Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 10:58:36 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallAction Escape Kitty
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Action Escape Kitty  (Read 8414 times)
Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:00:44 PM »

A simple score-focused shooter I made.

Play it here: http://www.mochigames.com/game/action-escape-kitty/?mgref=homepage_feature
Let me know of any problems.

Those that try it please post feedback and criticism. Grin
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:53:21 AM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
raiten
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 11:59:12 PM »

Very nice work, graphics in particular are super good looking.

I think the game could be harder from the start though, the only thing that was hard was to die Wink. It's obviously a conscious choice you've made (i.e. for example not being able to collide with enemies) but personally I think it's a little too easy, especially considering the type of game. if it were level-based, I think this difficulty would be OK, but not when it's arcade get a high score. I'd like it if the main character were faster too.
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 12:34:06 AM »

Yeah, I could experiment with making the difficulty increase faster in the earlier portions. I've had several people saying the character should be faster, but I don't want to increase his movement speed more than a little, as I feel this speed is somewhat optimal.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 12:55:06 AM »

Nice simple game. I actually liked the difficulty curve, but I'm generally pretty terrible at shmups. Even still, first impression I only thought there were two enemies.

Certainly not a fan of the main character design, anthropomorphic animals flying at break neck speed shooting things is a bit silly!! But it's a fun game so I can easily overlook that. I generally would prefer levels rather than the endless high-score attack thing but it's still cool for a few play-throughs, probably not much more.

At one point I had one heart left and just couldnt die? As long as I kept shooting I was invincible, I even tried to die unintentionally 'cause I thought it was a bug..is it?
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 01:06:38 AM »

Certainly not a fan of the main character design, anthropomorphic animals flying at break neck speed shooting things is a bit silly!!

I was certainly not going for anything that should be taken seriously. Tongue

At one point I had one heart left and just couldnt die? As long as I kept shooting I was invincible, I even tried to die unintentionally 'cause I thought it was a bug..is it?

That... actually looks like a bug. Could you detail anything that comes to mind that you were doing when it happened? I never had that happen before.

deathtotheweird
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 01:48:31 AM »

Well I was just playing the game normally, hand mashed down on the fire button. I noticed I had one health left and it lasted forever. Oh and I only used the special button a few times in the whole game. Wish I had more information, but that's all I was doing..
Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 10:44:07 AM »

I'll have to see if I can repeat that myself.

EDIT: After plenty of testing I can't repeat what happened with you allen. Perhaps you really weren't hit? The collision box of the player is pretty small and forgiving. You have to have a bullet hit you in the center of your sprite for you to be hit (you can also squeeze through the shots of the wall of drones (the smallest enemy)).

I've also found out the source of one of the performance issues I was having, and should be able to fix it. However, if your problem is screen-tearing, I can't help you. That's because of Flash's lack of vsync and the fact most browsers limit Flash's framerate. Not much I can do about those.

EDIT2: I've uploaded a new version, that should alleviate some performance issues, and I made it so the player moves slower while firing and faster while not, to encourage people to let go of that button once in a while. Tongue Also increased the speed at which difficulty increases slightly.

EDIT3: If anyone can tell me whether or not you could rate my game right now it would be appreciated. I think people can only rate my game once it's ready for sponsor bidding, but I'm not sure. So until the game's approved by FGL I'll disallow people to see it, so I can get people to actually rate the game after they play it, since most people only bother with a game once.

EDIT4: Nevermind, found out people can rate my game. Maybe I need a minimum number of ratings before it shows for me?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 11:13:11 AM by Melly » Logged

agj
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 04:57:37 PM »

I don't have an account, but good luck, and congrats!

ChevyRay
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 05:46:18 PM »

Certainly not a fan of the main character design, anthropomorphic animals flying at break neck speed shooting things is a bit silly!!

Maybe so, but if you look at video games objectively, almost all of them are quite silly if you look at them the right way. Pretend-shooting pretend-bad guys with guns is completely silly. This isn't a defensive/argumentative thought, by the way, it's more of a "huh, I just realized" thought. One of those things that you don't think about unless you think about it. Yeah.

Love the game, Melly, but you already heard it from me. I don't agree with the difficulty criticism, though, I almost had no complaint about the difficulty at all myself, and felt it had quite a nice pace to it. (Although... I only played two games in a row, playing more might reveal a need for a quicker ramp, not sure.)

Good luck with sponsorships Smiley
jrjellybeans
Level 3

They're All Gonna Laugh At You

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 06:58:56 PM »

I thought the game was amazing.  Great action with great graphics and sound.  I'm sure it will do lovely on Flash.

My only complaint was the seemingly lack of progress in the game.  It would have been awesome if you could have used your points at the end of each try to build a better ship.

But, overall, I loved it and rated it a 9.

AlexanderOcias
Level 0

Games that change people

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 07:14:27 PM »

I am going to assume that the purpose of this game is purely profit, so feedback aimed towards that:

-In general I'm struggling to read the font, but also way too much text in the menus, this is an action game, not a novel. You could lose potential players before they even begin the game.
Have you thought about replacing the text like so?:

Instructions
(arrow keys image) = "move"
(c key image) = "rapidfire" or (image of cat firing)
[skip the move-slower hint, people will realise that on their own, ]
5 x [bullet image] = "Game Over" or (skull image)
[x key image] = "Bomb" or (cat with shield image)

Don't let people set the framerate over 60, and scrap that whole paragraph in the options. There's no benefit to it.

- There isn't anything compelling players to attempt the game more than once, let alone return to the game at a later date. Multiple views per person is a must for profit. Have you thought about procedurally generating the pattern of enemies? Also, simple unlocks granted at certain score thresholds? (20000 - optionally replace the bomb with 5-seconds-of-super-rapid-fire, 30000 - optionally play as a red cat, 40000 - optionally replace rapidfire with diagonal-heavy-fire, etc etc)
Carrot on a stick is missing, basically. I'd steer very clear of straight-upgrades though, this is enjoyable as a skill tester. Time invested should not equal player strength.

- The bomb/shield is too minor an element, have you tried making it wipe the screen of enemies as well as bullets?
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 08:25:03 PM »

Loved it, Melly! :D couldn't find any bugs, and the art style was very cool. Loved the game in general, would rate again, enjoyed spamming bullets and asploding some enemies. only complaint was the lack of gratuitous smoky particle spamming on the larger enemies' death.

PsySal
Level 8

Yaay!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 03:47:51 PM »

Really fun, I have to say that I like that the hitbox on the cat was forgiving. Great music, quite fun and perfect scope for a flash game I think. Best of luck!
IagoTheMad
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 12:54:45 PM »

Looks cute! I'm a sucker for pixel art
BoxedLunch
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 02:48:18 PM »

i like it. alot.  Hand Thumbs Up Left
increpare
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2010, 03:03:17 PM »

When can I play this, man?
Geti
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2010, 05:42:23 PM »

Uh, now, on FGL?

Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 09:51:32 AM »

that screen shot looks great - could you record a video of it in action?  Grin
(I dont have a FGL login sadly)

Melly
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 11:12:53 AM »

I'm currently working on a hopefully amusing trailer that shows off the gameplay.

When can I play this, man?

In FGL, or as soon as I find someplace that will give me a decent ammount of money.

Phasma Felis
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 02:34:17 PM »

Yes! We should stick to serious topics for video games, like mushroom-hungry, turtle-hating plumbers.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic