right, since aiming is pretty awkward.

hell0jed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 08:14:37 PM »

took a day of wrangling, but I got 2 different billboards to render.

That orange blob is supposed to be a bullet.

That's what I get for trying to make everything Object Oriented.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 10:10:19 PM »

You guys are silly, OOP is very nice.

hell0jed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 07:46:34 AM »

Heh, I fixed the gremlin. So now I can start writing the bullet class.

main.cs is a mess, as always
hell0jed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 02:06:55 PM »

Concept art! Hey, maybe I'll get far enough to make this.

Now I just need monsters....and other assets. This is where the fun begins.
hell0jed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 07:56:04 AM »

Sort of abandoned the whole david lynch thing and went for a "Shoot enemies until you die!" thing

deathtotheweird
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 02:18:38 PM »

You should find an alternate download host and update your links in the finished thread.

May I suggest dropbox, google sites, or even mediafire would be preferable to what you have now. None of those require captchas and waiting limits.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2010, 10:03:45 PM »

First of all, I'll have to echo allen on this one. The file host you picked is very bad and annoying to use. There are several better free file hosts you can use instead. I suggest you look into them.

Second, most people are instantly put off by having to install such a small game. It's adviseable that you make the game playable without needing to install it first.

As for the game itself, it's slightly entertaining for a short while, but there's really not much to it. It also suffers from increasingly bad framerate hiccups as the number of ghosts increase, at least on my computer (which is somewhat beefy). The flamethrower seemed to have made matters worse as well on that front.

Soulliard
Level 10

The artist formerly known as Nightshade

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2010, 06:45:13 PM »

The first time I tried this, the focus was on another window when I started. Even though the game was in the background, it still trapped my mouse in the center of the screen, so I couldn't use or close either the window or the game. I had to restart the computer to get out of this state. So this game didn't leave a good first impression.

Now, as for the game itself... It's a top-down arena shooter. There's really not much more to say than that. There's nothing wrong with it, per se, but nothing stands out. The graphics are okay, but not exceptional. The controls are fine, although I found the mouse aiming to be a bit slow and unresponsive. While the gameplay is competent, there's nothing unique about it. Really, it just makes me wish I was playing Geometry Wars or Return to Sector 9.

This game just needs a unique twist of some sort to make it stand out from the sea of games that are exactly like it.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic