Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411282 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:39:36 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityJams & EventsCompetitionsOld CompetitionsVGNGLittle Hitler in Toyland (Test demo inside)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Little Hitler in Toyland (Test demo inside)  (Read 18777 times)
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« on: March 16, 2008, 10:56:03 PM »

Update: 12:45 AM, March 25th

45 minutes past the deadline.

Didn't quite make it.

Just to show that the game is feature complete though, here's a build of my test level:

http://willhostforfood.com/files/5900079/LHiTrar

If you've been following the thread then you know that some people will experience graphics glitches that make the tiles jitter for some unknown reason.  I don't know what to do about it.  Hopefully it works for you.

I'll get to some real level editing, and most likely better info screens and music, but for now I'm bushed.

Edit:
Even though it's not in the compo this is the most complete I've ever made a game.  Feedback on the demo is appreciated.  C'mon, try it out Smiley Let me know what you think.

----------------------------------
Original post:

Well, I've got a fair amount done so far, and it looks like I might actually be able to finish in time, so here goes.

Poor Little Hitler.  None of the other kids will play with him.  One day he got angry and smashed all their toys!  But he didn't stop there... to make sure that no child will ever be happy again, he's going to smash all the toys in Toyland!

Finished:
  • Platform engine
  • Collisions and health
  • Character sprites
  • Sound effects (courtesy of SFXR)
  • Foreground tiles
  • (Some) background tiles
  • (Most) enemy sprites
  • (Some) enemy AI

To do:
  • Level changing sequences
  • Music (most likely will just rip apart some NES midis)
  • Finish up a couple enemies
  • Intro scene and game over panels
  • Level design for three or four levels (depending on what I have time for)

I'll see if I can get some screenshots up soon.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 10:56:56 AM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 12:01:35 AM »

hahaha, awesome.  Hitler's never been cuter. Embarrassed
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 12:07:13 AM »

Maaaan, my game is totally going to get lost in the slew of other shark and Hitler-related games.

Seriously, though, looking good.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Farbs
Man
Level 10

/Farbs

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 03:46:42 AM »

Purdy!
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 12:12:54 PM »

Hey, thanks guys.

hahaha, awesome.  Hitler's never been cuter. Embarrassed

Ah, good.  I was hoping for that.  I must admit I was a little hesitant to make a game where you play Hitler, for obvious reasons.  I decided early on it should be cutesy and satirical.  Young Hitler throwing a tantrum and smashing everyone's toys = funny.  Add in references to the Holocaust... not so much.

Anyway, I've got the first screenshot that doesn't involve placeholder graphics:

Zoomed in for toy-gibbage goodness:

It's still looking a little bare because I don't have all the tiles implemented yet, and there's still only one enemy that's 100% complete, but it's progress.  I'm also still playing around with the background tiles, trying to get something that gives a little more separation without being too dark.  That's what I get for not planning out my palettes in advance Sad  The parallax helps a little in-game, but not quite enough.

List of enemies slated for the finished version:
  • Wooden ducks (Patrol back and forth)
  • Airplanes (Like ducks, but in the air)
  • Spinning tops (Chase the player)
  • Jacks-in-the-Box (Jump and chase the player)
  • Cannons that shoot explosive, bouncy balls
  • SPIKES! (Toyland is a dangerous place)

And if I have time I'll make a wind-up tin soldier that shoots.

Bonus footage: some hot behind-the-scenes action of my preliminary cannon test:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 12:15:38 PM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
ChevyRay
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 12:58:58 PM »

Two. Many balls!

Very cute. Not a fan of the background (but you said yourself tiles are only half-done), but I'm itching to smash some ducks with a hammer!

IDEA! You should make a train track, with a tunnel at either side of one level. And the train will come zooming by occasionally; if you don't jump up and ride on it, it'll run you down! Just a 'lil toy one though. Grin
deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 02:04:33 PM »

IDEA! You should make a train track, with a tunnel at either side of one level. And the train will come zooming by occasionally; if you don't jump up and ride on it, it'll run you down! Just a 'lil toy one though. Grin

I considered this very thing, but decided against it.  Coding in moving platforms would require a revamp of the engine, and I'm trying to keep things light for the competition so I have a chance to finish in time.  I might try to flesh this out into a full game after the competition's over, and if so I'll definitely put this in (along with the toy factory levels I originally envisioned with all the conveyors and such).

tweet tweet @j_younger
shockedfrog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 09:16:44 AM »

Having decided not to make Hitler's Frog Smash, this is certainly the Hitler-with-a-Hammer game to watch. Looking good. Smiley
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 01:23:46 PM »

Wow this game looks awesome. And it has baby hitler in it, so double awesome.

PHeMoX
Level 2

"All bugs are belong to us."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 05:56:16 PM »

Don't forget to make Hitler a very hyper-active guy... after all he did get 4 injections of speed (yes, the drugs) every day!  :D

"Fun is rule."
superflat
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 06:03:17 PM »

I know it's a kid Hitler, but couldn't he have his moustache?

Looks wicked by the way, sort of reminds me of Castle of Illusion on the Megadrive.

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 09:52:40 PM »

I know it's a kid Hitler, but couldn't he have his moustache?

Looks wicked by the way, sort of reminds me of Castle of Illusion on the Megadrive.

I thought about it, but I decided not to because that would contradict the "little" part.  And now that I've drawn all his animations there isn't any room left on his face for a stache, and at this point I'm really not going to go back and redraw them.

Speaking of redrawing, after what Chevy said about the background I'm worried that it is a little too bland.  I was planning on keeping it simple, but I'm finding that having a plain pattern like that leaves little room for improvement.  Looks like I'm going to have to bite the bullet and try to come up with a real set of background tiles after all.

Edit:  Thanks for mentioning Castle of Illusion.  I just looked up some screenshots and got some inspiration for what I could do with the background (In other words I'mma steal some shit from it)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 09:59:12 PM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 10:38:13 PM »

Will James Pond be included in this?

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 07:19:14 PM »

What's new:
- Cannons and cannonballs are complete.  Lil' Hitler can knock the balls away with the hammer if he's quick.  (Possible boss fight mechanic in the future?  I think so, but not in time for the competition.)

- Jack in the Box complete, though not with all the animations I had wanted (and drawn).  I can't seem to get the animations to play properly, so a simple "opened" and "closed" will have to do, and it really doesn't look that bad that way.

What's changed:
- The background.  I know it doesn't look very Toylandish, but I like it and it took forever to draw so it's staying.  I'll have other foreground stuff that's more toylike so that should make up for it.  I'll probably have a second background for one of the levels, but expect a palette swap on this one at least once.

New screen:

Will James Pond be included in this?

I don't know what this means Embarrassed

tweet tweet @j_younger
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 07:28:42 PM »

That's because I have a bad habit of making nerdy references to video games that nobody remembers!

James Pond is a horrible game that glitched frequently and gave me nightmares in my youth. It was about a fish who goes to Santa's workshop and fights a bunch of toys. In toyland.

The cover art shows the fish flashing a big gun around, but the game is actually geared towards very young kids and so no firearms are actually included in the game itself.

That aside, this looks like the best thing to hit video games since Cool Spot!

/nerdy references.

ChevyRay
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2008, 08:50:29 PM »

Okay, you seriously did improve the background.

I LOVE it.

Finish it! Grin Grin

That aside, this looks like the best thing to hit video games since Cool Spot!
... Huh?
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2008, 09:29:31 PM »

Will Zool be included in it? Tongue :D

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
shockedfrog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 07:45:33 AM »

Yay for new background!

So glad someone else mentioned James Pond so I wasn't alone in thinking like that Smiley There were three James Pond games, all of them had a fair bit of glitchiness and also a few nice features, but the second one (Robocod - I think that's the one Smithy means) is the only one which I remember being much fun at the time. I don't think it's aged particularly well, but for some reason it's been ported for GBA and DS, so someone must still buying them.

I've never played the full Zool, the demo was fun though mainly for daft stuff like being able to chop up the bananas.

Cool Spot, Robocod, Zool, yay for product placement platformers. I haven't played much of Cool Spot either, but I wonder if there's any connection between the quality of each game and it's product?
Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 11:12:02 AM »

... Huh?

.... Huh?

deadeye
First Manbaby Home
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2008, 01:21:42 PM »

I'm not ready to upload anything to the general public yet, but I do have a demo I need tested.  Basically I need a person or two with a fast computer and a good graphics card to test it out and see if it's running at a playable speed.  I have a piece of shit dinosaur computer made of twigs and bones, and it runs pretty fast for me, so I'm kinda worried it'll be too fast for most people.

If you want to give it a go, PM me.  I'll send the download link to the first two takers.

Edit:  Testers found.  No need to PM me.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 03:25:25 PM by deadeye » Logged

tweet tweet @j_younger
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic